The Student Room Group

English Language/Linguistics Applicants 2013 Thread!

Wasn't sure whether to put this in English or foreign languages but here we go :redface:

Original post by bíborcsiga
Hi everyone,

Last years' thread was created in July, so unless I've overlooked an already existing one, we're lagging behind!

Anyway, I hope there will be a few of us here discussing and/or obsessing. :smile:

Linguistics Applicants for 2013

(If you wish to be included, quote me. :smile:)

bíborcsiga: Cambridge (Newnham)

cchloee: Cambridge, UCL, SOAS

ConnorM: Cambridge (King's), UCL, Manchester, Edinburgh, King's College (London)

emoss: Cambridge (Trinity), Edinburgh, York, Manchester, Newcastle

evalo: Cambridge (Jesus), Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Cardiff (English Language)

Florence321: Cambridge (Clare), UCL, Leeds

graskl: Cambridge (Jesus), York, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds

h0ll: Cambridge (Emmanuel), Leeds, York, Newcastle, Lancaster

Powerfrau: Cambridge (Magdalene), York, Lancaster, Leeds, Essex

savingthestars: Cambridge (Newnham), Manchester, York, Bangor

ktlaurenroe: Manchester, York, Leeds, Newcastle and Salford
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
...am I the only one? :cry2:
I'm applying for English Literature and Linguistics and English Language and Literature. QMUL does English Language and Linguistics, but that doesn't appeal to me as much. I don't think I could do solely English Language - I'd miss the Literature aspect too much!
Reply 3
Original post by Anna.Karenina
I'm applying for English Literature and Linguistics and English Language and Literature. QMUL does English Language and Linguistics, but that doesn't appeal to me as much. I don't think I could do solely English Language - I'd miss the Literature aspect too much!

I'm like the opposite, can't wait to stop doing literature :tongue: I do like some parts of it but not enough to take it at university!

Where else are you applying? I looked at QMUL briefly and it did look quite good - it's way too far away from where I live now though, and I don't really want to go too far :colondollar:
Reply 4
We have loads of applicants to Reading every year for our BA in English Language. Worth a look? UCL, King's College London and Cardiff are also well-regarded for Linguistics / English Language or similar. Or are you more interested in universities in the north of England? Leeds is pretty good and has a WONDERFUL student union (I studied and lectured there!). I did my first degree at York St John (a very long time ago now) and loved York to bits.

When I went to university we tried to get as far away from our parents as possible!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by JaneSetter
We have loads of applicants to Reading every year for our BA in English Language. Worth a look? UCL, King's College London and Cardiff are also well-regarded for Linguistics / English Language or similar. Or are you more interested in universities in the north of England? Leeds is pretty good and has a WONDERFUL student union (I studied and lectured there!). I did my first degree at York St John (a very long time ago now) and loved York to bits.

When I went to university we tried to get as far away from our parents as possible!

Leeds is far too close :tongue: I do want to move away, but not too far. I don't think I'd have a chance of getting into UCL/King's either, to be honest!

Also, I'm not sure about applying for English language as well as linguistics. From what I've been told it'd be risky since the subjects are slightly different (and obviously my personal statement has to be convincing)... but then again, from what I can tell, they don't seem too different. So I'm not sure :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Also, I'm not sure about applying for English language as well as linguistics. From what I've been told it'd be risky since the subjects are slightly different (and obviously my personal statement has to be convincing)... but then again, from what I can tell, they don't seem too different. So I'm not sure :redface:

Often the main difference between Linguistics and English Language is that BA English Language focuses on the English language - no surprise there - and it's often more to do with how people are using English (varieties, social groups, code-mixing etc), how we acquire it (first and/or second language), history of the language, development as an international lingua franca, literacy, discourse, sometimes creative writing (not at Reading). You do have to do grammar and phonology, too!

Linguistics can be much more theoretical - i.e., less applied - and you most certainly will do grammar and phonology, but will be looking at different theories, whereas you might not do this in English Language. E.g., in phonology you might look at transformational generative phonology, optimality theory, natural phonology, etc.. You will also be looking at different languages as it's not possible to consider all aspects of e.g. grammar by looking at English. Some languages are subject-object-verb (SOV), for example; some are less tense and more aspect; morphology differs across languages. That's not to say you won't also be doing e.g. language acquisition and sociolinguistics.

