The Student Room Group

Dentistry Student At UCH CEU Valencia

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dentist2013
It's Dentistry Clinic, equipped with dental laboratories, X-ray and sterilization rooms, will be where you will be able to practice every day in order to become a dental health professional. In addition to this, you will be given the access to the latest advanced technology and equipment as directed by the European guide lines in the dentistry industry.As with all courses at the CEU Cardenal Herrera University, you will receive unique supervision by teachers and professionals. They will accompany you throughout all your training period to provide help and advice.

really? anything else you care to copy and paste from their website :smile:)))
Reply 21
Original post by Org
My son is applying this year 2013..

Can you advise me what I should be careful of.

Can you advise of your experience.

Thanks

Hi Org,
Dont be fooled by what "UCH CEU Valencia" is posting, they are either the M&D agents or someone protecting the university by giving you false information. Read my following post and be careful how you are proceeding:

Before I re-post, I want to make clear that I am not gaining or losing anything by telling you this. But as someone who has been scammed and currently studying Dentistry at UCH CEU I want to let you know what is going on.

I HIGHLY ADVICE, to ask M&D, or Read Medicine or whatever other name they trade under, who is the responsible agent for UCH CEU in Valencia Spain and the other agent responsible for sending students to UEM (who I dont know what their name is), to confirm IN WRITING that the universities they are sending you or your child to is officially recognised in your destined country. In my case, I have found out that GDC is not recognising the degree title "Grado en Odontologia" in UK and the responsible person for sending me here from M&D lied by saying they are recognised and they continue to do so and sending more students here on false information. It is your money, your time, your life. Even CEU refuses to give anything in writing to say they are recognised because they dont know. You are practically buying your degree here and if you pay M&D good money they will transfer you to whatever year you want, even if you failed or never studied the relevant dentistry subject. How can such a university be legal and how can you expect General Dental Council to validate it? I just heard this from other people in upper years and they are sostressed because they have to apply to VT asap.

You can Call GDC on 020 7887 3800 and ask for the person who is dealing with the spanish degree in dentistry and confirm in writing what I have just told you. If you do receive anything in writing that CEU and UEM is recognised by them RIGHT NOW, please attach post and highlight it to everybody, because as far as we are concerned, CEU is not recognised by the GDC.
anybody going to the open day or starting in 09 2013

would like to chat
Original post by uch ceu valencia
i am a parent of a student currently studying dentistry at uch ceu valencia. I have joined this site as i have experience of my 'child' applying for the course in spain, studying on the course, finding accommodation and the many questions that both students and parents are asking during this difficult and stressful time!

Please post your questions and i will look to give an honest opinion of our experience and that of my student.

Not sure why neg as only trying to help!

you scam stop wasting my time !! :angry:

rot in hell.
Reply 24
Original post by CEU2013
Hi Org,
Dont be fooled by what "UCH CEU Valencia" is posting, they are either the M&D agents or someone protecting the university by giving you false information. Read my following post and be careful how you are proceeding:

Before I re-post, I want to make clear that I am not gaining or losing anything by telling you this. But as someone who has been scammed and currently studying Dentistry at UCH CEU I want to let you know what is going on.

I HIGHLY ADVICE, to ask M&D, or Read Medicine or whatever other name they trade under, who is the responsible agent for UCH CEU in Valencia Spain and the other agent responsible for sending students to UEM (who I dont know what their name is), to confirm IN WRITING that the universities they are sending you or your child to is officially recognised in your destined country. In my case, I have found out that GDC is not recognising the degree title "Grado en Odontologia" in UK and the responsible person for sending me here from M&D lied by saying they are recognised and they continue to do so and sending more students here on false information. It is your money, your time, your life. Even CEU refuses to give anything in writing to say they are recognised because they dont know. You are practically buying your degree here and if you pay M&D good money they will transfer you to whatever year you want, even if you failed or never studied the relevant dentistry subject. How can such a university be legal and how can you expect General Dental Council to validate it? I just heard this from other people in upper years and they are sostressed because they have to apply to VT asap.

You can Call GDC on 020 7887 3800 and ask for the person who is dealing with the spanish degree in dentistry and confirm in writing what I have just told you. If you do receive anything in writing that CEU and UEM is recognised by them RIGHT NOW, please attach post and highlight it to everybody, because as far as we are concerned, CEU is not recognised by the GDC.

Why don't you guys just study in the UK?
Why do you want to study abroad anyway?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 25
bit late now, if i'd knew i'd reconsider
Original post by CEU2013
bit late now, if i'd knew i'd reconsider

Which year are you in? Are you going to the meeting being held at the Uni this Thursday to discuss this?

I have not logged on to this site for weeks because as a parent was only trying to help but received abuse so have not bothered!

Having read your post regarding the GDC this too concerned us & my wife phoned them yesterday & discussed with a gentleman by the name of Jonathan who spoke at length & gave her some reassurances regarding CEU & their Dentistry degree.

