Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Really? Which dell, I have that really tiny one, that's really lightweight, suits me fine . I also got a DVD writer and floppy, that are hot-swappable.

Its only an inspiron 1100 or something- not very top of the range!!! it has a dvd rom and cdrw and external floppy drive and 2 usb ports.... just bog standard really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I meant, if you have more than one USB port (I have two) use the same one each time you use your printer - it solved my problems
    Yes it would solve your problem. As each port is uniquely identified, each time you swap the devices with the ports you confuse the computer. If you cant remeber which one you originally plugged the device in, then get a USB hub/expansion.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it would solve your problem. As each port is uniquely identified, each time you swap the devices with the ports you confuse the computer. If you cant remeber which one you originally plugged the device in, then get a USB hub/expansion.
    its im possible to get this thread off topic!

but really, my cousin got a 17' powerbook for going off to uni....she likes hers a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    Ah I already have a very nice computer shop Thanks for the advice. I'd like dvd as well!! I have a few questions about the usb ports - my computer has only got 2 so I've had to buy a special adaptor thing for plugging things in (printer, minidisc, digital camera) - how many is standard on a laptop?

Can I plug my printer into a laptop or would it not be compatible?!

Hmmm.. can't think of any more qs right now.. I don't suppose there is an equivalent to a TV card that I could get for a laptop?! I like having tv on my computer.

I guess it would be ludicrous to take my desktop and a laptop..
    Argh! Can't remeber what it is called, but you can get a little adapter that goes into your USB port that give you an extra port. Its not the hub type, its a small sized thing a ma jig. Argh. Don't you ate it when that happens?

ReputationRep:
    Argh! Can't remeber what it is called, but you can get a little adapter that goes into your USB port that give you an extra port. Its not the hub type, its a small sized thing a ma jig. Argh. Don't you ate it when that happens?
    not particularly......no.

im bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    its im possible to get this thread off topic!

but really, my cousin got a 17' powerbook for going off to uni....she likes hers a lot.
    Yes, but your cousin will probably find that there is limited software for her powerbook, and she will have to pay a higher premium for it, too.

Though, they are extremely good looking machines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    kerry won every state! kerry won........

*goes off and sobs*

thats it, im campaigning for bush!
    I'm a bit of a fan of the old Bush as well as you can see from my sig- I think he's hilarious

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but your cousin will probably find that there is limited software for her powerbook, and she will have to pay a higher premium for it, too.

Though, they are extremely good looking machines.
    yes, but shes been at uni a semester now, and she would have told me if there was a problem.......

shes my best bud.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it works better to install hardware without hte 'found new hardware' wizard - I usually close it and follow manufacturers' instructions instead. But if you're using the installation disc, I don't know....computer problems are beyond me. Ahhh the convenience of living next door to a compsci

Buying laptops...just searched for mine on Ebay - it's a cool lil' sony vaio fx802. Decent spec but nothing mindblowing. It's on for £285 *sulks* It was triple that 18 months ago :'(

ReputationRep:
    AH wow I'm definitely warming to the idea of a laptop now that I see you CAN get external tv tuners that plug into the usb. I guess I could use my hub USB adapter as I wouldn't really want to use digital camera/printer/tv tuner/net md whilst travelling around!

ReputationRep:
    AH wow I'm definitely warming to the idea of a laptop now that I see you CAN get external tv tuners that plug into the usb. I guess I could use my hub USB adapter as I wouldn't really want to use digital camera/printer/tv tuner/net md whilst travelling around!
    You will definitely want an external mouse, if you are on the laptop for a long length of time, it can become quite tedious using the touch pad. Hehe, that was the main reason I bought a laptop, just for the touchpad. lol.

ReputationRep:
    You will definitely want an external mouse, if you are on the laptop for a long length of time, it can become quite tedious using the touch pad. Hehe, that was the main reason I bought a laptop, just for the touchpad. lol.
    Oooh yeah I hate those things!!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh yeah I hate those things!!
    In answer to your original question. Yes it would be worth buying for uni, I know that you will probably ignore half of what I said but don't spend too much on one, get a decent case, and look after it.

I'm off now, bye curryAdd, bye everyone.

ReputationRep:
    In answer to your original question. Yes it would be worth buying for uni, I know that you will probably ignore half of what I said but don't spend too much on one, get a decent case, and look after it.

bye...i feel so specail im mentioned specifically!

*special

have a good darl.

ReputationRep:

nah I shant ignore what you said. My brother is like.. I don't know what his job title actually is but he does a lot of freelance computer stuff - building them and setting up radio internetty things etc. Anyway, he'd never let me go to pc world and just get one! Hehe. I would like to spend a little more than £350 - am used to my computer providing tv, music, dvd player, as well as all the internet stuff. So would really like to be able to carry on having it like that!! *It will in the end work out cheaper and easier than getting a seperate tv, dvd.*

I'd best be off too. I won't be GOING to university if I don't do any work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    Well the printer is my dad's old one for his pc. When I plug it in, 'Found New Hardware' comes up and I have to use the printer's installation disk to install it, run a test sheet etc etc. It's a real pain so I usually just save my documents to disk and print them off on our pc. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong??
    try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website

ReputationRep:
    http://www.alienware.co.uk/system_pages/area-51m.aspx

if money wasn't a consideration .

it plays games and all the other things.

i would want a laptop with a dvd rw drive. not really to pissed about other big things. i am looking to spend 1100 max. should be able to get a niceone for that price.

Sony ones looks cool , and dell ones .

ReputationRep:
    i always go for AMD cpus's, much better value for money and preform better than the same spec pentium chips.
    I want a athlon64, but windows doesnt support 64 bit processors (very well)

ReputationRep:
    I love my laptop its great and it wasnt too expensive although I had to buy extra memory. It takes up tons less space and is portable which is brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    i prefer having a desktop, easier to upgrade stuff

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.