You can probably write a convincing personal statement that would work for both subject areas, but it's worth thinking what exactly you are interested in when selecting programmes.

My main issue with personal statements on applications for our joint programmes is when the subjects are much less well related - e.g. English Language & Literature - and the candidate goes on and on about Jane Austen and creative writing, with no reference to our subject area at all! REJECT.
Often the main difference between Linguistics and English Language is that BA English Language focuses on the English language - no surprise there - and it's often more to do with how people are using English (varieties, social groups, code-mixing etc), how we acquire it (first and/or second language), history of the language, development as an international lingua franca, literacy, discourse, sometimes creative writing (not at Reading). You do have to do grammar and phonology, too!

Linguistics can be much more theoretical - i.e., less applied - and you most certainly will do grammar and phonology, but will be looking at different theories, whereas you might not do this in English Language. E.g., in phonology you might look at transformational generative phonology, optimality theory, natural phonology, etc.. You will also be looking at different languages as it's not possible to consider all aspects of e.g. grammar by looking at English. Some languages are subject-object-verb (SOV), for example; some are less tense and more aspect; morphology differs across languages. That's not to say you won't also be doing e.g. language acquisition and sociolinguistics.

You can probably write a convincing personal statement that would work for both subject areas, but it's worth thinking what exactly you are interested in when selecting programmes.

My main issue with personal statements on applications for our joint programmes is when the subjects are much less well related - e.g. English Language & Literature - and the candidate goes on and on about Jane Austen and creative writing, with no reference to our subject area at all! REJECT.

I found this very helpful too - thank you :smile:

In regards to the Personal Statement, is it very important to show an interest in particular modules that the university offers? My choices are a mixture of English, English Language and Literature, American Literature, and Linguistics, so it's slightly harder for me to mention them. I have just mentioned what I enjoy reading and why. I have spoken about some Victorian literature (which is quite popular on courses) and some world literature - is that ok?
I'm like the opposite, can't wait to stop doing literature :tongue: I do like some parts of it but not enough to take it at university!

Where else are you applying? I looked at QMUL briefly and it did look quite good - it's way too far away from where I live now though, and I don't really want to go too far :colondollar:

I think I'm in love with the Queen Mary course. I'm applying to Oxford, King's College, Kent and Westminster, but all for slightly different courses. What are your predicted grades?
Reply 9
I think I'm in love with the Queen Mary course. I'm applying to Oxford, King's College, Kent and Westminster, but all for slightly different courses. What are your predicted grades?

Ahh, sounds good, good luck with Oxford :zomg: or are you hoping to go to QMUL more so?

Mine are AAB, but I don't have a 4th AS (other than EPQ) and my GCSEs aren't amazing either, so I'm thinking I'll probably be at a disadvantage to some unis. Just have to hope for the best though and make sure my PS is as good as I can get it :tongue:

Ohh, I didn't know that, thanks! It was very helpful :h: I'll definitely have to try and cater for both courses in some way, though the majority of my choices are all just linguistics so I wouldn't be overly concerned if I just filled my last choice with English language and didn't get it, haha. I have 4 choices now but can't decide on my 5th.
Ahh, sounds good, good luck with Oxford :zomg: or are you hoping to go to QMUL more so?

Mine are AAB, but I don't have a 4th AS (other than EPQ) and my GCSEs aren't amazing either, so I'm thinking I'll probably be at a disadvantage to some unis. Just have to hope for the best though and make sure my PS is as good as I can get it :tongue:.

Thank you :smile: I'm not sure...only the offers will tell :tongue:

I'm worried about my GCSEs too, but I think my predicted grades are ok :smile:

What do you study for A level? :smile:
Reply 11

Thank you :smile: I'm not sure...only the offers will tell :tongue:

I'm worried about my GCSEs too, but I think my predicted grades are ok :smile:

What do you study for A level? :smile:

Well good luck anyway! :h: I put my choices into UCAS the other day, scary :afraid: means it won't be too long until offers start coming (or not coming, haha!)

What are yours? I'm guessing they'll be pretty high :tongue:

I do English Literature, English Language, History and EPQ :h: what about you?
Tell me about it! I started doubting everything e.g "This is my name, right?" :tongue: Apply to QMUL - I think you're cool!

A*A*A. I'm very lucky though. Got AAC at A level and am resitting the C, and had to convince my teacher to predict me an A.

Me too, save the Extended Project!
Reply 13
I found this very helpful too - thank you :smile:

You're welcome!

In regards to the Personal Statement, is it very important to show an interest in particular modules that the university offers? My choices are a mixture of English, English Language and Literature, American Literature, and Linguistics, so it's slightly harder for me to mention them. I have just mentioned what I enjoy reading and why. I have spoken about some Victorian literature (which is quite popular on courses) and some world literature - is that ok?

Not necessarily particular modules, but show you have an interest in each of the different areas if you can. As I've said, we automatically reject applicants who say nothing about the subject area, but I'm looking for evidence of a real and genuine interest in English linguistics.
Reply 14
Tell me about it! I started doubting everything e.g "This is my name, right?" :tongue: Apply to QMUL - I think you're cool!

A*A*A. I'm very lucky though. Got AAC at A level and am resitting the C, and had to convince my teacher to predict me an A.

Me too, save the Extended Project!

Haha :tongue: I've read through my PS so many times that it doesn't make sense anymore :colondollar: I've started to get worried about my reference too, I've no idea what she'll say about me - I've never had her as an actual teacher before and I'm worried she'll end up writing a somewhat standard reference if you know what I mean... probably worrying unnecessarily but oh well.

In the end I've gone for Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, York and Salford (as a somewhat safer choice than the other 4), have you decided yours?

Wow, well done :h: I had to convince my English language teachers to predict me an A, too... really frustrating that I found it the easiest out of my subjects all year then ended up with lower than in literature, which I'd found ridiculously difficult :tongue: ah well. Resits for me too, except in language, unfortunately. :redface:

Ooh, good taste in subjects then, haha! I've no idea what to do my EPQ about. Was planning on making it somewhat linguistic-y so I could talk about it in my PS but I ended up running out of space for it haha, oops.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, I want to apply to do lang/linguistics and I was thinking of QMUL, Newcastle and York. But I didn't like York when I went to the open day and now I'm having a mini crisis as I've now only got two possible choices. I currently study English Language,Politics and History at college and I'm predicted AAB respectively. Can you help me please ? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by oliviarheya
Hi, I want to apply to do lang/linguistics and I was thinking of QMUL, Newcastle and York. But I didn't like York when I went to the open day and now I'm having a mini crisis as I've now only got two possible choices. I currently study English Language,Politics and History at college and I'm predicted AAB respectively. Can you help me please ? :smile:

What was it you didn't like about York, if you don't mind me asking? Of course I'm going to say do please consider Reading (ABB for 2013 entry), but if it's campus universities you don't like then we may well not be an option. We have an open day this coming Saturday (6th October) and another on Sat 27th October if you'd like to take a look ...
Reply 17

Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds could be worth looking at? :h:
What was it you didn't like about York, if you don't mind me asking? Of course I'm going to say do please consider Reading (ABB for 2013 entry), but if it's campus universities you don't like then we may well not be an option. We have an open day this coming Saturday (6th October) and another on Sat 27th October if you'd like to take a look ...

Hi, I didn't like york because of the campus and the fact that it was in the middle of nowhere and I can't see myself living there. However I did like QMUL because you get the best of both worlds with the campus and the city. Thanks for suggesting Reading, I've looked on the website and I do like the look of the course.

Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds could be worth looking at? :h:

Hi I'm going to research those too thank you :smile:
Reply 19
Hi, I didn't like york because of the campus and the fact that it was in the middle of nowhere and I can't see myself living there. However I did like QMUL because you get the best of both worlds with the campus and the city. Thanks for suggesting Reading, I've looked on the website and I do like the look of the course.

Well, Reading is a campus university but we are not in the middle of nowhere. I went to York St John for my first degree which is right there in York city; I really liked that. Good to see you're shopping around as being happy with the physical environment is very important indeed. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest