Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi every1 u wud ave probabli seen my previous post abt PPE degree on dis forum...neways im in the middle of a bridge between PPE and Law!

Law seems to b offered at nearli every top uni (excp imperial perhaps or other expts) in London and of course oxbridge as wel whereas PPE or PEP as Warwick call it is very limited to York, Warwick and Oxford (mabbe 1 more)

I ws wndering about da career prospects of PPE and Law.. eg is it possible to convert from ppe to law after u get da degree and how can dis b done

If Law was pursued as a degree how open wud the career prospects be as oppose to PPE (remembering the if oxbridge rejected me id have onli 2 real good unis to go to for PPE)

Finalli...pay lol i suppose thats nearli every 1s top criteron these days...which degree wud be more likeli to open a highli payed career?

Thnkx

ReputationRep:
    If you want to enter the legal profession then you can do that with any kind of degree. You do your degree, then you spend a year doing the Common Professional Examination which gives you all the law you need. You then enter the professional training people with law degrees do - either the LPC for solicitors or the BVC for barristers. So it only takes you an additional year, and quite a few top firms look favourably on people who have studied something other than law as it gives them a different perspective on things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godmaster)
    Hi every1 u wud ave probabli seen my previous post abt PPE degree on dis forum...neways im in the middle of a bridge between PPE and Law!

Law seems to b offered at nearli every top uni (excp imperial perhaps or other expts) in London and of course oxbridge as wel whereas PPE or PEP as Warwick call it is very limited to York, Warwick and Oxford (mabbe 1 more)

I ws wndering about da career prospects of PPE and Law.. eg is it possible to convert from ppe to law after u get da degree and how can dis b done

If Law was pursued as a degree how open wud the career prospects be as oppose to PPE (remembering the if oxbridge rejected me id have onli 2 real good unis to go to for PPE)

Finalli...pay lol i suppose thats nearli every 1s top criteron these days...which degree wud be more likeli to open a highli payed career?

Thnkx
    PPE is less competitive than Law at Oxford - Although I don't know how much this matters to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    PPE is less competitive than Law at Oxford - Although I don't know how much this matters to you.

I ws looking to do PPE at Magdalen college but im from a poor background and i dnt know if i wud fit in ther...if not wot other colleges would be a decent but hopeful consideration? cos ive heard oxford colleges vary in quality...

and wot if i get rejected...little option left

theoreticalli i cud apply to do law at LSE and PPE at oxford lol...

ReputationRep:
    I ws looking to do PPE at Magdalen college but im from a poor background and i dnt know if i wud fit in ther...if not wot other colleges would be a decent but hopeful consideration? cos ive heard oxford colleges vary in quality...

and wot if i get rejected...little option left

theoreticalli i cud apply to do law at LSE and PPE at oxford lol...
    Most, nearly all Oxford colleges are good - Although magdalene is very, very prestigious, and I'm not sure about how keen they are on state school students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    If you want to enter the legal profession then you can do that with any kind of degree. You do your degree, then you spend a year doing the Common Professional Examination which gives you all the law you need. You then enter the professional training people with law degrees do - either the LPC for solicitors or the BVC for barristers. So it only takes you an additional year, and quite a few top firms look favourably on people who have studied something other than law as it gives them a different perspective on things.
    That is good advice, shows there are alternatives to just doing a straight law degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Most, nearly all Oxford colleges are good - Although magdalene is very, very prestigious, and I'm not sure about how keen they are on state school students.
    wel i cme from a realli realli crap state skl...white hart lane dunno if u heard and i currentli study at woodhouse college

:s my grades r average i suppose for oxford... and im doin

english literature
    maths
    history
    politics

ive alreadi got turkish a level...dunno if da helps

ReputationRep:
    There's a good site with more info on the CPE here

http://www.lawcabs.ac.uk/cabonline/cpe.html

ReputationRep:
    wel i cme from a realli realli crap state skl...white hart lane dunno if u heard and i currentli study at woodhouse college

:s my grades r average i suppose for oxford... and im doin

english literature
    maths
    history
    politics

ive alreadi got turkish a level...dunno if da helps
    not sure if i've told you this before (i seem to tell a lot of people this) but those are very very appropriate A levels for PPE. Maths / History are the recommended ones, and the other two are both respected and appropriate.

As for colleges, with the exception of a couple, I really don't think it is sensible to choose on the basis of perceived friendliness to state school applicants, although I do understand your apprehension. Choose on material factors such as the size, location, apps/places etc.

These days you can put together a really decent set of 6 unis for PPE too. You're right in that only Oxford, York and Warwick do it out of the very top ones... (although LSE, Bristol, Edinburgh and others do related joint schools). However, you could fill out your application with PPE at say, Durham, Manchester and Essex, of which one could end up as your insurance.

As for law? Nahh, mate, PPE is so much more interesting, and you can get into law fine later if that is really what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    not sure if i've told you this before (i seem to tell a lot of people this) but those are very very appropriate A levels for PPE. Maths / History are the recommended ones, and the other two are both respected and appropriate.

As for colleges, with the exception of a couple, I really don't think it is sensible to choose on the basis of perceived friendliness to state school applicants, although I do understand your apprehension. Choose on material factors such as the size, location, apps/places etc.

These days you can put together a really decent set of 6 unis for PPE too. You're right in that only Oxford, York and Warwick do it out of the very top ones... (although LSE, Bristol, Edinburgh and others do related joint schools). However, you could fill out your application with PPE at say, Durham, Manchester and Essex, of which one could end up as your insurance.

As for law? Nahh, mate, PPE is so much more interesting, and you can get into law fine later if that is really what you want to do.
    cheerz man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    That is good advice, shows there are alternatives to just doing a straight law degree.
    does ne 1 ppe at oxford here cos the interviews and exam seem to b my main concern

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.