UX engineering MSc Dundee anyone? Watch

braidon2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I was wondering if there is anybody here who is going to study UX engineering at the University of Dundee.
stergihan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,

Anyone studying MSc User Experience Engineering (September 2016) ???

Apfelchips
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi stergihan,

Looks like we are future classmates: I'll also start my studies in MSc User Experience Engineering in September 2016 – though I'm not sure if User Experience Engineering or User Experience Design is the programme's correct title (they seem to use both titles interchangeably.)
choco12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
May I ask what made you pick this course? Considering it for 2016 entry as well and would love some insight!
Apfelchips
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by choco12)
May I ask what made you pick this course? Considering it for 2016 entry as well and would love some insight!
Well, in my case it's because of the Bachelor's programme I've been studying in before. In it's two last semesters we had to pick an elective module – I've picked Human-Machine Interaction (after doing some research about this). The module's topic turned out to be awesomely interesting, so I even wrote my Bachelor's thesis on a topic settled in the are of Human-Machine Interaction. This interest made me then look for a master's programme. After searching the web for appropriate programmes (www.mastersportal.eu is great for such researches) I stumbled over Dundee's User Experience Engineering MSc programme:

The university has a pretty good reputation, the School of Computing emanates an almost familiar atmosphere and the programme's contents (which is described on the university website) looks really interesting. It builds up directly on the content of my Bachelor's programme, it really is a perfect fit. Besides, I also appreciate the fact that the city of Dundee is located near the Highlands (looking forward for awesome hiking trips in the semester breaks) and the sea. The "total package" seems just about right. Now of course there's always the risk of falling short of my expectations – but life about taking risks? ;-)
choco12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Apfelchips)
Well, in my case it's because of the Bachelor's programme I've been studying in before. In it's two last semesters we had to pick an elective module – I've picked Human-Machine Interaction (after doing some research about this). The module's topic turned out to be awesomely interesting, so I even wrote my Bachelor's thesis on a topic settled in the are of Human-Machine Interaction. This interest made me then look for a master's programme. After searching the web for appropriate programmes (www.mastersportal.eu is great for such researches) I stumbled over Dundee's User Experience Engineering MSc programme:

The university has a pretty good reputation, the School of Computing emanates an almost familiar atmosphere and the programme's contents (which is described on the university website) looks really interesting. It builds up directly on the content of my Bachelor's programme, it really is a perfect fit. Besides, I also appreciate the fact that the city of Dundee is located near the Highlands (looking forward for awesome hiking trips in the semester breaks) and the sea. The "total package" seems just about right. Now of course there's always the risk of falling short of my expectations – but life about taking risks? ;-)
Thanks, that actually helped a lot. The only thing that worries me is career prospects after this course compared to, let's say, UCL's HCI course. I'm worried that employers will not be as impressed by it..
Apfelchips
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by choco12)
Thanks, that actually helped a lot. The only thing that worries me is career prospects after this course compared to, let's say, UCL's HCI course. I'm worried that employers will not be as impressed by it..
I think that the influence of the fact which uni you graduated from on how much you are worth on the job market is highly overrated. Having studied at a first-class uni isn't synonymous with being perfectly educated and having the best of all skills in a certain subject area. Employers know that and won't put your application aside just because your competitors have graduated from a renowned uni.

In addition to that, I couldn't even finance a studies at UCL given those ridiculous tuition fees and rental prices (for student accommodation) in London. ;-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day (Dentistry Only) Undergraduate
    Mon, 10 Jun '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day (Medicine Only) Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise