Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So what's the general consensus - get a laptop or not bother?

I've got a desktop at home, with a cordless keyboard and mouse, a printer, and a tft screen. Thing is, it is probably about 4/5 years old now (the actual computer, not the screen/printer etc) and is in need of some upgrading (more memory for eg)..

The only real reasons I can see for getting a laptop would be the space I would potentially save in my room as well as the fact that when I come home (and it's a 3+ hour journey) i'd be able to work on the train. I intend to come back about once a month if I can so it would probably be a significant amount of time I could do work in.. hmm. Any ideas?

I don't think I will make any purchases until after the start of term so I can see how much need I actually have for a laptop.. Maybe it will make a good christmas present!! But i'd be interested to hear anyones views??

ReputationRep:
    I've got a laptop and use it loads. It's nice not being stuck at a desk- you can do your work anywhere, so in the summer it'll be quite nice to sit outside rather than being stuck in a stuffy room. The only downside is that (with mine anyway) every time I disconnect my printer, I have to reinstall it, which is a pain in the a*se :mad: But either way I'd still choose a laptop over a pc

ReputationRep:
    As I speak I'm sat on my bed with my laptop on my erm, lap! It's great for watching DVDs in bed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    The only downside is that (with mine anyway) every time I disconnect my printer, I have to reinstall it, which is a pain in the a*se :mad: But either way I'd still choose a laptop over a pc
    Mine doesn't do that - do you have XP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    So what's the general consensus - get a laptop or not bother?

I've got a desktop at home, with a cordless keyboard and mouse, a printer, and a tft screen. Thing is, it is probably about 4/5 years old now (the actual computer, not the screen/printer etc) and is in need of some upgrading (more memory for eg)..

The only real reasons I can see for getting a laptop would be the space I would potentially save in my room as well as the fact that when I come home (and it's a 3+ hour journey) i'd be able to work on the train. I intend to come back about once a month if I can so it would probably be a significant amount of time I could do work in.. hmm. Any ideas?

I don't think I will make any purchases until after the start of term so I can see how much need I actually have for a laptop.. Maybe it will make a good christmas present!! But i'd be interested to hear anyones views??
    It would probably be worth getting a laptop, with the intnetion of not playing games on it. You can easily pass the time on the train by using your laptop.

The common mistake that students do, is that when they actually go hunting for a laptop, they go into places like Dixons, Pc World, etc, and pay an absolute fortune for them, for like the latest laptop, which have everything but the kitchen sink. They buy like some crazy spec laptop, sure its good for games, has nice graphics, but what the hell is the point when you only need something to surf the web, or word process something?

My advice is to shop around, look in places like eBay, for a laptop, you dont wanna pay too much, however you also dont want a cheap *****y laptop. Prices have come down quite a lot, I personally have one, and the novelty soon wore off. So don't buy one, just cause everyone else is.

Concerning the laptop istself, you would want something that has something along the lines of 400mhz+, 128MB RAM, CD/Floppy drive, so that you can watch movies whilst on the train, or save documents so that you can transfer them acros the Uni's comps. You would also want something that has a thing called USB, these are ports that allow you to plug the mouse in, use things like pen drives, use printers, etc. I wouldn't pay anything more than £350.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Yeah, am I doing something wrong?? I'm the only person I know with a laptop so I don't know whether it's just something stupid I doing/not doing. Everytime I disconnect my printer (so, everytime I've finished using it), the next time I come to use it I have to reinstall it again?? Does yours not do that?

ReputationRep:
    Just download something like WinDVD. It will allow you to play VCD's and if you have a DVD drive, DVD's too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Just download something like WinDVD. It will allow you to play VCD's and if you have a DVD drive, DVD's too.
    I've got PowerDVD and Divx. I was talking about the printer situation.

Do you have more than one USB connection? Mine only likes being plugged into one of the two - same with the mouse.

ReputationRep:
    It would probably be worth getting a laptop, with the intnetion of not playing games on it. You can easily pass the time on the train by using your laptop.

The common mistake that students do, is that when they actually go hunting for a laptop, they go into places like Dixons, Pc World, etc, and pay an absolute fortune for them, for like the latest laptop, which have everything but the kitchen sink. They buy like some crazy spec laptop, sure its good for games, has nice graphics, but what the hell is the point when you only need something to surf the web, or word process something?

