The Student Room Group

Uni students, how many languages do you speak?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Sommerfugl
I wonder what most people on here count as bilingual? Getting a good grade in a foreign language on a-level is usually nowhere near being bilingual in my eyes..
I can read Norwegian, and I can also understand a lot depending on what dialect it is, but I would never call myself fluent in it though.

This.

Threads like this always infuriate me as people claim to be able to speak a language after only having studied for the GCSE and A Level. These in no way prepare anyone for regular, everyday conversations.

Hell, I study French at uni and I'm even moving there in two weeks but I wouldn't say that I can fully speak the language. I don't even expect to be bilingual when I graduate - it's very rare for a language grad to be able to claim fluency.
Reply 61
Original post by .Scout.
This.

Threads like this always infuriate me as people claim to be able to speak a language after only having studied for the GCSE and A Level. These in no way prepare anyone for regular, everyday conversations.

Hell, I study French at uni and I'm even moving there in two weeks but I wouldn't say that I can fully speak the language. I don't even expect to be bilingual when I graduate - it's very rare for a language grad to be able to claim fluency.

True, usually people only become proper fluent in a language if they either grew up with it or if they have moved to another country and picked it up.
Fluent in: English, German
Advanced: Spanish, French
I also speak a bit of Japanese and Portuguese and am currently learning Dutch :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by .Scout.
This.

:yep:

I've been living in France for two years and wouldn't class myself as truly fluent yet.

It's interesting to read about the people who were raised bilingually and inspiring to hear about people who have learnt a language to fluency, but the masses of 'I got a French GCSE 5 years ago' posts are pretty irritating. To be fair, though, language classes are so far from the real world that you don't always realise how limited your skills are. It was only when I went to France that I realised I was missing really basic vocabulary because in class we just talked about global warming and irrelevant crap.

All the best for your year abroad :h:
Original post by xmarilynx
:yep:

I've been living in France for two years and wouldn't class myself as truly fluent yet.

It's interesting to read about the people who were raised bilingually and inspiring to hear about people who have learnt a language to fluency, but the masses of 'I got a French GCSE 5 years ago' posts are pretty irritating. To be fair, though, language classes are so far from the real world that you don't always realise how limited your skills are. It was only when I went to France that I realised I was missing really basic vocabulary because in class we just talked about global warming and irrelevant crap.

All the best for your year abroad :h:

I was raised bilingually as my parents spoke both English and German fluently but I'm not actually German, just pure English lol XD
You were saying about language classes being far from reality, it depends what level you are at and what degree course you choose. :smile:

Reply 65
Original post by cathywalker
I was raised bilingually as my parents spoke both English and German fluently but I'm not actually German, just pure English lol XD
You were saying about language classes being far from reality, it depends what level you are at and what degree course you choose. :smile:

In my opinion, language classes are far from reality whatever level you're at. A classroom is an artifical environment - my uni classes are great at teaching us the theoretical knowlege of grammar etc but you need an everyday situation to really be able to improve and put your knowledge into practice. Hence the compulsary year abroad included in degree courses.
Original post by .Scout.
In my opinion, language classes are far from reality whatever level you're at. A classroom is an artifical environment - my uni classes are great at teaching us the theoretical knowlege of grammar etc but you need an everyday situation to really be able to improve and put your knowledge into practice. Hence the compulsary year abroad included in degree courses.

I agree! I think they should make the time spent aboard longer though as i think 1 year is too little time an that gets reduced to 6 months in 1 country and 6 in the other if you do 2 languages, which isn't that much time :/
Reply 67
Original post by .Scout.

İ don't think they are far from reality. All student go to school to learn grammar and other aspects of language. Language classes are tools to direct you. Surely, in language classes they teach you vocab, it is "book" in English, and in Spain for example they say "libro" is book ( not the "paper that was written information in" ).

Language is not maths. Language classes teach you to vocab, use of language and directs you, and it's your job to go home, watch TV in that language, listen to songs in that language, go to student forums of that country to improve it (examples).

Moreover, if you did A level language and got B/A/A* , and when you go this country you should be able to communicate. It is not like "omg reality is different". Some people fail GCSE English despite the fact that they are English.

I did A level Russian and Turkish ( I'm fluent in both and not bilingual ), they were not that hard for me, however the aspects which were examined were useful and related to real life and it is possible to survive with A level language in that society. If you gonna move there one day, it will take you a year (maybe less , maybe a bit more) to be fluent.

