Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People with university experience - what actually happens during Freshers Week? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering as I am starting at uni next month, what I can expect from Freshers week? Can someone who has been or is currently studying at uni give me an insight into what actually happens during the week, would be really grateful thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Mainly the week is filled with nights out drinking with flat-mates and maybe course-mates. Some uni's have student reps (usually 2nd and 2rd years) who are assigned halls and take you to events and bar/clubs at night. You will most likely have some course inductions to attend as well. Also the student freshers fair is a must for clubs, sport and of course free pizza.

Just make the most of it as it will be one of the most memorable weeks of your life, don't lock or hide yourself in your room.

ReputationRep:
    Sunday - flat trip to costcutters in the afternoon, pub quiz in the evening
    Monday - freshers' fair (after waiting around awkwardly not sure whether to knock to see if people were up), free pizza, SU neon party
    Tuesday - the freshers' fair again (uh) and a flat party
    Wednesday - library tour, welcome speeches and subject introduction session, sports fair
    Thursday - choosing modules, meeting tutors, having chips, societies fair and then something in the evening
    Friday - I can't even remember friday...

'Facebook afternoons' is when you are awake and deeply bored because everyone else is either sleeping, out, or on facebook... :P

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how students-to-be only ever seem to want to know about one thing. Honestly, freshers week is just one week in a three year long period. Although I enjoyed mine, not all it's cracked up to be by a long shot and the memories that I'll take with me beyond uni will be from later on when I had made good friends and worked out the places to go on a night out that didn't play Pitbull on repeat.

ReputationRep:
    At my uni it was also induction week so in the day time we had enrolment, induction talks, library talks etc etc
    Then we also had freshers fayre (my dept were useful they scheduled no talks etc that day!),
    At night there was all the events and stuff
    Our freshers angels were also doing tours of town etc but I couldn't go so me and a housemate went in alone and figured it all ourselves

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadwing)
    It's funny how students-to-be only ever seem to want to know about one thing. Honestly, freshers week is just one week in a three year long period. Although I enjoyed mine, not all it's cracked up to be by a long shot and the memories that I'll take with me beyond uni will be from later on when I had made good friends and worked out the places to go on a night out that didn't play Pitbull on repeat.
    You only went to freshers once?

Pretty sure its 3 weeks in a 3 year period. (mine actually has 2 weeks each year.. so.. for me 6)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadwing)

students-to-be (your phrase) want to know about freshers because it is a new experience and it always pays to have an idea of what will happen when being faced with new experiences. These ’students-to-be’ know how an educational establishment functions and one would like to think they know how to survive, clean up after themselves and cook some dinner. So they will always and have always asked about things unfamiliar to them.

ReputationRep:
    It is one of the most fun, tiring and best weeks of your life! Get involved with as much as possible!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jacktimms91)
    Just make the most of it as it will be one of the most memorable weeks of your life, don't lock or hide yourself in your room.
    (Original post by mrppaulo)
    It is one of the most fun, tiring and best weeks of your life! Get involved with as much as possible!
    Absolute ****. I loved my Freshers week, you will too but it is not ''the best week of your life'', the real fun comes once you know people.

The get involved part is true though. Don't stay in your room, get out and talk to everyone because they won't be so open and friendly again!

ReputationRep:
    Its isnt all about getting off your face - though obviously some students do.

The academic side is easing you into Uni life - what is expected of you and what you can expect in return. Lots of 'Intro' sessions to things like Library, IT facilities etc. Tutors and Lectures giving advice about what books to buy/not buy, how to write Uni standard essays etc.

Lots of Freshers Fairs stuff where every form of Society or Club will be trying to recruit you. My advice is go along to the first session of 2 or 3 and pick 1. Uni is a great place to try something new - rowing? rock climbing? scuba diving? or get into politics or a social cause that interests you.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    We had a night out in either the SU Bar or a club in town every evening, and then in the afternoons there were lots of official meetings, a BBQ on one day, and fresher's fair on another day. So mostly it's evenings that are the fun bit, and mornings are for sleeping

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LimeTree.)
    You only went to freshers once?

Pretty sure its 3 weeks in a 3 year period. (mine actually has 2 weeks each year.. so.. for me 6)
    At my uni you could only go to evening events as a fresher! If they found your card was second or third year they wouldn't let you in.....unless you were a freshers angel.

Freshers fare however I went to all 3....mainly cos I was running stalls in my second and third year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Absolute ****. I loved my Freshers week, you will too but it is not ''the best week of your life'', the real fun comes once you know people.

The get involved part is true though. Don't stay in your room, get out and talk to everyone because they won't be so open and friendly again!
    Did I say it was the best week of my life? ..no I did not. I said it was one of the most memorable. Which lets face it is. Moving away from home, meeting new people, having lots of fun and starting uni so yeah I would say it was one of the most memorable moments of anyones life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superpig22)
    At my uni you could only go to evening events as a fresher! If they found your card was second or third year they wouldn't let you in.....unless you were a freshers angel.

Freshers fare however I went to all 3....mainly cos I was running stalls in my second and third year

So unlucky!

Im running a freshers stall this year too :P Archery!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of fumbling as people try to get to know each other and think they have to hang out with their flatmates. Drunken mistakes, drunken fun. Depending on how your uni does it, classes as well. Tours, getting to know the area. Taster events for the various clubs.

Freshers, and uni, are exactly what you make of it. It's a new start in, usually, a new place. Apart from that, there's nothing overly special about it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.