The Student Room Group

Uni students, how many languages do you speak?

Scroll to see replies

Just 2, English and Bravanese but hoping to learn Arabic and Italian in the future which were the languages spoken by my ancestors :smile:
English and Russian, but only because my mother is from Russia. I learnt French in school but had no real interest in it, it's only recently that I've wanted to learn more, and I spend every summer in Spain actively learning, so I can now get by comfortably in French and Spanish as well. I can also say 'I am feeling overwhelmed' in Italian - not really sure where I learnt that, but I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point.
Reply 42
Five in total :smile:
Fluent: German, English and Filipino (Tagalog)
Upper-Intermediate: French and Finnish
Reply 43
Welsh- first language then English and French through school
English native language, Spanish and Portuguese. Arabic is next on the list!
French is my native language, fluent in English, and I can hold my own in Spanish...
English French and Italian. Father is italian, and french is fun.
English and fluent in Welsh. Know a bit of French from GCSE does that count?
English and Cymraeg!

I can also hold a conversation in French and Spanish.
(edited 11 years ago)
2- English and German. My Spanish has grown very rusty since leaving school so it's not longer anything approaching fluent. I don't really care much for romance languages though so not too bothered- I'd like to learn a Scandinavian language next, or something from the Benelux countries. Thinking it'll probably be either Swedish or Dutch, especially as (apparently) the latter is incredibly easy to learn if you have English and German already.
Reply 50
Original post by Holby_fanatic
English and Cymraeg!

I can also hols a conversation in French and Spanish.

Not sure about English...
Original post by Juichiro
Not sure about English...

Haha, that was clearly a typing error. :tongue: Thanks for pointing it out though. :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by AverageExcellence
Whoever said 5+ is a liar!

Nope. I really can speak 5 and another in basic level. Plus I can read another language (but can't speak it :\) if your family is diverse enough, learning languages is easy - when everyone around you is mixing and code switching between at least three languages all the time, you have to learn, in order to keep up :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Yrazak
Nope. I really can speak 5 and another in basic level. Plus I can read another language (but can't speak it :\) if your family is diverse enough, learning languages is easy - when everyone around you is mixing and code switching between at least three languages all the time, you have to learn, in order to keep up :biggrin:

Well i speak basic german, french and spanish but i wouldn't say i speak 3 + english.
I can speak English and French and a few phrases in Chinese and Italian. But I want to learn to be fluent in Italian, not a language student I just really like Italy :tongue:
Reply 55
Original post by JamesYoung
1. English. I'm embarrassed to be perfectly honest. I want to learn Spanish/French/Mandarin at University as part of some courses they throw on (think you have to pay £250), but I'm not sure whether I'll have the motivation and I don't want to waste money. :frown:

?! :eek: id say 250 is definitely worth being able to possibly speak a whole other language!
Reply 56
Original post by AverageExcellence
Well i speak basic german, french and spanish but i wouldn't say i speak 3 + english.

LOL whoops I worded that wrong! I meant I can speak 5 fluently. And then another in basic form. I didn't mean I can speak 6 in basic! Haha

Reply 57
Only English fluently. Although hoping to do French and/or Russian at uni as an extra.
Reply 58
I wonder what most people on here count as bilingual? Getting a good grade in a foreign language on a-level is usually nowhere near being bilingual in my eyes..
I can read Norwegian, and I can also understand a lot depending on what dialect it is, but I would never call myself fluent in it though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
English, Russian, Turkish, Azerbaijani and a little bit Spanish and still improving... 5 and I'm not a liar!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending