dschiefer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm a year 2 student at Cardiff University & my parents are going to move abroad, leaving me with their car, which is great. I'm going to live at Cambrian Point this year, but they don't offer a car park and ask students to leave their cars outside a 3 mile radius?

When I lived at Talybont South, they said the same thing, but many of my friends parked their cars on Talybont South's carpark and never had any problems. It didn't disturb anyone there I guess. I can't park there though, since I no longer live there.

Reading the Cardiff news sites there seems to be a lot of antipathy towards students owning cars and clogging up the streets with some residencies having up to 6 cars parked upfront. Makes sense, not everyone desperately needs a car.

I'll need the car because I have no other family in the UK so I need to run everything on my own, so where would be the best place to park the car in Cardiff? Doesn't have to be free parking - would be great if one could rent a parking space somewhere, but didn't find such a service on Google.

I'd really apprechiate any solutions you may have. Please don't post any "you don't need a car in Cardiff!" messages. I have my reasons.

Thank you!!!
littlehobbit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.cardiff.gov.uk/content.as...%2C4194%2C4257

That (if it works) tells you about how to go about getting a parking permit. Is there no on road parking near where you live?
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by littlehobbit)

That (if it works) tells you about how to go about getting a parking permit. Is there no on road parking near where you live?
This.

The reason there's no parking within a 3 mile radius is not because they just don't want you being annoying, but because almost all the on road parking around the city center is only with a parking permit. So yeah, think your only solution is to try for a parking permit.

You really don't need a car in Cardiff though, and I can't say I understand why your family not being in the UK means you need a car more. My family doesn't live in the UK, but I can't think of any reasons why that would make a car more necessary. :dontknow:
dschiefer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by littlehobbit)

Thanks, didn't know about the permit. I also found some secure parking spaces for rent, so this has solved the problem for me! Thanks for your help.
Polly1101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There are quite a few streets with permit/resident, and non permit parking, so it may be a base of just going there and driving round to see whats about. I think there is a road opposite talybont court (ish) which is non permit, that i know all my friends used to park on when in halls. You probably won't be able to buy a permit if you don't live in an actual house on the street.
TheGrinningSkull
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dschiefer)
I'm a year 2 student at Cardiff University & my parents are going to move abroad, leaving me with their car, which is great. I'm going to live at Cambrian Point this year, but they don't offer a car park and ask students to leave their cars outside a 3 mile radius?

When I lived at Talybont South, they said the same thing, but many of my friends parked their cars on Talybont South's carpark and never had any problems. It didn't disturb anyone there I guess. I can't park there though, since I no longer live there.

Reading the Cardiff news sites there seems to be a lot of antipathy towards students owning cars and clogging up the streets with some residencies having up to 6 cars parked upfront. Makes sense, not everyone desperately needs a car.

I'll need the car because I have no other family in the UK so I need to run everything on my own, so where would be the best place to park the car in Cardiff? Doesn't have to be free parking - would be great if one could rent a parking space somewhere, but didn't find such a service on Google.

I'd really apprechiate any solutions you may have. Please don't post any "you don't need a car in Cardiff!" messages. I have my reasons.

Thank you!!!
Is Cambrian point between North Road and Maindy road? Is there non-permit parking spaces on Maindy road and some of the side streets off it?
There's always Maindy leisure centre nearby and you can ask them about parking there?
ally1901
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there, How dis you find secure parking spaces to rent in Cardiff?Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
27.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (6)
9.23%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
56.92%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.15%

Watched Threads