My advice is to shop around, look in places like eBay, for a laptop, you dont wanna pay too much, however you also dont want a cheap *****y laptop. Prices have come down quite a lot, I personally have one, and the novelty soon wore off. So don't buy one, just cause everyone else is.

Concerning the laptop istself, you would want something that has something along the lines of 400mhz+, 128MB RAM, CD/Floppy drive, so that you can watch movies whilst on the train, or save documents so that you can transfer them acros the Uni's comps. You would also want something that has a thing called USB, these are ports that allow you to plug the mouse in, use things like pen drives, use printers, etc. I wouldn't pay anything more than £350.
    Having said that, I own two laptops already, which are like ninja spec laptops. Oh, did I mention that touchpads are darn annoying?

ReputationRep:
    kerry won every state! kerry won........

*goes off and sobs*

thats it, im campaigning for bush!

ReputationRep:
    i've got a dell laptop which cost me about £850 but i'm living at home.. its just useful cos it doesn't take up much space and i can take when i go away, or if i stay at my bfs house... its ok 4 games but didn't really buy it for that- i am gonna put the games on my house computer!!! they are good cos you can put them away and they take up no room!!!

ReputationRep:

Do you have more than one USB connection? Mine only likes being plugged into one of the two - same with the mouse.
    No, I've got 3 (I think!) and can use all of them. Perhaps it's just my laptop- I'll have to give Packard Bell a ring and see what they say.

I'd second what Bhaal85 said though about not paying full price but I would give the main stores a try- they're so desperate for a sale you can get loads off the price

ReputationRep:

Depends upon your laptop/pc. You can buy those adapters that make one USB port into two, and they are fairly cheap, however they tend to stick out.

WinXP = Installs all the devices for you.
    Win98 = Should install it for you, as the device is classed as plug and play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Yeah, am I doing something wrong?? I'm the only person I know with a laptop so I don't know whether it's just something stupid I doing/not doing. Everytime I disconnect my printer (so, everytime I've finished using it), the next time I come to use it I have to reinstall it again?? Does yours not do that?

mine doesn't do that...

are you using the manufacturers installation pack or the 'found new hardware' wizard on XP?

ReputationRep:
    remember! laptops are easier to steal and students are often targets of crime at university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i've got a dell laptop which cost me about £850 but i'm living at home.. its just useful cos it doesn't take up much space and i can take when i go away, or if i stay at my bfs house... its ok 4 games but didn't really buy it for that- i am gonna put the games on my house computer!!! they are good cos you can put them away and they take up no room!!!
    Really? Which dell, I have that really tiny one, that's really lightweight, suits me fine . I also got a DVD writer and floppy, that are hot-swappable.

ReputationRep:
    I have a laptop rucksack as well which is really good for carrying it off to the library. Also, when I'm going home (6-hour drive) I can stuff everything to do with it (digital camera, mouse, charger, ethernet wire etc) all shoved in the other parts of the rucksack so I have a computer bag and don't forget anything!

ReputationRep:

Ah I already have a very nice computer shop Thanks for the advice. I'd like dvd as well!! I have a few questions about the usb ports - my computer has only got 2 so I've had to buy a special adaptor thing for plugging things in (printer, minidisc, digital camera) - how many is standard on a laptop?

Can I plug my printer into a laptop or would it not be compatible?!

Hmmm.. can't think of any more qs right now.. I don't suppose there is an equivalent to a TV card that I could get for a laptop?! I like having tv on my computer.

I guess it would be ludicrous to take my desktop and a laptop..

ReputationRep:
    Depends upon your laptop/pc. You can buy those adapters that make one USB port into two, and they are fairly cheap, however they tend to stick out.

I meant, if you have more than one USB port (I have two) use the same one each time you use your printer - it solved my problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    mine doesn't do that...

are you using the manufacturers installation pack or the 'found new hardware' wizard on XP?
    Well the printer is my dad's old one for his pc. When I plug it in, 'Found New Hardware' comes up and I have to use the printer's installation disk to install it, run a test sheet etc etc. It's a real pain so I usually just save my documents to disk and print them off on our pc. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong??

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.