I will try & post on here what was said over the next couple of days because he went into great length & detail with her & I want to be as accurate as possible! She is currently asleep.

Did you phone the GDC prior to enrolling as we did & I would urge everyone to do the same, visit the Uni & make up their own minds.

I do not know why the Uni are changing the name of the degree other than apparently something to do with Spanish Law so am in the dark as much as you at present. I am hopeful that they will explain more on Thursday!

Rest assured as a parent who is paying out thousands of Euro's in fees I am as keen as you are to find out more! All I can say is we were comforted after my wife's discussion with the GDC.

As far as UEM the other University in Valencia is concerned I understand that students there have recently been told that the final 2 years of their Dentistry course will be taught in Spanish! Something that was not mentioned to them prior to starting the course! Is that your understanding?
Original post by PureDevotion
you scam stop wasting my time !! :angry:

rot in hell.

Was the reason you came to this forum to abuse or research studying Dentistry abroad?

From your reply above I would suggest you look into studying a different degree because you do not appear to work well under stress!
Original post by Dev*
Why don't you guys just study in the UK?
Why do you want to study abroad anyway?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Not always by choice! 3 yrs ago Leeds applicants 1500 for 75 places!

However if your son/daughter has a burning desire to study & work in the profession & is prepared to live abroad for 5 years to achieve this then as a parent you help fulfil that dream! Certainly not for everyone!!
Original post by Wannabadentist
anybody going to the open day or starting in 09 2013

would like to chat

I have received your direct message & happy to help where I can. Will be in touch.

Out of interest when is the open day this year?
I heard from M&D that they CEU are gaining recognition this year!!!
Can anyone let me know who they need to get recognition from for the degree to be valid in EU not just Spain?
Original post by JohnBoradfield
Can anyone let me know who they need to get recognition from for the degree to be valid in EU not just Spain?

My understanding is they are getting recognition from the EU at Brussels.

It is also my understanding that new students can now also apply directly to the university for a place rather than having to deal through M&D.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JohnBoradfield

John please click on this link which takes you to a statement issued by CEU. They are looking at obtaining the recognition in this academic year.

http://www.readmedicine.com/ceu-uch-statement.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Visited CEU with my parents and met a few of the students and had a tour of the place.

I waited to post this until I had a placement confirmed.

This is certainly a good option for people looking for a place to study dentistry.

All the students I spoke to were quite honest about not getting into UK schools, but all said they were happy they were at CEU. And I was found out that most of them had good A levels. Bareing in mind that I met UK students with 2 A and 1 B offers for UK schools.

Like many on the forum I was worried about the GDC recognition but this applies to all spanish schools who are converting their degrees to Grado and it is just a matter of time before they are recognised.

The layout of the school was like a campus and lots of open spaces, even if too many pictures of the Pope!! The clinics were modern and the equipment was German, mostly Kavo which I am told is one of the best.

The exisiting students said that the classes were good and even though they had to work very hard, it was an enjoyable course and there was a good relationship between the students.

Learning spanish is essential but you have 3 years to do so before you see patients and the school was up front about this.

The location is not in Valencia but a small town about 15km outside but there is a regular metro train from the campus to the beach!!!

Accomodation was good and very cheap.

I did try to contact the rather abusive person on this thread who refused to disclose themselves. I suspect they have an axe to grind and are most likely trying to get potential students to apply elsewhere so perhaps they work for an agency!!!!

Deciding where to go is fraught with problems and anybody applying to UK school will know how unfair the UK selection process is.

The fact is that a dental degree from Spain is better than a UK one. The students who graduate in the UK are not considered to have the requirements to work immediately for the NHS and this says a lot. It says a lot about their degrees and it says a lot about them too. It says that they are quite happy to be regarded as second rate graduates and be walked all over. The guys I met in valencia were confident and I can imagine good fun to be with.

I would strongly reccomend that if you are interested make a visit. I looked at a few UK schools and found them depressing and as if the had been converted from prisions. They were all situated in the most deprived areas. Overall it was very depressing. Valencia with its weather and atmosphere is a no brainer.
Reply 34
Once again M & D did not tell me and few more students I know, that this degree is not valid by GDC because they knew we would pull out otherwise. I dont gain anything or lose anything by sharing information but you will soon realise what is abuse when you start at CEU. You talked about them being upfront ... Did they tell you that you have to pay for all your equipment like they told me and spend 4 or 5k more? Did you ask if you have a quota to fill in so you are competent when you graduate? Do you know there are so many students around you so you only have a chance to peek at the patient, and if lucky you might just do 1 extraction in the whole of 1 semester? This is all because this uni is disorganised, it disgusts me how they operate and as I've heard from others there will be an investigation on its way from the Spanish authority to look into CEU's operation. I'm stuck here and I'm telling you its crap and find a better uni. Another student was looking to go to Poland coz its better run than here and recognised by GDC. UK might be depressing, coz Spain has the sun? Better off booking a holiday out here than living with their miserable economy and system failure. At least back at home you have legal ways to protect you, here ... its the door you came in from. And dont go round saying the fact is ... when you have not a clue what a fact is. The degree here has a made up name, they can practically write down you did whatever hours, when you didnt so please, I dont know what you have been influenced by, perhaps too much sun, plate of paella or saw Malvarossa...get it straight and dont mislead prospective applicants. I think you spoke to 10 Brits who like to go out, get pi$$ed and enjoy the spanish lifestyle when fact is they failed the exams, have to repeat and dont tell their parents :wink: Congrats on getting your place anyway
Original post by CEU2013
Once again M & D did not tell me and few more students I know, that this degree is not valid by GDC because they knew we would pull out otherwise. I dont gain anything or lose anything by sharing information but you will soon realise what is abuse when you start at CEU. You talked about them being upfront ... Did they tell you that you have to pay for all your equipment like they told me and spend 4 or 5k more? Did you ask if you have a quota to fill in so you are competent when you graduate? Do you know there are so many students around you so you only have a chance to peek at the patient, and if lucky you might just do 1 extraction in the whole of 1 semester? This is all because this uni is disorganised, it disgusts me how they operate and as I've heard from others there will be an investigation on its way from the Spanish authority to look into CEU's operation. I'm stuck here and I'm telling you its crap and find a better uni. Another student was looking to go to Poland coz its better run than here and recognised by GDC. UK might be depressing, coz Spain has the sun? Better off booking a holiday out here than living with their miserable economy and system failure. At least back at home you have legal ways to protect you, here ... its the door you came in from. And dont go round saying the fact is ... when you have not a clue what a fact is. The degree here has a made up name, they can practically write down you did whatever hours, when you didnt so please, I dont know what you have been influenced by, perhaps too much sun, plate of paella or saw Malvarossa...get it straight and dont mislead prospective applicants. I think you spoke to 10 Brits who like to go out, get pi$$ed and enjoy the spanish lifestyle when fact is they failed the exams, have to repeat and dont tell their parents :wink: Congrats on getting your place anyway

Just wondering why you didn't want to meet up with the previous poster during their recent visit if you are trying to help?

Any body reading the above, make a call to the GDC who will put your mind at ease & tell you the true facts. With a Dentistry degree from CEU you do not need to do VT on your return to the UK unless you want to work in a NHS practice or hospital.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by UCH CEU Valencia
Just wondering why you didn't want to meet up with the previous poster during their recent visit if you are trying to help?

Any body reading the above, make a call to the GDC who will put your mind at ease & tell you the true facts. With a Dentistry degree from CEU you do not need to do VT on your return to the UK unless you want to work in a NHS practice or hospital.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already spoke to the GDC about this degree and they said that they had no obligation to accept anyone with this degree and allow them to practice in the UK. So yes actually, all it takes is one call to the GDC to find out how bogus spending time studying there actually is. At the end of the day if you want to practice dentistry in the UK then you have to get a degree that's recognised. Safest way to do that is to get a BDS in the UK.
Original post by konanakon
I already spoke to the GDC about this degree and they said that they had no obligation to accept anyone with this degree and allow them to practice in the UK. So yes actually, all it takes is one call to the GDC to find out how bogus spending time studying there actually is. At the end of the day if you want to practice dentistry in the UK then you have to get a degree that's recognised. Safest way to do that is to get a BDS in the UK.

The GDC are under no obligation to accept any Dentist be it from the UK or abroad but do not discriminate on the basis of where a student studied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CEU2013

Dear Student, I have been in Valencia recently. I am aware that another Uni for dentistry is available in central Valencia with annual fee around 14000 euros. They accept transfers from other unis. I wonder if you are so unhappy with CEU, why you do not change to the other uni and save a fortune. Even the degrees are the same but in the end you have at least saved considerable money.
This person who posts seems to me to be a person with an axe to grind. They say enough to put the seeds of doubt. But I would strongly suggest that you visit both schools and make up your mind yourself. The last poster made a good point: if your degree is useless why do you stay or transfer. When I went there I met nobody with any problems and contacted a few after I left and they seemed to be happy. It s a shame this person is so negative as the two schools in Valencia offer a real opportunity for people who have failed to get into UK schools despite having good A Levels. I did check with GDC in UK and their current qualification is recognised. There new one which is the new standard one for Spain is not recognised yet, but as with all Spanish schools who will be using the new degree from 2014, it is only a matter of time.I was told about the extras and the school was very open about them as were the students I met. They seemed a very happy bunch but made no secret that the work was hard and whilst some did fail modules they usually were the ones who did not work

Quick Reply

Latest