Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm working through this book with this, and it says the following roughly:

If m and n are integers, and n divides m, then n is a factor of m and m is a multiple of n. therefore m = kn, where k is also an integer, and when you multiply the factor n by k, you get m. therefore k = m/n.

I understand this part

But it tells me to solve divisibility problems you should never use m/n, since m and n are integers so m/n is confusing or something. you have to use m = kn. it asks some questions:

x is a multiple of x^2 + 1. give the integer values of x.

so I did like it asked, and wrote x^2 + 1 = kx

It then gave a hint to rearrange this equation to make is so two integers multiplied gives 1. How do I do this?

Also does the dot in the middle mean multiply? It's about this height: - and its a dot, like m = k . n, only the dot is higher. I've never seen this notation before but I am currently assuming it does mean multiply. What is the significance, and why can't you just wrote m = kn?

ReputationRep:
    When it says rearrange and find 2 numbers that multiply to make 1, it basically means solve the quadratic by factorisation.
    In the set of integers the only numbers that multiply to make 1 are
    1*1 = 1
    (-1)*(-1) = 1
    This means that there are only 2 possible factorisations;
    (x-1)(x-1) or (x+1)(x+1). From this, you can find the possible k's

Yes, the dot means multiply.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesF)
    When it says rearrange and find 2 numbers that multiply to make 1, it basically means solve the quadratic by factorisation.
    In the set of integers the only numbers that multiply to make 1 are
    1*1 = 1
    (-1)*(-1) = 1
    This means that there are only 2 possible factorisations;
    (x-1)(x-1) or (x+1)(x+1). From this, you can find the possible k's

Yes, the dot means multiply.
    where did you get those two factorisations from? neither multiply out to make x^2 + 1, and if the equation is x^2 + 1 = kx why do you care what two integers multiply to make 1?

ReputationRep:
    x^2 + 1 = kx
    0 = x^2 - kx + 1

ReputationRep:
    so you're factorising x^2 - kx + 1 , and that only 1*1 or -1*-1 = 1 tells you that x^2 - kx + 1 = (x+1)(x+1) or (x-1)(x-1), so therefore

x^2 - kx + 1 = x^2 + 2x + 1
    - k = 2
    k = -2

or

x^2 - kx + 1 = x^2 - 2x + 1
    - k = -2
    k = 2?

It's making more sense now, but I don't understand how you can equate x^2 - kx + 1 to the two factorisations.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.