The Student Room Group

Dentistry Student At UCH CEU Valencia

I am a parent of a student currently studying dentistry at UCH CEU Valencia. I have joined this site as I have experience of my 'child' applying for the course in Spain, studying on the course, finding accommodation and the many questions that both students and parents are asking during this difficult and stressful time!

Please post your questions and i will look to give an honest opinion of our experience and that of my student.

Not sure why neg as only trying to help!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello what year is your son in?

Have you found any difficulties whilst being on the course?
Did you go through the agency in London?

Regards

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Given the amount of previous 'stoogery' on behalf of UEM on this forum I would be very dubious about how genuine the OP is.

Strikes me as being really weird that whilst most dental schools spend half their time fending of applicants, UEM are so desperate as to have people signed up on here pretending to be students/parents/applicants.

How bad can their marketing department be that no one seems to know anything about them and everything they do on here makes them look disreputable.

But hey, why do I even care....
Original post by Zach7
Hello what year is your son in?

Have you found any difficulties whilst being on the course?
Did you go through the agency in London?

Regards

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

YEAR 2 student

We went through the M&D agency. Not an easy company to deal with but once you have been accepted by CEU no more dealings with them!

The course, although difficult, is comprehensive and a number of students parents have dental practices in the UK and have been happy to send them to this University. There are English students in years 2 , 3 and 4 of the 5 year degree. More to join this year.

There are some students who have moved from Kings and Liverpool who find the course to be up to the standards of UK Universities.

One of the main difficulties is that the majority of the locals do not speak English so it is a steep learning curve trying to find accommodation sorting out the NIE, bank accounts etc... The international relations co ordinator last year was a complete waste of space and we had to sort out the majority of things ourselves! There is now a new co ordinator who i understand to be better.

New to this site so hopefully replying using the correct buttons!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by UCH CEU Valencia
YEAR 2 student

We went through the M&D agency. Not an easy company to deal with but once you have been accepted by CEU no more dealings with them!

The course, although difficult, is comprehensive and a number of students parents have dental practices in the UK and have been happy to send them to this University. There are English students in years 2 , 3 and 4 of the 5 year degree. More to join this year.

There are some students who have moved from Kings and Liverpool who find the course to be up to the standards of UK Universities.

One of the main difficulties is that the majority of the locals do not speak Spanish so it is a steep learning curve trying to find accommodation sorting out the NIE, bank accounts etc... The international relations co ordinator last year was a complete waste of space and we had to sort out the majority of things ourselves! There is now a new co ordinator who i understand to be better.

New to this site so hopefully replying using the correct buttons!

Those students who have done a BSc in the UK (e.g. KCL or Liverpool) won't know the standard of dental training in the UK, so how can they say the course at Valencia is up to UK standards.
Original post by Surgicell
Those students who have done a BSc in the UK (e.g. KCL or Liverpool) won't know the standard of dental training in the UK, so how can they say the course at Valencia is up to UK standards.

Because they have experience of both having transferred from the dentistry degree at Kings and also Liverpool in year 2.
I sent them an email enquiring about their entry requirements, they sent me a couple of emails after a few weeks over a couple of months asking if I was still interested. I eventually told them I couldn't afford their fees and they stopped sending me emails. :lol:

Are you studying Dentistry in the UK?
Any why would anyone do that? I find what you say very hard to believe.

Because they failed their year 2 exams, and re- sits and had to leave. They could not transfer onto another Dental course in the UK.
Reply 8
No idea about UEM so cannot comment about them! I will ignore any abuse and help answer those with serious questions!

My mistake! Couldn't quite comprehend there being 2 dental schools in the same place.

Still, not buying this 'I am a parent....' thing.
Original post by cptKernow
My mistake! Couldn't quite comprehend there being 2 dental schools in the same place.

Still, not buying this 'I am a parent....' thing.

Whatever! Keyboard warrior!

I wonder why there has never been a serious discussion about dentistry abroad? Looking at other threads as soon as someone asks a serious question and asks for help from students on the course you trolls post your conspiracy theories!!

Let people who are genuinely looking for answers about studying abroad from students who are actually on the course, or members of their family, ask their questions and they will get honest answers, both positive and negative!
Reply 10
No one is interested in Valencia, please leave us alone and go to your child!

On the contrary. I imagine lots of people are interested in Valencia. Seems like a good option for some people. However, facts seem awfully thin on the ground.

Whatever! Keyboard warrior!

I know enough about human nature to feel the scenario and enactment of this thread to be a touch disingenuous.
Reply 11
as a uk citizen, will i be considered an international student. what are the fees?
and is this a private or state funded collage
Sorry for the delay in replying 12345:smile: ! As a UK citizen you will be considered as an international student. The fees are £16000 for the first year which include an administration fee to M&D and then approx £13500 per year payable directly to the university. These are payable in Euros so will fluctuate in line with the exchange rate.
It is a private funded university. Higher fees than the UK but cheaper rental & living costs.
Reply 13
My son is applying this year 2013..

Can you advise me what I should be careful of.

Can you advise of your experience.

Thanks
Original post by Org

Thanks

We have had a good experience so far at CEU. Please ask specifics if possible and I will endeavour to answer them for you.

There is very little English spoken in Moncada, where the University is situated, so i would encourage your son to take Spanish lessons asap as this will help him settle in. The course is in English but the clinics are with Spanish patients. Spanish lessons are taken in addition to the course.

Your son needs to be committed to study and have a passion for becoming a dentist as the course is extremely hard and requires a lot of dedication. I am sure this is the same at a UK University!

There is not a great deal of help available in finding accommodation by the University and I would certainly advise a visit prior to applying to take a look at their facilities and speak to current students.

Flights home can be a problem in the Winter other than to/from Gatwick or Stansted.
Reply 15
Sorry for the delay in replying 12345:smile: ! As a UK citizen you will be considered as an international student. The fees are £16000 for the first year which include an administration fee to M&D and then approx £13500 per year payable directly to the university. These are payable in Euros so will fluctuate in line with the exchange rate.
It is a private funded university. Higher fees than the UK but cheaper rental & living costs.

Hi, thanks for the info. I'm looking at applying for September, however on the CEU website it says that fees are 20000 euros per year. I was wondering where I would find where you found this information about fees changing after the first year. Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply 16
Is this degree approved by the GDC. Would there be any problem finding work in the uk.
Reply 17
Original post by Org

Thanks

Dont apply. Degree is not valid and problems with GDC
It's Dentistry Clinic, equipped with dental laboratories, X-ray and sterilization rooms, will be where you will be able to practice every day in order to become a dental health professional. In addition to this, you will be given the access to the latest advanced technology and equipment as directed by the European guide lines in the dentistry industry.As with all courses at the CEU Cardenal Herrera University, you will receive unique supervision by teachers and professionals. They will accompany you throughout all your training period to provide help and advice.
Reply 19
I am a parent of a student currently studying dentistry at UCH CEU Valencia. I have joined this site as I have experience of my 'child' applying for the course in Spain, studying on the course, finding accommodation and the many questions that both students and parents are asking during this difficult and stressful time!

Please post your questions and i will look to give an honest opinion of our experience and that of my student.

Not sure why neg as only trying to help!

Dear parent of fellow classmate,
Degree is not valid in spain and uk . Call GDC if you dont believe me. They are liars and they have not even applied for it. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest