The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Medicine
GCSE: 10 A* 1A(maths) 1B(drama)
AS: BBBB (Biology, chemistry, physics and history) (continuing all to A2)
A level predictions: AAAB
UKCAT: 642.5

Do I even stand a chance?
Reply 81
Original post by whatif?
Medicine
GCSE: 10 A* 1A(maths) 1B(drama)
AS: BBBB (Biology, chemistry, physics and history) (continuing all to A2)
A level predictions: AAAB
UKCAT: 642.5

Do I even stand a chance?

In terms of academics, you get 55 points, which apparently was the cut off last year. You could apply, but it might be slightly risky.
Original post by MightyBean
In terms of academics, you get 55 points, which apparently was the cut off last year. You could apply, but it might be slightly risky.

What about 56?
Reply 83
Original post by Shutupalready
What about 56?

Well, since 55 was the cut of last year, I'm not entirely sure if it's going to stay the same this year.
However, if you like the uni and the course, you could still give it a go I suppose. They are unlikely to raise it to 57! :smile:
Reply 84
I think I'm going to apply here.

I can't make it to the open day on Saturday, but if anyone's going, would they be so kind as to share their thoughts on here with us? :redface:
My score is 55. Do you think its worth applying?

The scoring system (from their website)
Academics:
"Applicants must be predicted or have achieved AAA at A Level or 36 points (excluding core
or bonus points) in the International Baccalaureate, in line with our standard offer.
GCSEs:
6 GCSE qualifications will be taken into account as below:
English language**
Maths
Double Science (2)
Best two other subjects
OR
English language <---- A*
Maths <---- A
Separate Sciences (up to 3) <--- Does this mean I could pick say only Physics and Chemistry from my GCSE's as I have A*'s in those but only an A in biology
Best other subject(s)KPW/AEP/FR*‐*14 June 2012* * *Page 2/7 <---------- And then could I pick say English Literature and Electronics? As I achieved A*'s in those
GCSE scoring will be as follows:
A* = 5
A = 4
B = 3
C = 2
D = 1

A* english lit
A* english language
A* physics
A* chemistry
A* electronics
A maths
A history
A biology
A religious education
C french
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by yorkshire.lad
My score is 55. Do you think its worth applying?

A* english lit
A* english language
A* physics
A* chemistry
A* electronics
A maths
A history
A biology
A religious education
C french

I'm applying with 55- risky but I really really love the uni so got my fingers crossed so bad!
Reply 87
I went to the open day in July and I've just gone to check my notes and I've written down that the admissions tutor said that people with a scores of 54/55 are guaranteed an interview, not exactly sure where everyone's getting this whole 55 may be risky business from!
something seems faulted about the way they do the admissions, I mean there are people here who have 10A*s and are scoring 54-55 whereas I have 3 A*s and I scored 58 (although I'm not complaining much as it works in my favour).

my top 6 GCSEs would be Maths (A*), Biology (A), Chemistry (A*), Physics (A), English Lang (B), History (A*) which adds up to 26 and then I got AAAA at AS so that's 29, then I got 730 average on my UKCAT so that's 2920, therefore another 29, total of 58. I'm unsure whether to apply here, my academic score of 58 is good (I think haha) and I feel my PS and reference will be more than sufficient, it's just they interview 750 people for 300 places and their interview process is weird, so even if I got an interview there's only a 40% chance of interview (based on places to interviews) which isn't particularly high.

I was looking at Kings College, I know I don't have the best GCSEs (to be quite honest I didn't know how much they mattered so I just cruised through high school) and ended up with 3A*s, 5.5As, 2Bs and 2Cs (the Cs were in year 9 and it was ridiculous, long story haha) however I've been told that Kings are very keen on a high UKCAT score, and I feel 730 (or have been told) is a high score, although by the looks of TSR it isn't as high as I first thought. Does anyone here have any advice, as I've already got my top 3 sorted (Newcastle, Sheffield and Barts) I'm just unsure on what to do for my 4th?
I will get 59/60 on the academic ranking. Providing my PS isnt too bad id think its worth applying?
Reply 90
Original post by SamAnthonyJones

Actually the score (out of 60) is for your GCSE's and UKCAT. So according to that you get 55. That's the score for last years cut off. Considering the cut off doesn't increase this year, you just meet the cut off.