And definition of fluency for me is that:
1. You don't feel any difference if you watch a movie in your mother tongue or in that language.
2. People do not say "excuse me" or "sorry" every 2 mins when you speak in their language.
3. You don't say "excuse me" or "sorry" every 2 mins.
Reply 68
I speak Spanish and English fluently. I also have quite a high level of French which I'll be improving altogether with German from this september :biggrin:

I'll also take some wild modules of Japanese ^^ (Yeap, I like languages)
i spek inglish well. frnch ok but my gemrna is bade
Somewhere between 2 and 6. English is my mother tongue, but I lived in Germany for a couple of years as a kid and was reasonably fluent, although I don't have an adult's vocabulary. I dropped French after Y9 - not sure if I can count that. And I have family in Scandinavia, so I can read Danish slowly (also Swedish and Norwegian - they are very closely related to Danish, just written differently). But I can't hold a lengthy conversation in Danish, and my attempts at writing are not good at all. On the other hand, I can make myself understood in most situations.
Original post by lNurl
İ don't think they are far from reality. All student go to school to learn grammar and other aspects of language. Language classes are tools to direct you. Surely, in language classes they teach you vocab, it is "book" in English, and in Spain for example they say "libro" is book ( not the "paper that was written information in" ).

Language is not maths. Language classes teach you to vocab, use of language and directs you, and it's your job to go home, watch TV in that language, listen to songs in that language, go to student forums of that country to improve it (examples).

Moreover, if you did A level language and got B/A/A* , and when you go this country you should be able to communicate. It is not like "omg reality is different". Some people fail GCSE English despite the fact that they are English.

I did A level Russian and Turkish ( I'm fluent in both and not bilingual ), they were not that hard for me, however the aspects which were examined were useful and related to real life and it is possible to survive with A level language in that society. If you gonna move there one day, it will take you a year (maybe less , maybe a bit more) to be fluent.

And definition of fluency for me is that:
1. You don't feel any difference if you watch a movie in your mother tongue or in that language.
2. People do not say "excuse me" or "sorry" every 2 mins when you speak in their language.
3. You don't say "excuse me" or "sorry" every 2 mins.

While I totally agree with your point about independent learning, your definition of fluency seems pretty low. Being able to watch a movie and talk for more than a couple of minutes is nowhere near fluency in my book.

Someone on another thread suggested that fluency was where you can hold a conversation on any topic in the target language that you can in your native one, with no issues in terms of expression or comprehension.
English and French...would really like to learn another, probably Spanish
Reply 73
Original post by xmarilynx
While I totally agree with your point about independent learning, your definition of fluency seems pretty low. Being able to watch a movie and talk for more than a couple of minutes is nowhere near fluency in my book.

Someone on another thread suggested that fluency was where you can hold a conversation on any topic in the target language that you can in your native one, with no issues in terms of expression or comprehension.

I totally agree with you. I didn't mean holding conversation for 2 min. I agree that conversation should be at academical level and long.:smile:
English, Arabic, French and currently on Japanese!! :smile:

I'd like to learn Korean and German sometime as well :biggrin:
Reply 75
English, obviously. I used to be pretty good in French, German and Dutch. But I haven't been doing any work on those for years, so, for example, what was once amazing French has turned into "j'ai le tour d'eiffel... pantalons" :biggrin:

My real passion at the moment is Danish. I hope to go to Denmark for postgrad or a year abroad, and I've been self teaching all summer. I can now hold a conversation pretty well, and am currently re-reading my way through the Harry Potter series in Danish. It's the most challenging language I've ever tried to learn. Words like "rød" took me hours to get right, and I still have to think about it. Also the number system, for example 90 is halvfems. To work this out, you take half (halv) away from five (fem), to get 4.5 then you times it by 20 to get 90. :lolwut: It's so complicated the Danes even have a separate number system they use on cheques so that other Scandinavians can understand it.
English, Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi and some Arabic. I want to learn Arabic, Spanish and Mandarin fluently though, doubt i'll be able too
Reply 77
Just English, but I plan on picking up a second language through uni (evening classes) :smile:
I can barely speak English properly, God damn my Northern accent :lol: I do know a bit of French thanks to GCSE, but I don't think speaking about my day and not being able to have a conversation counts as fluent. I am learning a bit of Japanese thanks to all the Japanese movies I've been watching over the summer holidays :smile: not much but I'm getting there. I really want to learn 2 or 3 languages. Only so I can watch Japanese movies without the subtitles and if someone walks past ******** about me or a friend in a language I know I can catch them out and make them feel very awkward :lol:
Reply 79
Swedish is my first language... I moved to England when I was young so speak that fluently as well...

I have done 1 year of German and 5 years of Spanish at school and also understand Norwegian and Danish to a fairly decent level... more so Norwegian...because of the similarities between the Scandinavian languages!

So I would say I'm st least bilingual!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending