Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    You cannot flaw my argument by using my method?

There is no scientific or social evidence for the actual existance of "love".
    Rather I'm saying your 'method' ceases to exist.

ReputationRep:
    I think Cyst is a Vulcan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Yup I'm in Manchester. She is in Hertfordshire. We have been together 8 months officially, nearer 12 unofficially. I'm in my first year of uni, and she is in year 13. She is having a gap year in Far East Asia, then starting at Edinburgh in 2005.

It's horrible... because at best we will have the next 3 years to get through before being able to live together and that presumes I get a job in Edinburgh.

if you really love her then you need to find a way to get through it.. if you think she is the one the stick it out... if not then it may be a lot of hard work for nothing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    You cannot flaw my argument by using my method?

There is no scientific or social evidence for the actual existance of "love".
    What you are effectively saying is no more coherent than saying because you can't see me, then I look exactly like you imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Or happiness. Sadness. Joy. Anger.

Take a puppy. If you pet it it will be happy, it will wag it's tail. If you kick it it will cower and hide. Are you saying he/she isn't happy or sad, but socially indoctrinated.

And that is a puppy...
    The puppy is expressing the will to live. It all comes down to the simple issue of survival. The puppy cannot survive if it is repeatedly kicked. If it protects itself by cowering then it has saved itself.

It is not an emotion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    if you really love her then you need to find a way to get through it.. if you think she is the one the stick it out... if not then it may be a lot of hard work for nothing...
    Love doesn't tell you if she is the one though... which is in a round about way what the thread was originally about.

ReputationRep:
    Love doesn't tell you if she is the one though... which is in a round about way what the thread was originally about.
    I don't believe that there is "one" person for everyone. There are too many people in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I think Cyst is a Vulcan.
    How did you deduce that. Come to thinkl of it, I must be a pretty special thing as I have human characteristics, yet am a bird. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    The puppy is expressing the will to live. It all comes down to the simple issue of survival. The puppy cannot survive if it is repeatedly kicked. If it protects itself by cowering then it has saved itself.

It is not an emotion.
    When someone is happy, or sees photos of someone they care about certain regions of the brain exhibit activity.

Hence happiness exists even if just in the sense of brain activity. And that is impossible to deny.

ReputationRep:
    When someone is happy, or sees photos of someone they care about certain regions of the brain exhibit activity.

Hence happiness exists even if just in the sense of brain activity. And that is impossible to deny.
    I give up. I cannot force you to believe fact which you have been taught not to believe since you were born.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    How did you deduce that. Come to thinkl of it, I must be a pretty special thing as I have human characteristics, yet am a bird. :rolleyes:
    I meant it in a nerdy star trek way :P silly post really.

Just I can't imagine what your life is like if you do not experience any of the things that everyone else seems to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I don't believe that there is "one" person for everyone. There are too many people in the world
    I've often thought about that actually!

When you think about it, I don't know, say we meet 10 000 people during the courses of our lives. And most people will claim to have fallen in love at least once.

Now granted, that 10 000 figure I plucked out the air. Might be bigger, might be smaller. But in a world with 6 000 000 000 people, it's a tiny tiny percentage.

ReputationRep:

i suppose....

the fact that you are trying to work through it and not give up clearly shows how much she means to you...

her gap year will probably be the hardest part- as she will be so far away..maybe you could go and visit her in one of your holidays?? this would give you something to look forward to....

when she is in edinburgh and you are in manchester you will be closer and you can meet up at weekends and you will have the holidays....my mum and dad made it through uni- my mum was in bromsgrove (bham) and my dad was in bradford....

it is just a different kind of relationship...and it is only for a few years not forever... what is 3/4 years out of the rest of your lives??

i think love can survive anything and overcome any obstacles...including this one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    I give up. I cannot force you to believe fact which you have been taught not to believe since you were born.
    Please answer this question though. In denying the existance of emotions purely because they cannot be seen in a strictly scientific way, are you claiming to be saying something more coherent than because you can't see me, then I look exactly like you imagine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i suppose....

the fact that you are trying to work through it and not give up clearly shows how much she means to you...

her gap year will probably be the hardest part- as she will be so far away..maybe you could go and visit her in one of your holidays?? this would give you something to look forward to....

when she is in edinburgh and you are in manchester you will be closer and you can meet up at weekends and you will have the holidays....my mum and dad made it through uni- my mum was in bromsgrove (bham) and my dad was in bradford....

it is just a different kind of relationship...and it is only for a few years not forever... what is 3/4 years out of the rest of your lives??

i think love can survive anything and overcome any obstacles...including this one...
    Everything you say is true. I don't know what the right thing to do is. All I can say is I'm sure if things do go tits up, it'll get a mention on the board.

Cheers for advice tho hun!

x

ReputationRep:
    Everything you say is true. I don't know what the right thing to do is. All I can say is I'm sure if things do go tits up, it'll get a mention on the board.

Cheers for advice tho hun!

x

no probs...

ReputationRep:
    I do think love exists, there is something that connects two people in an indescribable way... and if this is a purely biological reaction, why does it hurt so much? why those particular people, why not any two people? why will people travel halfway round the world or whatever just to tell someone that they love them?

i don't think love is always enough though. I've recently had this conversation with my ex-bf, who i care about so much... he says he loves me, i thought i loved him... but we both know that no matter how hard we've tried, we can't make it work... we've both said some really hurtful things (some of which i regret bitterly) and we just can't trust each other again or completely forgive each other for the past. and it is kinda ridiculous because i found it so hard to start a new realtionship even though the old one was in the past... *and now some smart arse will say 'if you can't make it work, it wasn't love'...* ...but even now i've got a new bf who is amazing and it's going great at the moment, i still care about my ex a lot, and would do almost anything to stop him getting hurt... if what we had together wasn't 'love', then i could cope with not having 'love' for the rest of my life, because at the time it was great.

i think there has to be move than love, there has to be trust, friendship, compromise, effort, excitement...

hope that whatever you decide is right for you both Tednol

*apologises for babbling post, it's incredibly hardto explain feelings like this*

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Cyst...

Even if what you are saying it true, surely it is better to be happy by believeing that you are in love than it is to keep telling youself that you are a being with no emotions, just electrical impulses and chemical reactions?? What sort of state is that to be in?

Personally I do believe in love, and my life is so rich because of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    I do think love exists, there is something that connects two people in an indescribable way... and if this is a purely biological reaction, why does it hurt so much? why those particular people, why not any two people? why will people travel halfway round the world or whatever just to tell someone that they love them?

i don't think love is always enough though. I've recently had this conversation with my ex-bf, who i care about so much... he says he loves me, i thought i loved him... but we both know that no matter how hard we've tried, we can't make it work... we've both said some really hurtful things (some of which i regret bitterly) and we just can't trust each other again or completely forgive each other for the past. and it is kinda ridiculous because i found it so hard to start a new realtionship even though the old one was in the past... *and now some smart arse will say 'if you can't make it work, it wasn't love'...* ...but even now i've got a new bf who is amazing and it's going great at the moment, i still care about my ex a lot, and would do almost anything to stop him getting hurt... if what we had together wasn't 'love', then i could cope with not having 'love' for the rest of my life, because at the time it was great.

i think there has to be move than love, there has to be trust, friendship, compromise, effort, excitement...

hope that whatever you decide is right for you both Tednol

*apologises for babbling post, it's incredibly hardto explain feelings like this*

lou xxx
    Cheers for sharing that Lou. I know I can not imagine moving on if me and my gf broke up. We had a DMC on Saturday, we talked about breaking up, and I just can't imagine a world in which I can't see her and cuddle her and kiss her, and tell her I love her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    Cyst...

Even if what you are saying it true, surely it is better to be happy by believeing that you are in love than it is to keep telling youself that you are a being with no emotions, just electrical impulses and chemical reactions?? What sort of state is that to be in?

Personally I do believe in love, and my life is so rich because of that.
    Think Cyst has stopped replying on this thread. Think the fact I/we was/were not as 'enlightened' as her made her cross.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.