The Student Room Group

Ninja Overcomes Gravity!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mark85
How is my OHP better than yours (ok, only by about 2.5kg at best) but my bench is so far behind (like 15kg)? WTF.

Original post by silent ninja
I don't know.
I FEEL my bench technique is awesome. I can really get my body in to it: tight grip, tight back, good coordination, but mainly it just feels good. My OHP on the other hand sucks. I've probably done it 6-7 sessions so far so my technique is not good (I was doing seated before). I'm not feeling it but that comes with time I guess.

The other reason is that I do bench before shoulder press-- I'm fresher on bench. I will experiment with switching this around because my shoulders are lagging.

Atm I'm doing this 3 times every week as my routine: Squats, overhead press, bench, deadlift (all 3x5) With crossfit and oly lifting when possible. My question is should I bench or overhead press first-does it make much difference?
Original post by areebmazhar
Atm I'm doing this 3 times every week as my routine: Squats, overhead press, bench, deadlift (all 3x5) With crossfit and oly lifting when possible. My question is should I bench or overhead press first-does it make much difference?

Don't really know the right answer, more experienced posters might be able to help, but Rippetoe and Strong Lifts do OHP first don't they? I have Rippetoe's book and he considers the OHP the best upper body exercise, ahead of bench and pullups.

Edit: correction, on SS/SL you do them in separate days.
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't really know the right answer, more experienced posters might be able to help, but Rippetoe and Strong Lifts do OHP first don't they? I have Rippetoe's book and he considers the OHP the best upper body exercise, ahead of bench and pullups.

Edit: correction, on SS/SL you do them in separate days.

Thanks-I'll probably keep OHP first then if it's better than the bench for the upper body
Stayed at home today.

Chinups 2,2,2,2, 2+f, 2+f. Pathetic

Tricep dips 8,10,10,10,10

Got a bit resourceful. I did the dips on my stairway banister and raised my legs on a ladder. My triceps are gonna explode!

No cardio. Got lazy but gonna make up on the weekend.
Nice work bro. Now that's dedication and creative as well :biggrin:
Nice work bro. Now that's dedication and creative as well :biggrin:

haha well i decided to make today a rest day (bar the 20 pullups challenge stuff). Did it all including warmup in about 25 minutes so I'd say that's a good rest day :biggrin:

No squatting tomorrow, I'm injured, but if I'm feeling up for it I'm gonna go for 135kg on deadlifts. It gives me a chance to try out the liquid chalk and look like a badass :colone:
Reply 26
haha well i decided to make today a rest day (bar the 20 pullups challenge stuff). Did it all including warmup in about 25 minutes so I'd say that's a good rest day :biggrin:

No squatting tomorrow, I'm injured, but if I'm feeling up for it I'm gonna go for 135kg on deadlifts. It gives me a chance to try out the liquid chalk and look like a badass :colone:

I don't know about your gym but anyone who deadlifts more than ~130kg at my uni gym is considered a badass.

Oh, curlbros...
Original post by tooosh
I don't know about your gym but anyone who deadlifts more than ~130kg at my uni gym is considered a badass.

Oh, curlbros...

I meant the chalk would make me feel like a bad ass :laugh:

Few do deads at mine but strangely enough there are a couple of regular groups of guys, ghetto gangstas with their beats by dre headphones and caps sideways, that do deads regularly. They really encourage eachother and are smaller than me but do about 140kg last time I saw them. But they tend to do 1 or 2 reps and damn do they let everyone know they're doing them.
Reply 28
I meant the chalk would make me feel like a bad ass :laugh:

Few do deads at mine but strangely enough there are a couple of regular groups of guys, ghetto gangstas with their beats by dre headphones and caps sideways, that do deads regularly. They really encourage eachother and are smaller than me but do about 140kg last time I saw them. But they tend to do 1 or 2 reps and damn do they let everyone know they're doing them.

