The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Certainly not Care homes, I don’t want some unqualified and uncaring numpty looking after my Gran.
Also slave labour? really
Horrible horrible horrible IDEA

Firstly, I agree with above, you can't put any old person in a care home to look after ill physically/mentally patients! I certainly wouldn't anyway, working for free is a BIG NO NO in this world at the moment, but each to their own, if you want to be taken advantage of then go for it.
Reply 3
Original post by BaldFadedBrother
x

Totally misinterpreted your "any old person" comment :lol:

I agree that you can't put just anybody into a care home, but I think that offering people a 3 month placement in say retail, or cleaning, or similar low skill positions that provides valuable experience and could lead to paid work.

I believe it should be voluntary and not linked to JSA also.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC
Original post by NathanM
Totally misinterpreted your "any old person" comment :lol:

I agree that you can't put just anybody into a care home, but I think that offering people a 3 month placement in say retail, or cleaning, or similar low skill positions that provides valuable experience and could lead to paid work.

I believe it should be voluntary and not linked to JSA also.

Aha, I just noticed, maybe I should edit that :P!

In retail yes, in a skilled profession, yes. But in a charity shop, no. And if anything it should be paid, how do they expect one to get to work with no money for 3 months?
Reply 5
Original post by NewFolder
If a (for-profit) company has room for an employee, why should they be allowed to employ them without paying them?!

It's ridiculous really. If companies can legally employ people for free, more people will be made redundant and replaced with volunteers.

Because the unskilled are a risk, so giving them an unpaid trial is quite fair as it could lead to paid employment.

Your scenario of laying people off in place of free labour is ludicrous. This wouldn't happen as there would be no terms and conditions, no repercussions if things went wrong and why would people bother to turn up if they weren't getting paid?

Reply 6

In retail yes, in a skilled profession, yes. But in a charity shop, no. And if anything it should be paid, how do they expect one to get to work with no money for 3 months?

Job Seekers? Or maybe the alternative is to give them an appentice wage (generally about 3pound an hour)? That would at least tone down the cries of "slave labour"

Reply 7
So basically forcing people to work for **** all for 3 months.
Reply 8
Original post by . .
So basically forcing people to work for **** all for 3 months.

I'm all for it. Why not when the alternative is for them to do **** all and get paid 56quid a week for it?

Reply 9
Original post by NewFolder
If a (for-profit) company has room for an employee, why should they be allowed to employ them without paying them?!

It's ridiculous really. If companies can legally employ people for free, more people will be made redundant and replaced with volunteers.

Your comments don't make sense. The government are telling people that they have to work 30 hours a week in order to receive JSA.
I doubt that volunteers will replace paid workers.

You will be able to get there. The article states that you have to do voluntary work for 30 hours a week in order to be eligible for JSA.
So if you work your 30 hours, you will be paid your JSA.

Original post by NathanM
Job Seekers? Or maybe the alternative is to give them an appentice wage (generally about 3pound an hour)? That would at least tone down the cries of "slave labour"

Charity shops have always been run by volunteers. It is not slave labour - the government aren't forcing you into a german concentration camp for 3 months. That would be slave labour. Voluntary work is not slave labour.
Reply 10
Original post by NathanM
I'm all for it. Why not when the alternative is for them to do **** all and get paid 56quid a week for it?

Because it is slave labour.
And no they are not doing nothing they are doing exactly what it says seeking jobs.
The emphasis should be on making it impossible for people to cheat the system.
Reply 11
Original post by . .
Because it is slave labour.
And no they are not doing nothing they are doing exactly what it says seeking jobs.
The emphasis should be on making it impossible for people to cheat the system.

I see it more as an incentive to look for work. If you're having to earn your JSA (which will inevitably be renamed if this trial is successful) then you're gonna search a hell of a lot harder than if all you have to do is pop into the Job Centre once a week and tell them that you've "read the newspaper and there's nothing suitable"

Also, it's not slave labour. They're being paid for working.
Reply 12
Original post by NathanM
I see it more as an incentive to look for work. If you're having to earn your JSA (which will inevitably be renamed if this trial is successful) then you're gonna search a hell of a lot harder than if all you have to do is pop into the Job Centre once a week and tell them that you've "read the newspaper and there's nothing suitable"

Also, it's not slave labour. They're being paid for working.

If you're earning JSA isn't it the same as working? Why not just pay them NMW then?
Reply 13
I think this is absolutely ridiculous. £56 a week doesn't go far at all. If you want to do work experience, that should be up to you. But currently most people are unemployed because the jobs aren't out there. So, if suddenly there are jobs to do in order to earn this tiny lifeline in a despondent circumstance, then why aren't these jobs there to go after anywhere? I swear this government live in a fantasy land or something. They certainly have absolutely no idea what's going on down here in the real world. I don't see how anyone takes anything they say seriously. This is not rocket science. I agree, in this case, why not pay them NMW? This do what they really want as well and cut unemployment rates. Then everyone can go back to thinking we have intelligent human beings and not arrogant chumps in charge of the country. Oh, and of course, people would have something to live off of at the end of the day until something better comes along.
Reply 14
Original post by . .
If you're earning JSA isn't it the same as working? Why not just pay them NMW then?

Because these people are in excess to the business' labour model, and if paid, they are an additional cost. My labour budget is tight as it is, if I paid NMW, I'd add an additional £182 (roughly 7.3%) every week. And what for? For providing training, skills and experience to someone who's only here for 3 months. Even if the government was to subsidise their wage (by the JSA amount), that's still £126 I would be expected to pay them each week. It just doesn't make business sense.
Reply 15
Original post by NathanM
Because these people are in excess to the business' labour model, and if paid, they are an additional cost. My labour budget is tight as it is, if I paid NMW, I'd add an additional £182 (roughly 7.3%) every week. And what for? For providing training, skills and experience to someone who's only here for 3 months. Even if the government was to subsidise their wage (by the JSA amount), that's still £126 I would be expected to pay them each week. It just doesn't make business sense.

So you want to get free labour which the government pays for on your behalf? You're just as bad if not worse than those that claim JSA with no desire to get a job.
Horrible horrible horrible IDEA

Firstly, I agree with above, you can't put any old person in a care home to look after ill physically/mentally patients! I certainly wouldn't anyway, working for free is a BIG NO NO in this world at the moment, but each to their own, if you want to be taken advantage of then go for it.

No it isn't.

Thats how my brother got employed on a salary most graduates wouldn't sneeze at. :erm:
Reply 17
Original post by . .
So you want to get free labour which the government pays for on your behalf? You're just as bad if not worse than those that claim JSA with no desire to get a job.

But it's not free. I need to invest time (and therefore money) providing them with the appropriate training. I'm happy to provide this, but not at my own cost when there's no benefit to the business from it. How exactly am I worse than those with no desire to get a job?
Original post by geebee
I think this is absolutely ridiculous. £56 a week doesn't go far at all. If you want to do work experience, that should be up to you. But currently most people are unemployed because the jobs aren't out there. So, if suddenly there are jobs to do in order to earn this tiny lifeline in a despondent circumstance, then why aren't these jobs there to go after anywhere? I swear this government live in a fantasy land or something. They certainly have absolutely no idea what's going on down here in the real world. I don't see how anyone takes anything they say seriously. This is not rocket science. I agree, in this case, why not pay them NMW? This do what they really want as well and cut unemployment rates. Then everyone can go back to thinking we have intelligent human beings and not arrogant chumps in charge of the country. Oh, and of course, people would have something to live off of at the end of the day until something better comes along.

The logical conclusion is that there is no NMW or plus paying jobs around.

Therefore the only jobs left are the ones worth below NMW
Reply 19
Original post by NathanM
But it's not free. I need to invest time (and therefore money) providing them with the appropriate training. I'm happy to provide this, but not at my own cost when there's no benefit to the business from it. How exactly am I worse than those with no desire to get a job?

Well they wouldn't be a slaves in a job that requires tremendous amounts of training. It would be jobs like shop assistant. You're taking on free labour so your taking something for nothing.
And time is not money. Cut the crap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending