Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here is a fun contract problem question I am working away at, just wondering if any other law people could tell me if I am going in completely the wrong direction.

Bert pays £100 in advance to cover a weekend staying at the Peerless Hotel. He arrives and the manager, Ernie, greets him by saying:

“We will do anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable – it’s our pleasure.”

So Bert orders breakfast in bed and a newspaper for the two mornings he is there. He then goes up to his room, where he fails to spot a notice on the back of his door stating that newspapers and breakfast in bed cost £5 extra each time. When he checks out he is presented with a bill for the extra £10, which he pays under protest.

I have said that the extra items are a second contract, as the accommodation was sorted out before he arrived. Ernie’s statement is just representation or puff or whatever, and it is Bert asking for the extra items that’s an offer and Ernie agreeing (believing he will later be paid) that is the acceptance. Do you think I need to mention promissory estoppel, with Bert relying on what he believes to be Ernie’s promise to supply stuff “at his pleasure”? Any opinions generally?

ReputationRep:
    More people are online now - any law peeps? Come on, helping to answer contract questions is such fun!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.