This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I had this conversation with my girlfriend over the weekend. The question I want to put to the board is this. Does having 2 people who love each other very much guarantee a distance relationship will work? Is love ever not enough? I'll post my opinion as and when, want to see what you all think first.
Cyst
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
I had this conversation with my girlfriend over the weekend. The question I want to put to the board is this. Does having 2 people who love each other very much guarantee a distance relationship will work? Is love ever not enough? I'll post my opinion as and when, want to see what you all think first.
Love does not exist. It is simply an abstract idea which we are taught to accept.
Therefore, love will never be enough.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

I think that if you love each other enough, you can make it work but it depends on lots of factors, like how far away you are, how long it would be for, how long you have been together... i don't think that a relationship is ever guaranteed..you have to work at it..and be very trusting...and be good at talking on the phone!! and be prepared to comprimise in order to make you realtionship work..

is there a context or reason for you asking the question?
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Cyst)
Love does not exist. It is simply an abstract idea which we are taught to accept.

of course love exists..you probably just haven't experienced it yet...
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Cyst)
You're saying no emotions exist then just because they're abstract? Just because it isn't tangible doesn't mean it can't exist.
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Cyst)
Of course Love exists. The fact that u've just said that proves that u just havn't expereiced it yet.
Cyst
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
of course love exists..you probably just haven't experienced it yet...
No I have not experience it as it does not exist.
What evidence do you have that it exists?
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cyst)
What is it that makes people commit their lives to each other? What is it that makes people die for one another in some cases? An abstract theory?

Interesting comment though.
Tednol
Rep:
?
is there a context or reason for you asking the question?
Yes. Me and my girlfriend talking through how hard we have been finding things of late.
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Cyst)
No I have not experience it as it does not exist.
What evidence do you have that it exists?
The fact that when u are with the love of ur life, you just know.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes. Me and my girlfriend talking through how hard we have been finding things of late.

u r in manchester?

where is she?

how long have you been together?

what year of uni are you both in?
Cyst
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What is it that makes people commit their lives to each other? What is it that makes people die for one another in some cases? An abstract theory?

Interesting comment though.
Its the sense of the need to belong. The need to conform. It is frowned upon if you are not in a relationship, or at the least if you say you have never been in love.

Again, what concrete evidence is there for the idea of love?
Cyst
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
The fact that when u are with the love of ur life, you just know.
Typical abstract response. What evidence is there?
Dude
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Cyst)
Its the sense of the need to belong. The need to conform. It is frowned upon if you are not in a relationship, or at the least if you say you have never been in love.

when u meet the love of ur life, you will know that love exists.
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cyst)

And what evidence for it not existing?

I do not believe that just because you can not prove something, then it must be flawed. That is seriously dodgy reasoning.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Cyst)
Typical abstract response. What evidence is there?
What about hate then? Do you believe in that?
Cyst
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
What about hate then? Do you believe in that?
No, not at all. It is a psychological feature which we are often taught to harbour. We are socially indoctrinated to hate, love...whatever?
Tednol
Rep:
?
u r in manchester?

where is she?

how long have you been together?

what year of uni are you both in?
Yup I'm in Manchester. She is in Hertfordshire. We have been together 8 months officially, nearer 12 unofficially. I'm in my first year of uni, and she is in year 13. She is having a gap year in Far East Asia, then starting at Edinburgh in 2005.

It's horrible... because at best we will have the next 3 years to get through before being able to live together and that presumes I get a job in Edinburgh.
Cyst
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And what evidence for it not existing?

I do not believe that just because you can not prove something, then it must be flawed. That is seriously dodgy reasoning.
You cannot flaw my argument by using my method?

There is no scientific or social evidence for the actual existance of "love".
Tednol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cyst)
No, not at all. It is a psychological feature which we are often taught to harbour. We are socially indoctrinated to hate, love...whatever?
Or happiness. Sadness. Joy. Anger.

Take a puppy. If you pet it it will be happy, it will wag it's tail. If you kick it it will cower and hide. Are you saying he/she isn't happy or sad, but socially indoctrinated.

And that is a puppy...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (0)
0%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (8)
66.67%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (2)
16.67%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
8.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
8.33%

Watched Threads