Turn on thread page Beta

School Bullies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Were any of you bullied at school? I was not an attractive kid (fat, spotty and I had a lazy eye). I was a bully's dream, for 5 miserable years I was spat at, thumped, kicked, called names, (Popeye I can remember). I would say that it has scarred me for life although I am now neither fat nor spotty and have had my eye fixed. I am genuinely supprised if someone says I am attractive. As far as I am concerned, I will always be ugly.

Whether bullied at school or in the workplace it is no laughing matter. If you were a bully at school - oi you outside!

Has anyone else got similar experiences or thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    i was bullied throughout my school life, but eventully i stood up for myself and they left me alone.

ReputationRep:
    In my school, there were very few incidents of bullying. This was mainly beacause the community was taught to be close and any form of bullying was always looked upon as abnormal, and highly unacceptable.

There was also the threat of people ganging up on the one individual bully and pounding them. I remember one girl had to have 14 stitiches to her cheek after she was found to be a bully and someone in a gang, no one has ever admitted it, knifed her.

If I was you, dont put yourself down, though you may have heard this befoe, you are only letting them win if you let it get to you.

ReputationRep:
    i was never bullied but i have similar feeling of inferiority as you do it seems. in fact i kind of bullied a few people myself, not physically but i wasn't very nice to them verbally, gettin laughs at their expense a lot etc. feel really bad about that stuff now, tho i do get on with them now ive stopped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Britain)
    Were any of you bullied at school? I was not an attractive kid (fat, spotty and I had a lazy eye). I was a bully's dream, for 5 miserable years I was spat at, thumped, kicked, called names, (Popeye I can remember). I would say that it has scarred me for life although I am now neither fat nor spotty and have had my eye fixed. I am genuinely supprised if someone says I am attractive. As far as I am concerned, I will always be ugly.

Whether bullied at school or in the workplace it is no laughing matter. If you were a bully at school - oi you outside!

Has anyone else got similar experiences or thoughts?
    I was never bullied - but - you need a big hug. How awful! I do hope your tormentors were punished, or did your school turn a blind eye? My school still does, i can remember many occasions that no matter how many times we informed the teachers about the bullies, they always blamed the victim, and when you have no teachers support it's v. difficult to prevent the bullying from occuring to those who have done no wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I was unpopular at school and was always pullied. The irony is that I now probably have a far better social life than those that bullied me.

ReputationRep:
    I was on the 'ABC' (anti bullying council!!) at my school, it was great. It was run by pupils and managed by 6th formers so there weren't any teachers involved. When someone reported being bullied there was an investigation - it was almost like judge judy!! The bully was questionned about their bullying and then given a punishment (which always involved the bully apologising infront of everyone - we made one really big horrible bully cry once, sorry, shouldn't be proud of that!). And then they were given detention, but community service style, e.g. having to clean the HE rooms at lunchtimes; litter picking.
    Thankfully I was never bullied at school but I do feel for those that are/were. Bullying is a load of crap really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I was never bullied - but - you need a big hug. How awful! I do hope your tormentors were punished, or did your school turn a blind eye? My school still does, i can remember many occasions that no matter how many times we informed the teachers about the bullies, they always blamed the victim, and when you have no teachers support it's v. difficult to prevent the bullying from occuring to those who have done no wrong.
    Bless you for that. Unfortuately when I was at school (eighties - showing my age now), they weren't so hot on it as they are now. I resent the fact that it screwed up my life for years, I don't go to university until I was 30 for fear of it happening again, thankfully Uni folk are not like that. I am glad you weren't bullied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    i was never bullied but i have similar feeling of inferiority as you do it seems. in fact i kind of bullied a few people myself, not physically but i wasn't very nice to them verbally, gettin laughs at their expense a lot etc. feel really bad about that stuff now, tho i do get on with them now ive stopped!
    Shame on you! At least you have the guts to admit it though

ReputationRep:
    Bless you for that. Unfortuately when I was at school (eighties - showing my age now), they weren't so hot on it as they are now. I resent the fact that it screwed up my life for years, I don't go to university until I was 30 for fear of it happening again, thankfully Uni folk are not like that. I am glad you weren't bullied.
    aww. Still you're brave in your own special way - you got through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I was unpopular at school and was always pullied. The irony is that I now probably have a far better social life than those that bullied me.
    Christ that is so true. This will sound sooo snobby, but the gang of girls that used to do it to me now have about 6 kids with 6 different fathers, living in the crappy council estates.

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied every year at school, but not even by the same people! Mum says it was just because they were jealous - perhaps I believe it more now that I'm older.

I always though I was just predisposed to it but now being at uni and around like-minded GROWN UP people is wonderful. I would never want to do that again. (I was going to say I would never inflict that upon anyone else, but I'm going to have children..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I was on the 'ABC' (anti bullying council!!) at my school, it was great. It was run by pupils and managed by 6th formers so there weren't any teachers involved. When someone reported being bullied there was an investigation - it was almost like judge judy!! The bully was questionned about their bullying and then given a punishment (which always involved the bully apologising infront of everyone - we made one really big horrible bully cry once, sorry, shouldn't be proud of that!). And then they were given detention, but community service style, e.g. having to clean the HE rooms at lunchtimes; litter picking.
    Thankfully I was never bullied at school but I do feel for those that are/were. Bullying is a load of crap really.
    I always remember the total humiliation in Games, I was always the last to be picked, I always got, "bloody hell we don't have to have her do we? Needless to say I am **** at sport!

ReputationRep:
    I always remember the total humiliation in Games, I was always the last to be picked, I always got, "bloody hell we don't have to have her do we? Needless to say I am **** at sport!
    Bullies are so sad, they have nothing at all interesting to say about themselves and being nice to other people make them realise how rubbish they are so the only option for them is to be nasty. How stupid and unnecessary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I was bullied every year at school, but not even by the same people! Mum says it was just because they were jealous - perhaps I believe it more now that I'm older.

I always though I was just predisposed to it but now being at uni and around like-minded GROWN UP people is wonderful. I would never want to do that again. (I was going to say I would never inflict that upon anyone else, but I'm going to have children..)
    God I know what you mean my little boy Ollie is only 5, but I am terrified of him getting bullied. When he comes home from school I feel like the Gestapo interrogating him about what day he had. If anyone picks on him I will right round their parent's house. How over protective am I????

ReputationRep:
    My secondary school was only set up in 1991, and we had no breaks, and there was no time between lessons. This was supposed to stop bullying and fights, because my school was a CTC in a rough town.

There was bullying though, but I think I would be shocked if i'd gone to a normal school.

ReputationRep:
    slight variation: if you were being bullied should you fight back against the bully?

one school of thought says "yeah, bullies only bully cos they think they can get away with it, they are actually complete wimps so if you stand up they'll stop. plus, they dont deserve to be treated with respect for their feelings etc after the way they cared about yours".

another would say "but then how are you any different? usually bullies are just very unhappy people, and what comes around goes around - people bully out of resentment, so if you manage to keep them off you, they'll be even more upset and someone more vulnerable would be their next target. you have to make them "see the light" "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innitman_uk)
    slight variation: if you were being bullied should you fight back against the bully?

one school of thought says "yeah, bullies only bully cos they think they can get away with it, they are actually complete wimps so if you stand up they'll stop. plus, they dont deserve to be treated with respect for their feelings etc after the way they cared about yours".

another would say "but then how are you any different? usually bullies are just very unhappy people, and what comes around goes around - people bully out of resentment, so if you manage to keep them off you, they'll be even more upset and someone more vulnerable would be their next target. you have to make them "see the light" "
    The most important thing with bullies is to report it and also ingore them. Don't let them take over your life, you have to believe that you are better than them.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    The most important thing with bullies is to report it and also ingore them. Don't let them take over your life, you have to believe that you are better than them.
    if i was ever physically tormented i.e. if someone kicked me i would never EVER ignore it ...lol i would fight back
    i am not a person for violence but id never let myself get pushed around,
    ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa2)
    if i was ever physically tormented i.e. if someone kicked me i would never EVER ignore it ...lol i would fight back
    i am not a person for violence but id never let myself get pushed around,
    ever.
    I think it is easier for boys than girls to fight back. Boys are taught quite early on not to be a wimp, stand up for yourself etc. When you are told day after day that you are fat, stupid, ugly etc after a while you start to believe it. It zaps your confidence. You can ask yourself why many women still stay with an abusive boyfriend/husband, they think they are worthless. (obviously there are other reasons why they choose to stay)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.