I personally would advise against Kings. If you have a low UKCAT or GCSE, your need an exceptionally high score in the other to balance it. For Kings, your 24% A* ratio is considered VERY low. Although your UKCAT is rather good, to balance your GCSE's you would need a much higher UKCAT.

You could consider places like Liverpool or Manchester?
Actually the score (out of 60) is for your GCSE's and UKCAT. So according to that you get 55. That's the score for last years cut off. Considering the cut off doesn't increase this year, you just meet the cut off.

I personally would advise against Kings. If you have a low UKCAT or GCSE, your need an exceptionally high score in the other to balance it. For Kings, your 24% A* ratio is considered VERY low. Although your UKCAT is rather good, to balance your GCSE's you would need a much higher UKCAT.

You could consider places like Liverpool or Manchester?

It is GCSE and AS results combined. This is a direct quote from the Leicester admissions process PDF...
Achieved AS Results:
Additional points will be available for applicants who include AS results on their UCASapplication, as follows:
An additional point for each A grade in the best 3 AS subjects including Chemistry, Biologyand one other subject, up to the 30 points maximum total.

Reply 92
It is GCSE and AS results combined. This is a direct quote from the Leicester admissions process PDF...
Achieved AS Results:
Additional points will be available for applicants who include AS results on their UCASapplication, as follows:
An additional point for each A grade in the best 3 AS subjects including Chemistry, Biologyand one other subject, up to the 30 points maximum total.

Apologies, just noticed you mentioned your AS levels, but the comment about what Kings look for still stands! :smile:
Apologies, just noticed you mentioned your AS levels, but the comment about what Kings look for still stands! :smile:

So would Leicester with 58/60 be a good bet? I agree about Kings now, I've seen so many comments say they want really high GCSEs and if not a really high UKCAT, and my GCSEs are pretty poor to be honest (wish I'd of done more work at high school) and my UKCAT is high (in my opinion) but not high enough to make up for the GCSEs.
Reply 94
So would Leicester with 58/60 be a good bet? I agree about Kings now, I've seen so many comments say they want really high GCSEs and if not a really high UKCAT, and my GCSEs are pretty poor to be honest (wish I'd of done more work at high school) and my UKCAT is high (in my opinion) but not high enough to make up for the GCSEs.

Yeah, 58 would be fine! However, I think Leicester ask you to do an essay (on an ethical topic) prior to the interview. So if you're confident about writing essays on ethical scenarios then I see no reason as to why you shouldn't apply!

Yeah your UKCAT is high, but unfortunately not enough for Kings. However, I'm sure you shouldn't have a problem with the universities I mentioned in my previous post! :smile:
Yeah, 58 would be fine! However, I think Leicester ask you to do an essay (on an ethical topic) prior to the interview. So if you're confident about writing essays on ethical scenarios then I see no reason as to why you shouldn't apply!

Yeah your UKCAT is high, but unfortunately not enough for Kings. However, I'm sure you shouldn't have a problem with the universities I mentioned in my previous post! :smile:

Yeah that should be alright, I did a bit of Amnesty work at college so we looked at stuff like that all of the time!

I don't really want to live in Liverpool or Manchester if I'm honest :colondollar:
Reply 96
Yeah that should be alright, I did a bit of Amnesty work at college so we looked at stuff like that all of the time!

I don't really want to live in Liverpool or Manchester if I'm honest :colondollar:

Haha, neither do I, which is why I am not applying to either of them! >.< You could go for Southampton though? :smile:
Haha, neither do I, which is why I am not applying to either of them! >.< You could go for Southampton though? :smile:

Where are you applying then? :smile: Could do! I'll speak to my tutor and see what she thinks! Leicester by academics would be okay (58/60 should be fine).
Reply 98
Where are you applying then? :smile: Could do! I'll speak to my tutor and see what she thinks! Leicester by academics would be okay (58/60 should be fine).

I'm applying to Imperial, Kings, Leicester, St Georges. (Want to change Georges for Soton, but the guy who goes through all the UCAS applications in our school is unwilling to give me mine back!) :cry:
I'm applying to Imperial, Kings, Leicester, St Georges. (Want to change Georges for Soton, but the guy who goes through all the UCAS applications in our school is unwilling to give me mine back!) :cry:

I was looking at Imperial but my GCSEs are a bit too low so gave up on that dream! Might see you at Leicester :wink: Wow they seem a bit harsh! Good luck with all of your choices :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending