The Student Room Group

Will top universities care about my extra curricular activities?

I'm starting year 12 next week so I won't be applying until next year. I want to apply to top universities like Cambridge and LSE to study law.

Will they care about my extra curricular activities? I run an after school Greek club with my friends for younger pupils, I have grade 8 in the violin and flute and I play county basketball. I've read that top universities don't really care about these sorts of things. Is this true? Thanks.
Original post by Plasticine
I'm starting year 12 next week so I won't be applying until next year. I want to apply to top universities like Cambridge and LSE to study law.

Will they care about my extra curricular activities? I run an after school Greek club with my friends for younger pupils, I have grade 8 in the violin and flute and I play county basketball. I've read that top universities don't really care about these sorts of things. Is this true? Thanks.

Make sure that you declare your grade 8s in the violin and flute on your UCAS application - you can get UCAS points for them (although admittedly most top unis don't use the UCAS points system). However, I think that generally top universities do care about your extra-curricular activities - they show that you have wider range of interests and activities than just your A-Levels, and many of the skills and so on that you pick up through these actvities (eg. time management, teamwork and so on) will be be beneficial for your degree. When it comes round to writing your personal statement, I recommend that you discuss the skills you've acquired from your extra-curriculars and how they link into your degree.

Running an after-school Greek club sounds great. :smile: I'm sure they'd be impressed by that! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Plasticine

Top Unis and courses care about extra curricular activities MORE than other Unis/courses as they have more applicants to choose from.
Extra-curricular stuff gives you something to write about in your PS, even better if you can link them to your interest in your chosen course somehow
Top UK uni's? NO. (I was pooled then rejected by Cambridge and I had very little to talk about in my personal statement ECA-wise, but I am still of the opinion that they don't really care about it much). US universities on the other hand are a whole other story though. They're very extra curriculars minded.
Reply 5
Original post by Barden
Extra-curricular stuff gives you something to write about in your PS, even better if you can link them to your interest in your chosen course somehow

'I like enjoy playing the violin. I one day hope to prosecute anyone who make a 'remix' of any violin related song to avoid the adaigo for strings disaster' ???

Instruments, sports and class captain/society leader/head of year are all things that basically every realistic top uni applicant will have under there belt. Without doubt mention it. But I suggest you think outside the box for ways to make yourself stand out.

Original post by Flying_pigs1414
Top UK uni's? NO. (I was pooled then rejected by Cambridge and I had very little to talk about in my personal statement ECA-wise, but I am still of the opinion that they don't really care about it much). US universities on the other hand are a whole other story though. They're very extra curriculars minded.

What evidence do you have to support this? Because from what I am taking from your post is that your grades where obviously fine, but you didn't have anything to say for yourself outside academics and you go rejected.

If you are in fact correct, then how do they narrow down their applicants when the majority of them have very good grades? Name out of a hat?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Flying_pigs1414

Yeah but unless you tell a US uni that you are state level basketballer / footballer, they don't care.
Will they care about my extra curricular activities:

Yes!

Sorry for the emphasis, but they get loads of applicants with As and A*s they need to see more than just that.
I know they don't care about it in maths since a lot of the top unis actually said so at the open days I went to (although that may be due to the stereotypical mathematician not being very interesting, so the same may not apply for other subjects.)
Mostly they will not.

They care that you are good at and interested in the subject, being captain of the first 11 rugby team or whatever has no bearing on that.

If Universities really did choose between candidates based on extra-curricular stuff it be highly unfair because not everyone has the same opportunities to sports or music etc.
as others have said - declare them on the qualifications part of your ucas form

you should only mention them if you can link them to your course choice - you should be saying what you learnt from them in your PS

you can be selective, and only mention a few, but have something to say about them for any interviews you might have - that goes for your PS as a whole, dont write something, that you dont want interviewers to pick up on
Oxbridge won't. If you're applying for classics, then the Greek club will certainly help. I didn't mention my job, epq, acting or directing in my PS because I didn't have room. I only mentioned subject relevant things like work experience abroad etc and I was fine.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
yes, but you only need to have a couple, if you do none they are more likely to reject you.
yes and no.
If it's relevant to what you want to do then thats when they care. Pretty much everyone will be have some sort of music and sport involvement, but if you've done something which conveys your interest for your subject - thats what will put get their attention
Mostly not we were told.

Unless you're a medic :colone:
From my experience not particularly. I think you should definitely include them in your personal statement relating them in some way to law but don't go over board as I doubt it'll be the focal point of your interviews.
Original post by bestofyou

What evidence do you have to support this? Because from what I am taking from your post is that your grades where obviously fine, but you didn't have anything to say for yourself outside academics and you go rejected.

If you are in fact correct, then how do they narrow down their applicants when the majority of them have very good grades? Name out of a hat?

Sorry, I posted earlier, then realised I forgot to Quote you. :colondollar:

My uni counsellor was vehement they don't place particular emphasis on ECA's unless it's done at a very high level (ie. winning state wide competitions etc).

Basically, from the way I see it, the interview is what it ALL comes down to. To be called for interview, you need to have a good personal statement and excellent predicted grades (both of which I had- I was predicted, and achieved, 4 A*'s), and then you need to be amazing at interview. I feel top uni's are just looking for academic excellence, period. I strongly got that vibe from my interviewers too...they just got straight to the point (asking me my interview questions)- no other questions asked.
Reply 17
I'm also starting year 12 - i start next monday and i want to study law at oxford. so basically this is what my big sister (a biomedic that went to a redbrick uni) told me when i was considering signing up for the hockey team.

"if they are having to decide between two practically identical applicants then yes, the decision can sometimes come down to the smaller details, like gcse results and your extra curriculars.

so if it was between two students. 1) AAA* and 2) AAA* with ECA's then number 2 would get it
but if it was between 1) AAB + ECA's and 2) AAA then number 2 would get it.

because if you waste your time with ECA's and it affects your grades, then just for the fact you have a B in there will immediatly shut you out of the opportunity to gain that place at a TOP uni. SO unles you are confident that you will get the AAA* grades that oxbridge and LSE are looking for, dont waste your time. "

good luck starting 6th form,
The top universities will care about co-curricular Activities based around extra academic engagement. This will stem from mainly participating in olympiads such as ukmt or uklo. You don't have to acheive anything you just need to let them know you have participated in it. These arewhat top unis are looking for are have far more value than sport or music because this differentiates the top candidates. Violin grade 8 can be declared in ucas which is good. Running a Greek club is excellent. Make sure if you get the opportunity to do DofE do so as it is the main way of showing skills in teamwork and integrity. Work experience is essential and also community service/volunteering is essential for law and medicine. Also attend university programmes,talks and lectures based specifically around law. If you can and Your school allows you to set up a Law club and also again do an EPQ. I'm an early applicant and our oxbridge amb assad or informed all of this info. Don't do too much drama/sp/music because it dilutes the personal statement and it wouldn't be ideal when reviewed by top unis. In hindsight for oxbridge ensure 50% of your gcses are A* especially in the subjects you plan to take for A level. The grades are just as important! Good luck
Reply 19
Original post by Srinayagama
The top universities will care about co-curricular Activities based around extra academic engagement. This will stem from mainly participating in olympiads such as ukmt or uklo. You don't have to acheive anything you just need to let them know you have participated in it. These arewhat top unis are looking for are have far more value than sport or music because this differentiates the top candidates. Violin grade 8 can be declared in ucas which is good. Running a Greek club is excellent. Make sure if you get the opportunity to do DofE do so as it is the main way of showing skills in teamwork and integrity. Work experience is essential and also community service/volunteering is essential for law and medicine. Also attend university programmes,talks and lectures based specifically around law. If you can and Your school allows you to set up a Law club and also again do an EPQ. I'm an early applicant and our oxbridge amb assad or informed all of this info. Don't do too much drama/sp/music because it dilutes the personal statement and it wouldn't be ideal when reviewed by top unis. In hindsight for oxbridge ensure 50% of your gcses are A* especially in the subjects you plan to take for A level. The grades are just as important! Good luck

Hi, you've replied to a 2012 thread and the original participants are unlikely to be around now.

Also, Oxbridge isn't interested in DofE, etc. They are somewhat interested in super-curriculars though (ie. academically directly relevant to your course).

I'm closing the thread :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending