The Student Room Group

Ninja Overcomes Gravity!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silent ninja
Lol breathing on the more demanding statics isn't easy. Why would you laugh on L sits? That's funny lol same issue as you. Keeping the abs tense, glutes tense and balancing at the same time isn't as easy as it looks.

Btw I have yet to find an exercise that you can't lift more by simply tensing your glutes in addition to your core and white knuckling your fists (and gripping with your feet). One of the best tips IMO from Pavel (Naked Warrior). Even white knuckling on squats makes your legs lift more! Weird that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I'm not sure lol, just the thought of straining, sitting in an L off the floor is funny

Yea, I think it's called irradiation. If other muscles are contracted then it allows the ones next to it to contract better.
Squats 105kg x 5 x3
Deadlifts 145kg x 5

Mid-back doesn't feel good after the last two deadlift sessions. I'm having doubts about continuing to deadlift. It's really not worth the trouble if it's gonna mess my back up...not really sure if I've done anything wrong, although I did strain it lowering the weight last week when I should've dropped it.

Squats felt good. New personal best 3x5.

Dude at my gym squats 250kg. Animal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Squats 105kg x 5 x3
Deadlifts 145kg x 5

Mid-back doesn't feel good after the last two deadlift sessions. I'm having doubts about continuing to deadlift. It's really not worth the trouble if it's gonna mess my back up...not really sure if I've done anything wrong, although I did strain it lowering the weight last week when I should've dropped it.

Squats felt good. New personal best 3x5.

Dude at my gym squats 250kg. Animal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With the deadlifts is it a form problem or do you have no idea why you're getting pain? It'd be a shame to drop them from your routine. My old chemistry teacher used to squat 300kg ATG a couple of years ago. His bench press was mental as well, he did 1RM's and he ran out of plates in the gym (think he had 4 plates either side) so he started loading the bar up with heavy chains and sandbags!
Original post by areebmazhar
With the deadlifts is it a form problem or do you have no idea why you're getting pain? It'd be a shame to drop them from your routine. My old chemistry teacher used to squat 300kg ATG a couple of years ago. His bench press was mental as well, he did 1RM's and he ran out of plates in the gym (think he had 4 plates either side) so he started loading the bar up with heavy chains and sandbags!

Not pain, otherwise I wouldn't be able to complete the reps. I get sort of aches/discomfort after which doesn't feel like healthy pain but more like spinal strain. Seeing a chiropractor next week anyway. Hopefully they'll give some good advice. Deadlifts just aren't feeling right atm.
75.2kg today :s-smilie: i cant remember being this light (i got a broad wide frame). My aim was around 72kg but I've mentally given up on that. I don't think that's possible without major strength loss.. Guess I'll find out on my next bench session if my strength has dropped. Leg strength is back to my best though.
also need to review my targets. I only weight lift twice a week now.

Gonna do a home workout later, although I got lower back DOMS today. I'll update later.
(edited 11 years ago)
10 Nov

Wall handstands 30s, 30s x3 (1 leg), 25s (1 leg)
Frog stand 8s x2 (pathetic, couldn't balance today)
Pike pushup on bars 5 8 8 8
Chinups 10kg 3 3 3
Wide pullups+Facepulls (3,8) (3,8)
Face pulls 10

Quick and dirty pics attached taken after. My phone couldn't cope very well with indoor low light so I tried my best. I'm not tensing my abs btw.

Compared to 2 months ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2101790&page=2&p=39360977#post39360977

I'd say I've made a big improvement? I think I look bigger, but I weigh slightly less (i think I was 77kg in that pic, I'm 75.5kg now). I've grown some shoulders and lats me thinks :smile: There is still some lower stomach fat that needs to shift. I'd guess I'm about 12% fat?
(edited 11 years ago)
10 Nov

Wall handstands 30s, 30s x3 (1 leg), 25s (1 leg)
Frog stand 8s x2 (pathetic, couldn't balance today)
Pike pushup on bars 5 8 8 8
Chinups 10kg 3 3 3
Wide pullups+Facepulls (3,8) (3,8)
Face pulls 10

Quick and dirty pics attached taken after. My phone couldn't cope very well with indoor low light so I tried my best. I'm not tensing my abs btw.

Compared to 2 months ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2101790&page=2&p=39360977#post39360977

I'd say I've made a big improvement? I think I look bigger, but I weigh slightly less (i think I was 77kg in that pic, I'm 75.5kg now). I've grown some shoulders and lats me thinks :smile: There is still some lower stomach fat that needs to shift. I'd guess I'm about 12% fat?

Damn bro, you've put on a lot of size! The hard works paying off and you can definitely see your shoulders and lats have made the bigest difference.
Damn bro, you've put on a lot of size! The hard works paying off and you can definitely see your shoulders and lats have made the bigest difference.

I feel somewhat guilty. The last two weeks of training have been **** due to work. Missed more sessions in the last two weeks than I have in the previous 4 months. Gonna definitely hit it harder this week and stop slacking. The fewer sessions you do, the harder it is to get around to doing them imo (ie I think it's easier to train 5-6 times a week than 2-3 times).
I feel somewhat guilty. The last two weeks of training have been **** due to work. Missed more sessions in the last two weeks than I have in the previous 4 months. Gonna definitely hit it harder this week and stop slacking. The fewer sessions you do, the harder it is to get around to doing them imo (ie I think it's easier to train 5-6 times a week than 2-3 times).

I'm sure seeing your progress has motivated you more and you'll get back into the swing of things in no time :smile:
11 Nov
Indoor football 1hr 20

Absolutely knackered from football, but nothing a good meal and an evening nap can't sort out lol
Awesome home workout!! PBs smashed everywhere:

Frog stand (straight arm) - 11s 11s 6s 12s (pb)
One arm pushup 45 deg
- 3 reps
- 5s hold at bottom each arm, 8s hold bottom each arm; these were because I found 3 reps hard and needed to work on balance and counteracting the torso twist
- 3x5 (hell yeah!)
Ring dips 3x5 (pb)
Pistol squat box 17.5cm 3x5 (pb)
L-sits (bent legs) 10s 15s (pb) 15s 15s 10s
Lateral/Rear delt flyes superset (8,8) (10,10) (12,10)

I've been meaning to work on one arm pushups so today it began. I found it pretty challenging even at a 45 degree angle. The torso twist, elbow/shoulder strain etc were new challenges. It was an awesome upper body workout on it's own. My lats were pumped liked I'd done a new pullup pb, triceps/biceps pumped and even your cor gets a good workout from the torso twist and trying to keep your body straight. I'm surprised how it hits so much of the upper body pretty hard.

Pistol squats weren't pretty but the main things are that I didn't touch the floor with my non-pushing leg and I touched the box on every rep. It really felt like a full heavy squat session at the gym.

Don't think there's a single muscle in my body that hasn't bit hit today.
(edited 11 years ago)
My first visit to a chiropractor:

Saw a chiropractor today and very pleased with the consultation. Found I had a pinched nerve in my spine that was seriously impeding my left leg in particular. He demonstrated it by turning my foot out then telling me to push his little finger. I couldn't beat it!! It was so much easier with my right leg. I just could not engage the muscles in my left leg more than 50%. This has caused an imbalance particularly in squatting, but also in running which is resulting in other muscles compensating and giving me excessive stiffness in certain areas. Also confirmed my gait is off and I'm ankle rolling, and I have a weakness in my left shoulder. My left leg side is shorter due to these imbalances but the bones are the same length so it's something that can be corrected.

Also he seemed very knowledgeable about weight lifting and sports. It's a sports clinic too so I gotta write down my aims and I'll get advice on hitting them (routine, diet everything if wanted)-- do more rowing movements to hit dem rear delts I was told lol Apparently he said I can significantly increase my lifts in a very short time in what he's seen of me. The main reason I went was to check that musco/neuro skeleton-wise that I'm ok because going from minimal exercise to 4-6 times a week is a big jump so I'm pleased issues have been identified and nothing major is wrong -- all vertebraes A-okay!

I was very impressed. He picked out niggles I subconsciously knew were there but had become habituated to. Overall he said I was doing really well for a guy that's been training 5-6 months and said he was impressed I've got the 'wedge' on my pecs already....that was a little embarrassing even though it's a compliment lol in terms of athletic performance/capability, I'm on the bottom end of the scale (top end being elite athletes that can train twice per day) though so it wasn't all ego massaging lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
My first visit to a chiropractor:

Saw a chiropractor today and very pleased with the consultation. Found I had a pinched nerve in my spine that was seriously impeding my left leg in particular. He demonstrated it by turning my foot out then telling me to push his little finger. I couldn't beat it!! It was so much easier with my right leg. I just could not engage the muscles in my left leg more than 50%. This has caused an imbalance particularly in squatting, but also in running which is resulting in other muscles compensating and giving me excessive stiffness in certain areas. Also confirmed my gait is off and I'm ankle rolling, and I have a weakness in my left shoulder. My left leg side is shorter due to these imbalances but the bones are the same length so it's something that can be corrected.

Also he seemed very knowledgeable about weight lifting and sports. It's a sports clinic too so I gotta write down my aims and I'll get advice on hitting them (routine, diet everything if wanted)-- do more rowing movements to hit dem rear delts I was told lol Apparently he said I can significantly increase my lifts in a very short time in what he's seen of me. The main reason I went was to check that musco/neuro skeleton-wise that I'm ok because going from minimal exercise to 4-6 times a week is a big jump so I'm pleased issues have been identified and nothing major is wrong -- all vertebraes A-okay!

I was very impressed. He picked out niggles I subconsciously knew were there but had become habituated to. Overall he said I was doing really well for a guy that's been training 5-6 months and said he was impressed I've got the 'wedge' on my pecs already....that was a little embarrassing even though it's a compliment lol in terms of athletic performance/capability, I'm on the bottom end of the scale (top end being elite athletes that can train twice per day) though so it wasn't all ego massaging lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol you're chiropractor sounds awesome-always thought they were a bit like acupuncturists (a bit useless) if that makes sense.
Lol you're chiropractor sounds awesome-always thought they were a bit like acupuncturists (a bit useless) if that makes sense.

You haven't met my GP lol I've met MANY doctors and most are useless. They are more worried about their precious time so they can bugger off to their private clinic lol Communication lacking, experience often lacking. The consultants are usually the ones who know their stuff but seeing them ain't easy. If you got minor issues just self diagnose via internet and if it's major just hope you leave the hospital alive and in one piece lol

The truth is most doctors are overworked and the quality of service suffers. Add the fact they are pissed off seeing so many old grannies each day, they sort of get annoyed lol

I'm sure you'll be the exception to that and so will some of the other TSR would-be medics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
You haven't met my GP lol I've met MANY doctors and most are useless. They are more worried about their precious time so they can bugger off to their private clinic lol Communication lacking, experience often lacking. The consultants are usually the ones who know their stuff but seeing them ain't easy. If you got minor issues just self diagnose via internet and if it's major just hope you leave the hospital alive and in one piece lol

The truth is most doctors are overworked and the quality of service suffers. Add the fact they are pissed off seeing so many old grannies each day, they sort of get annoyed lol

I'm sure you'll be the exception to that and so will some of the other TSR would-be medics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol thanks I hope so too-I'll be the first one to say 90% of doctors are rubbish, particularly GP's as I found out doing some shadowing!
Lol thanks I hope so too-I'll be the first one to say 90% of doctors are rubbish, particularly GP's as I found out doing some shadowing!

My friend's a really good doctor. There are some great ones. I've just had bad experiences. :smile:

Quick home workout. Too tired today but it's better to do something than nothing:

Frog stands 9s 8s 7s some messing about
Wall Handstands - 30s each leg, 45s
Chinups 10 8 7
Wide pullups 3 3 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend's a really good doctor. There are some great ones. I've just had bad experiences. :smile:

Quick home workout. Too tired today but it's better to do something than nothing:

Frog stands 9s 8s 7s some messing about
Wall Handstands - 30s each leg, 45s
Chinups 10 8 7
Wide pullups 3 3 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

No probs :smile: And which pull up bar do you use, I need a cheap one which will support a lot of weight and not wreck the door frame, or is that asking for too much :tongue:
No probs :smile: And which pull up bar do you use, I need a cheap one which will support a lot of weight and not wreck the door frame, or is that asking for too much :tongue:

The Iron Gym by JML seems really good. It's cheap too, lots of great reviews on Amazon US and UK. I like that it has neutral grip handles too (cue cheesy commercial): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww14MvFQD4U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have the Powerbar 2 which I'm not sure is any better and used to cost £30+. I see it's come down in price. I can confirm it leaves minimal marking on the door frame and is solid. You'll have zero problems weight-wise. However, the only slight negative is it has no rubber grip or knurling on the bar so it's not good for sweaty hands. I've been ok with it but have used liquid chalk once or twice (you can add bike tape or whatever but that's just extra work lol). It's also on Amazon.

Before you buy either just double check the dimensions fit your doors. On older houses with wide doorways you won't find any bars that fit! Then the only option is to get the screw in type that fits on ceiling or walls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
The Iron Gym by JML seems really good. It's cheap too, lots of great reviews on Amazon US and UK. I like that it has neutral grip handles too (cue cheesy commercial): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww14MvFQD4U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have the Powerbar 2 which I'm not sure is any better and used to cost £30+. I see it's come down in price. I can confirm it leaves minimal marking on the door frame and is solid. You'll have zero problems weight-wise. However, the only slight negative is it has no rubber grip or knurling on the bar so it's not good for sweaty hands. I've been ok with it but have used liquid chalk once or twice (you can add bike tape or whatever but that's just extra work lol). It's also on Amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks-think I'm going to get that JML one, looks perfect for the job. And pretty cheap at £17 as well. Nice home workout-how far are you from doing a handstand push-up do you think?
Thanks-think I'm going to get that JML one, looks perfect for the job. And pretty cheap at £17 as well. Nice home workout-how far are you from doing a handstand push-up do you think?

Check the dimensions are ok. I edited my previous post.

Very far off lol I gotta start doing pike pushups on boxes soon. A full ROM handstand pushup on bars is 76kg for me (ignoring the non-moving forearms) which is pretty heavy if you think of it in OHP terms. I'll get a one arm pushup before handstand pushups I think.

You should give some a try. The bodyweight stuff is really satisfying but progress can be slow and can't be razor sharp adjusted like weight training ("i'll do 76% of my 1RM today" is totally possible with barbells for example).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Check the dimensions are ok. I edited my previous post.

Very far off lol I gotta start doing pike pushups on boxes soon. A full ROM handstand pushup on bars is 76kg for me (ignoring the non-moving forearms) which is pretty heavy if you think of it in OHP terms. I'll get a one arm pushup before handstand pushups I think.

You should give some a try. The bodyweight stuff is really satisfying but progress can be slow and can't be razor sharp adjusted like weight training ("i'll do 76% of my 1RM today" is totally possible with barbells for example).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers will do and that informercial made me lol, I love cheesy videos like that, looks like a solid product though. Yeah I really need to start doing some bw stuff I think, I can be impatient with results sometimes which is probably why I've been put off it, but I think I'll start tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest