The Student Room Group

Can you help? UK students who have studied abroad

Calling all international students! Can you help with some TSR content?

We're putting together a couple of features on what it's like to study abroad and are looking for UK students who have done it.

If you're interested in taking part, please post your answers to the following questions - or PM them directly to me.

Thanks!

Name (optional):

Where did you study?

When were you there?

Why did you decide to study abroad?

What were your expectations before you went?

What kind of experience did you have there?

If you studied in a non-English speaking country, how did you deal with the language barrier?

What advice would you give to someone considering studying abroad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shooks
x

Hey,

Just to confirm are you looking for people who studied their entire degree abroad and graduated from a non UK university or are you looking for people who did a year abroad as part of their degree at a UK university? Or both?
Also, what about people who aren't from the UK who came to the UK to study for their degree? Do they count?
Reply 2
Original post by shooks
x

Not sure if I count. I worked abroad and whilst there took a french language diploma at the local university. If I count let me know and I'll happily help you out :smile:
Original post by oxymoronic
Just to confirm are you looking for people who studied their entire degree abroad and graduated from a non UK university or are you looking for people who did a year abroad as part of their degree at a UK university? Or both?

Either of those would be great - mainly looking for some insight into what it's like to study outside of the UK.

Original post by oxymoronic
Also, what about people who aren't from the UK who came to the UK to study for their degree? Do they count?

Would be good to hear from anyone who wants to contribute, but the feature being put together at the moment isn't on this particular angle.
Original post by l.west191
Not sure if I count. I worked abroad and whilst there took a french language diploma at the local university. If I count let me know and I'll happily help you out :smile:

Please do! Would be great to hear about your experiences.
Reply 5
Name (optional): Laura

Where did you study? Montpellier University III

When were you there? January 2012 - July 2012

Why did you decide to study abroad? To be immersed completely in the language I was trying to learn.

What were your expectations before you went? I didn't really have any expectations. I just wanted to have some fun and perfect my French.

What kind of experience did you have there? Brilliant. I made lots of French friends, had some great times, and learnt a lot. I met lots of people from all over the world.

If you studied in a non-English speaking country, how did you deal with the language barrier? At first it was difficult, my French was no-one near perfect and I had to use signs a lot to get by. Enrolment was awful, I had problems trying to explain certificates, my allergies etc but it got sorted in the end. All the lessons were in French with no chance of anything being explained in English if you didn't understand. After a couple of weeks though, my French got a lot better, I was helping some of them learn some English and life got a lot easier. For the record, drinking is the same in any language.

Google translate IS your friend. It's not perfect but when you're trying to live in a foreign country and no-one speaks your language and you're still learning their language, google translate is better than nothing. I carried a french dictionary with me, (my lecturer's banned french-english dictionaries, and most language teachers abroad do) and after a while I was using that a lot more than google.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, the university is probably used to international students and will be more than willing to help with any problems you're having. Montpellier, has an international student union who can help with accommodation, job hunting and visa's (if you need them) plus anything else you're finding difficult whilst you're there.

Try and find accommodation with other students, it will make your life easier, but find real student accommodation from the university, landlords can be a lot worse abroad than they are here with students, but real university accommodation can help ease some of the issues with accommodation.

Don't stick with the people that speak your own language and DON'T speak your own language. Speak the native language, it will help you. If the natives want to speak English with you, then they can speak to you in English and you can reply in their language. That way you both get some practise in, and you can both help each other out.

Go out and have fun, but don't get into trouble with the local police, it won't go down well, home or away. Just because it's in a different country, it doesn't mean it won't haunt you.

Play it safe, stay with a group of people you know and trust and make sure everyone gets home. Not just some of you, everyone.

HAVE FUN :biggrin:

I'm sure I have more to say, I'll come back later.
Reply 6
Name
Brian

Where did you study?
Communication University of China (Beijing), Beijing International Studies University

When were you there?
2010~2011, 2012~2013

To improve my Mandarin and experience other aspects of culture

Expected to be able to just about get by with some English at first (how wrong I was) and expected to be able to get food from home pretty easily :tongue:

Started off pretty badly as it was very difficult to communicate with any of the university staff etc., however after a few weeks it vastly improved. My language developed quite nicely, learnt some new skills and adapted to life in a whole new culture.

If you studied in a non-English speaking country, how did you deal with the language barrier?
At first I was very dependant on my pocket phrasebook and new friends that were much more fluent then me. As my language skills progressed I was able to do more and more things without help.

Read up about the country and city your going to, find out some of the customs and what might be considered rude or what is considered polite.

Have an idea of the cuisine and learn a few of the names

Perhaps its wise to live in the dorm at first, as the university will handle the legal requirements; as you become more confident you will find it easier to rent an apartment or w/e

Budget yourself and stick to it! It's pretty easy to piss through your money when everything seems so cheap

Keep regular contact with family :tongue: they may panic if theres a flood/earthquake anywhere near you (or in Japan -.-)

Get an idea of prices; you dont want to be ripped off!

Reply 7
Please assure that after doing my bachelors in any prestigious UK university, will I get work permit or job? As I've heard there's been job saturation and international students get deported.
Original post by Mcnubn
Name
Brian

Where did you study?
Communication University of China (Beijing), Beijing International Studies University

When were you there?
2010~2011, 2012~2013

To improve my Mandarin and experience other aspects of culture

Expected to be able to just about get by with some English at first (how wrong I was) and expected to be able to get food from home pretty easily :tongue:

Started off pretty badly as it was very difficult to communicate with any of the university staff etc., however after a few weeks it vastly improved. My language developed quite nicely, learnt some new skills and adapted to life in a whole new culture.

At first I was very dependant on my pocket phrasebook and new friends that were much more fluent then me. As my language skills progressed I was able to do more and more things without help.

Read up about the country and city your going to, find out some of the customs and what might be considered rude or what is considered polite.

Have an idea of the cuisine and learn a few of the names

Perhaps its wise to live in the dorm at first, as the university will handle the legal requirements; as you become more confident you will find it easier to rent an apartment or w/e

Budget yourself and stick to it! It's pretty easy to piss through your money when everything seems so cheap

Keep regular contact with family :tongue: they may panic if theres a flood/earthquake anywhere near you (or in Japan -.-)

Get an idea of prices; you dont want to be ripped off!

:smile:中国传媒大学?Relishing the Chinese food!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by JackZhao0311
:smile:中国传媒大学?Relishing the Chinese food!

Yeah I was at chuanmei before, now at erwai :tongue:
Original post by Mcnubn
Yeah I was at chuanmei before, now at erwai :tongue:

北京第二外国语学院,That's a good place to learn languages, especially minor languages. May everything ok!
Reply 11
Hey, I'm planning on studying at The American University of Paris. How did you guys fund for your degrees? Any particular financial aid used to support your degree as it's unlikely my parents will be able to afford paying for my entire degree!
Hey, I'm doing this right now. Been in Germany for 2 months and am here for the whole academic year. Don't have time to answer the OP now but if they are still interested in answers then PM me and I'll get back to you later. :wink:
Name (optional): Fiona

Where did you study? Maastricht University

When were you there? 2011 - 2012

Why did you decide to study abroad? It was cheaper to do a Masters than in the UK. Also Maastricht has a top class EU law department

What were your expectations before you went? An internationally vibrant university.

What kind of experience did you have there? Great - there are a lot of opportunities, internships, activities to get involved.

If you studied in a non-English speaking country, how did you deal with the language barrier? Most Dutch people speak English and all the students certainly did so it wasn't really a barrier.

What advice would you give to someone considering studying abroad? Go to visit the town before you go abroad, speak to the students and join any facebook groups they have online. Don't hesitate to find a British student studying abroad and contact them beforehand. They are always willing to help and really friendly.

Good luck
Big thanks to everyone who has replied so far! Any more international students want to share their experiences?
Name (optional):
GEG
Where did you study?
University of Calgary
When were you there?
Sept 2012 - April 2013
Even before I went to university I'd been fascinated by the chance to study abroad and see a different culture and do things I couldn't do normally.
That it would be a pretty light course load and I'd have lots of free time, and it would be amazing but take me a while to settle in.
It's been amazing. Even though the course load is so much higher than in the UK I'm learning loads more and still having lots of free time. It's very different to the UK but it feels like home, the people are super friendly and even though it's freezing cold (-37 today) and snowing for 90% of the time I'm here, it's still absolutely beautiful scenery.
Even though Canada is English speaking, it took me a while to work out what English words they'd never heard of and adjust my language accordingly. Also I've picked up a lot of their language such as "eh" and "for sure!"
Do it. You won't regret it. Even though it's absolutely terrifying you're going to make amazing friends and have memories which will last a life time.
Name (optional): Ian

Where did you study? Uppsala University, Sweden

When were you there? August 2009-June 2010

Why did you decide to study abroad? Mandatory element of programme of study

Complete uncertainty!

What kind of experience did you have there? Mixed. Some bits were great and some bits were not so. As it has receded into the past, I remember it fairly fondly, but at the time there were some things that really bothered me.

If you studied in a non-English speaking country, how did you deal with the language barrier? I was a student of Swedish studying in Sweden, so this was something of non-issue in my case as I was a confident speaker when I arrived. Broadly, my exchange colleagues (some of whom weren't as good at Swedish) were also fairly confident at overcoming any 'language barriers'.

What advice would you give to someone considering studying abroad? It's a worthwhile opportunity and should be embraced, but couched with a couple of considerations. 1) It might NOT be the best experience of your life. 2) Consider the impact it might have on your academic performance (does the year abroad count?) and how it might affect your performance when you return. I was very out of practice at writing a decent essay when I returned from Sweden but pulled through. I do know people who practically flunked their degrees thanks to a fun but unacademic year abroad. GO INTO THE YEAR ABROAD WITH YOUR EYES OPEN!
Reply 17
Name (optional): Ailsa

Where did you study?

UNC Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA

When were you there?

Year of 2012/13

I thought it would be a really interesting experience to live somewhere different for a year. I've always been interested in travel, so this was another opportunity to come to other places. I think education makes a lot of difference to how someone sees things, and although there are lots of similarities between the UK & USA, I wanted to experience the American education system, and see more of that - try to understand my American friends better. I also thought that going to a different university for a while would be a great way to hear the opinions of more teachers - in Edinburgh alone the lecturers in the classics department had different opinions, and I thought it would be interesting to see what a wider group of people thought.

I don't know if I had many firm expectations - it might sound strange, but I really didn't know much about the university, or the town, other than that the town was a lot smaller than Edinburgh, but in student population the two universities were around the same. I was very nervous about having to share a room, and a little nervous about how high the standards of work expected might be.

Well, I'm still here, but so far it's great! The university have a student organisation which matches exchange students up with a UNC student to be their 'mentor', to help you get settled, show you around, stuff like that, and it's worked out really well. I've been able to travel to a lot of places, and experiencing things like Thanksgiving was really nice. I've made some really great friends here. It's also interesting to take classes with less of a grade percentage coming from the exam, and some which are almost entirely discussion based rather than a professor lecturing - so it's interesting to have that different learning experience. Like I said, there might be a lot of similarities between the UK & USA, but living here lets me really see the differences too, which I think is very interesting. I'm in 'the south' here, too, which means there are a variety of interesting food options to explore! I haven't been brave enough to try chicken & waffles together yet, but there has been a lot of BBQ food, amongst other things.

First of all, it's definitely an experience worth having - if you have the opportunity to apply for studying abroad, take it. Second, if your university lets you go for just one semester, and you can choose to go for the whole year, take the opportunity to go for the whole year. I know a lot of people who were just abroad for one semester, and they all say that it went by so fast, and they wished they could have stayed longer.
If you do get a spot, try not to worry too much. There are a lot of things that it's hard to work out until you get there and can see things for yourself. As with going to uni at home, join clubs & societies! It's a great way to meet people. Take advantage of opportunities to go home with friends for the weekend, or over breaks. Even going to a small town somewhere that might not sound exciting is a great way to see more of the place you are staying, and chances are the family will be really interested in talk to you and hearing about home.

(If anyone reads this and has more questions about it, feel free to PM me :smile: )
Name (optional): Lizzie

Where did you study? Perugia (Italy) and Murcia (Spain)

When were you there? September 2011 - January 2012 (Italy), February 2012 - May 2012 (Spain)

Why did you decide to study abroad? Compulsory part of my degree and also a good life experience

What were your expectations before you went? Very high. Before I went I thought it would be easy and I would instantly meet loads of people who would instantly be my friends. I thought the language barrier would be easier and I didn't realise how frequent classes were.

What kind of experience did you have there? Italy wasn't as good but it did start to get better towards the end as I made some real friends and stopped taking offence at the people who clearly weren't a 'real friend'. Classes were really tough, sharing a bedroom was hell and my eating was pretty much non existant due to a lack of kitchen and homesickness (there must have been days when I survived purely off a slice of pizza and a chocolate bar). When I started in Spain I was worried that the same thing was going to happen as in Italy so I went into this protective bubble almost, then I realised that if I carried on that way it would end up the same. I got in touch with my tutor who put me in touch with other english erasmus students and emailed some of them to see if they wanted to meet up. Turned out one was leaving early due to an illness in the family and I moved in instead and became really close to my new flatmates. Living with locals was one of the best things I ever did because if you live with english people, your natural reaction is to speak english, but my Spanish improved more than that of people who were there for the whole year.

If you studied in a non-English speaking country, how did you deal with the language barrier? I paid for extra language classes which were great and they improved my language so much! Worth every cent. Other than that, live with a patient native who doesn't mind taking the time to explain something to you.

What advice would you give to someone considering studying abroad? Travel. Explore. Take every opportunity that comes your way to go out because whilst the person you go out with might not become one of your best friends, they might introduce you to someone who will. Live with a native. There is no better way to learn a language, but also make sure you have a couple of english friends around for those nights you feel a bit homesick! It will be great but try not to have expectations that your year abroad can't live up to! Before I went I had such high expectations after speaking to other people who had done erasmus, but not every day can be great, you will have your down days too and culture shock really is something to think about! If/when it happens, don't hide under your duvet like every part of you wants to do, go out and see the sights and meet new people because that really is the quickest way to get over culture shock.
Reply 19
is there anyone here whos been studying in germany?

Latest

Trending

Trending