Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    True, but portability is a vital aspect which desktops can't match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    The apple laptops are nice, I'd like to have something like that for uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    i never really need portability - i suppose it depends on the needes of the user

ReputationRep:
    I think I've decided that I will get a laptop to take to uni. I want to be able to sit on my bed and do my work!! Also the portability would be lovely seeing as I'll probably be at my boyfriend's a fair bit & it will be good to have it there with me, as well as when I'm on the train home.

I've been looking at ACER laptops, and when the time comes (won't get it til end of August) I might go for one. They seem to have a big wide variety, prices from £400 to waay over £1000. I expect I'll end up spending about £600/£700 - because I want one with a dvd drive as well as cd rw facilities, and 4 USB ports will suit me just fine.

Hopefully I'll get the full grant thing they are doing this year (low income family), so I'll have £1000 set aside for the laptop as well as extras (bag, blank cds, mousemat, some dvds to watch and cds to burn ) Oh yes, and I think I'll get a tv tuner that receives digital satellite so I'll be able to have freeview on it too! ! AS well as burn tv programmes onto CDs ! AH how exciting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    I think I've decided that I will get a laptop to take to uni. I want to be able to sit on my bed and do my work!! Also the portability would be lovely seeing as I'll probably be at my boyfriend's a fair bit & it will be good to have it there with me, as well as when I'm on the train home.

I've been looking at ACER laptops, and when the time comes (won't get it til end of August) I might go for one. They seem to have a big wide variety, prices from £400 to waay over £1000. I expect I'll end up spending about £600/£700 - because I want one with a dvd drive as well as cd rw facilities, and 4 USB ports will suit me just fine.

Hopefully I'll get the full grant thing they are doing this year (low income family), so I'll have £1000 set aside for the laptop as well as extras (bag, blank cds, mousemat, some dvds to watch and cds to burn ) Oh yes, and I think I'll get a tv tuner that receives digital satellite so I'll be able to have freeview on it too! ! AS well as burn tv programmes onto CDs ! AH how exciting!
    I've got an ACER Laptop, they're much easier to move around, but you need to be sensible with it when you get it. My DVD collection has increased quite a lot

ReputationRep:

tv cards are cool, u are still meant to have to get a tv licence if u have one tho, but i don't know if they actually check

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    tv cards are cool, u are still meant to have to get a tv licence if u have one tho, but i don't know if they actually check
    Ah yes I'm a long term fan of tv cards - theyve come a long time lately, practically like having TiVo cos you can pause as well as record tv programmes - i was researching this earlier and was shocked at how good they are now!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes I'm a long term fan of tv cards - theyve come a long time lately, practically like having TiVo cos you can pause as well as record tv programmes - i was researching this earlier and was shocked at how good they are now!!!
    tv-out cards can be handy to - i always thing games look better on a tv

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.