Oh yeah I got that, I just meant generally. Anything not to do with straps, gloves or the preacher curl machine at my gym looks cool cos no-one uses it. Chalk, dip/chin belts, the GHR machine.. could go on :tongue:
Deadlift 135kgx5
120kgx3 double over hand

Bulgarian squats bw

One-legged Romanian deadlifts bw

+some running, static stretching

What an awesome workout. Such simple exercises yet hard work. Doing the Bulgarian squats and one-legged Romanian deadlift, I realised my balance sucks, especially on my left leg. My coordination needs work too. I did them nice and controlled and lost my balance a few times. The added benefit of the RDL is that it's a dynamic hamstring stretch exercise. My legs feel awesome! Definitely gonna do more of these, and I can always add dumbbells for more resistance. I've realised stability, coordination and balance are extremely important and none of my current lifting addresses these sufficiently.

Oh and a PB on deadlifts. My first time using chalk. I actually lifted 120kg comfortably with double overhand which is a best with this grip. I didn't attempt 135kg with that grip but in hindsight I should have. The liquid chalk really helped and it felt so much easier to engage the muscles. 135 felt like 120-125 from last week. The only concerns are too much back in 3 of my 5 reps. I need to concentrate more and also shouldnt get overzealous with adding more weight. Next week I may attempt 140kg (3 plates) which would be a milestone for me.
Nice DL. You'll pass me soon, easily!

2.5k run outdoor

Today's a rest day. The above was bloody hard work. Legs weren't too tight but felt heavy from yesterday's workout.
Reply 32
Stayed at home today.

Chinups 2,2,2,2, 2+f, 2+f. Pathetic

Tricep dips 8,10,10,10,10

Got a bit resourceful. I did the dips on my stairway banister and raised my legs on a ladder. My triceps are gonna explode!

No cardio. Got lazy but gonna make up on the weekend.

Protip - you can do dips with two chairs. :lol:
Nice urban workout though :cool:
Original post by Arva
Protip - you can do dips with two chairs. :lol:
Nice urban workout though :cool:

Yeah lol my banister has a thick rounded wood grip so it feels more solid. Plus it's higher up so it just looks harder even though it isn't :laugh: (12ft drop if I fall backwards tho lol)
(edited 11 years ago)
So 12 weeks of training complete. I don't have any before pics but here are some taken today.

Taken cold and pretty much relaxed. Pic2 is totally relaxed, I'd be more tense actually walking! Pic1 is semi-tense around the stomach area, but i'm barely tensing in any pics (except the second leg pic which is pretty obvious).

I think I've put a bit of muscle mass on but not huge amounts due to a calorie deficit. Do I look like a lift? Hope so!

So 1 stone lost and my stomach is not far off being totally flat so I'm incredibly pleased. It was quite literally hanging over my belt not long ago and wobbled when I ran.

(excuse the hairy legs)
(edited 11 years ago)
So 12 weeks of training complete. I don't have any before pics but here are some taken today.

Taken cold and pretty much relaxed. Pic2 is totally relaxed, I'd be more tense actually walking! Pic1 is semi-tense around the stomach area, but i'm barely tensing in any pics (except the second leg pic which is pretty obvious).

I think I've put a bit of muscle mass on but not huge amounts due to a calorie deficit. Do I look like a lift? Hope so!

So 1 stone lost and my stomach is not far off being totally flat so I'm incredibly pleased. It was quite literally hanging over my belt not long ago and wobbled when I ran.

(excuse the hairy legs)

Nice work you look amazing bro! You definitely look like you lift bro. I always wondered how you looked...and this sounds so homosexual bro :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Nice work you look amazing! You definitely look like you lift. I always wondered how you looked...and this sounds so homosexual :tongue:

Just add "bro" to every sentence then it doesn't sound gay. Bro. Lol
Just add "bro" to every sentence then it doesn't sound gay. Bro. Lol

Done :wink: Now it's a manly compliment
Reply 38
How long have you been lifting for ?
Original post by liftorrot
How long have you been lifting for ?

12 weeks of actual training and progression, but if you include Ramadan (where I did short 30 minute maintenance/light sessions) then it's a month more.

Quick Reply

Latest