Turn on thread page Beta

Would you like to be able to close your own threads? watch

ReputationRep:
    Dear everyone,
    Myself and Gimp would like to put the following possible change to you all. We would like to make it possible for the person who started a thread to have the power to close their threads if they wish. Our reasoning for this is simple. Some threads ask a specific question, which is answered to the satisfaction of the thread starter early on. However, these threads sometimes have a habit of popping back to the top of the message list when someone feels like making their own, often pointless comments.

Whilst I fully accept that comments (pointless or not) is the very point of some threads, and I partake in these as much as the next person, I feel we should be able to close threads which we started if they are simple questions which have been answered.

Any thoughts? Please answer the above poll.

If the results are positive, we can put it to 'd'.

Many thanks,
    Ed

ReputationRep:
    Grr server was busy and posted the message, but didn't let me create a poll!

Can a mod please fix and add a simple yes/no poll? Or delete it and I'll try again.

(Original post by Tednol)
    Dear everyone,
    Myself and Gimp would like to put the following possible change to you all. We would like to make it possible for the person who started a thread to have the power to close their threads if they wish. Our reasoning for this is simple. Some threads ask a specific question, which is answered to the satisfaction of the thread starter early on. However, these threads sometimes have a habit of popping back to the top of the message list when someone feels like making their own, often pointless comments.

Whilst I fully accept that comments (pointless or not) is the very point of some threads, and I partake in these as much as the next person, I feel we should be able to close threads which we started if they are simple questions which have been answered.

Many thanks,
    Ed

Yes, i think we should be able to close down our own threads.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, i get anoying.
    i end up getting 20 e-mails wen i cheack me e-mail after i created 1.

ReputationRep:
    Tendol can you edit your first post and add the poll? I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    yes please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rover)
    yeh, i get anoying.
    i end up getting 20 e-mails wen i cheack me e-mail after i created 1.
    Go to options and check the box which involves you recieving no email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Tendol can you edit your first post and add the poll? I'm not sure.
    I tried, and no...

ReputationRep:
    Will the closed threads just disappear or can you still view them in a search?

ReputationRep:
    poll added!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    poll added!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    You can still view them. However you will not be able to reply to them unless you can persuade whoever started the thread to open it again by sending a PM.

ReputationRep:
    Mods,
    Any chance of making this poll sticky for the next few hours?

Ed

ReputationRep:
    Yes, absolutely.
    So many times you see threads at the top which you've already seen so many times- when you click you tend to find someone's just added a .
    Closing threads would probably save server space too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    i assume they will be just like the locked threads that mods do. i assume technically they will disappear into the oblivion that is page 3 and beyond.

ReputationRep:
    Dear everyone,

Many thanks,
    Ed
    do you think that people will remember to close them after its a few days old?

i think it has possibility to be abused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    do you think that people will remember to close them after its a few days old?

i think it has possibility to be abused.
    Well said wildboy

ReputationRep:
    Dear everyone,
    Myself and Gimp would like to put the following possible change to you all. We would like to make it possible for the person who started a thread to

Many thanks,
    Ed
    Hmm... has many potential advantages, however it also has a lot of disadvantages. What if people decide to close threads since they're losing an argument or a debate? Just because you're the OP doesn't give you the right to cut off other peoples' debate within the thread. It could be very annoying to have an interesting argument cut short by a bad loser IMO.

I think a better solution would be an automatic archival of threads after a certain age (i.e. moved to a seperate read-only forum). d did start doing it manually at one point, however that is clearly unfeasible. I'm sure a hack for vBulletin must exist... just got to wait for the board to be upgraded...

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Hmm... has many potential advantages, however it also has a lot of disadvantages. What if people decide to close threads since they're losing an argument or a debate? Just because you're the OP doesn't give you the right to cut off other peoples' debate within the thread. It could be very annoying to have an interesting argument cut short by a bad loser IMO.
    surely you mods have the ability to unlock threads?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't bother me either way tbh.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.