Why does everyone love Dave Grohl so much?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
trudy13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I will admit it, I'm not a huge fan of Dave Grohl, frontman of the band Foo Fighters. Trying to make myself to like the guy, I went to watch Dave perform last night in Reading with the Foos and I can see that he is clearly a very talented songwriter, musician and vocalist, but I was disappointed in some aspects of the show. He has been given some kind of God-like status amongst all the other rock musicians of our age, why is this??
Solivagant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Pretender was their only good song.

I saw a bit of the gig on the TV, and he isn't that good.

If you want a front-man, look no further than Paul Weller.
trudy13
Rep:
?
Last night the whole of their set seemed way too focussed on him, he was talking a pile of crap for ages yet everyone around me loved it! He dedicated a song to Kurt, which was drowned out towards the end by the crowd screaming "David" over and over, which seemed out of place to me.
oli_G
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Foo Fighters are very overrated, although I respect Dave Grohl as a musician and songwriter. He's supposedly the 'nicest guy in rock', getting involved in a lot of charity work etc (which may be one of the reasons he's popular) :dontknow:
trudy13
Rep:
?
I think a big part of the bands popularity is because Dave was in Nirvana. I don't think they'd have achieved this worldwide success if he hadn't already been a famous face in rock. And many of the Foos songs last night sounded identical to Nirvana, vocals particularly, which is sad really
PoGo HoPz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because he looks like Jesus. :awesome:
Converse Rocker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
His history in Nirvana and the fact that Foo's are a great band.
Stray_talk
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
He looks like he'd be fun to hug.
Chillywilly93
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvnyRHb1U0g

just watch this
Taurus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chillywilly93)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvnyRHb1U0g

just watch this
The drumming to this song is amazing
Chillywilly93
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
also, see him as beezleboss in tencaious d and the pick of destiny, pretty funny and good song too.
Battenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJG21)

I saw Paul Weller at Latitude recently, in all honestly he wasn't hugely charismatic on stage, didn't say a word between songs. Although I do think Grohl was a better drummer than he is a frontman for his sheer force and passion when he played for Nirvana.
rock.and.rose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because he's the nicest man in rock. Apparently.
Hanvyj
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I like the Foo fighters, but only in small ammounts. I can listen to a song of theirs and enjoy it - but never an album. I think they are just too alike to me - the songs seem very similar and they just seem to grate on me after a few.
Solivagant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Battenberg)
I saw Paul Weller at Latitude recently, in all honestly he wasn't hugely charismatic on stage, didn't say a word between songs. Although I do think Grohl was a better drummer than he is a frontman for his sheer force and passion when he played for Nirvana.
Well to be fair, I don't think he likes people. He's a grumpy old git now, and even when you hear him in interviews it's very dull and one-word answers. Still doesn't take away the fact that he's the Modfather.
Devel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Foo Fighters.
Nirvana.
Them Crooked Vultures.
Probot.

Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CJG21)

:lolwut:

They've far better songs than The Pretender: Everlong, My Hero, Monkey Wrench, Walk, Learn To Fly...
member592149
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Devel)
Foo Fighters.
Nirvana.
Them Crooked Vultures.
Probot.

Who are probot?
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JaggySnake95)
Who are probot?
Probot was Grohl's side-project/album of collaborations with loads of different artists - Lemmy, Jack Black, King Diamond, Max Cavelera (Soulfly, Sepultura), Kim Thayil (Soundgarden) etc.
SEM94
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because he is a living legend.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads