UK universities "prestige/reputation" rankings

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Yangh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
There have been about a hundred billion posts on TSR of students arguing about which university has a better reputation than whcih and so i would like to create a thread which gives future students a "rough" idea of what UK universities reputation is like. I would like to stress that prestige of course isn't everything when choosing a university and at the end of the day, you succeed in the university which you like the most.

Although it really does depend on area, we are sticking with "domestic" reputation. Here is a rough list:

Tier 1
Oxford and Cambridge

Tier 2
Imperial College, LSE

Tier 3
UCL, Warwick ,Durham

Tier 4
Edinburgh, Bristol, Kings, Bath, St. Andrews, Manchester

Tier 5
Exeter, Lancaster, Southampton, Newcastle, Loughborough, Nottingham, Birmingham, Cardiff, Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Leicester

Tier 6
Surrey, UEA, Sussex, Liverpool, Kent, Reading, Aston, Royal Holloway, Queen's Belfast

Feel free to comment on the list and i will edit it in case anyone feels that a certain uni should be higher/lower
Howbeit
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hereeee we go again! :banana2:

They should just compile a university league table megathread with all the different opinions in one handy, easy-to-see sticky from the 11 years of opinions we've had
ILIGAN
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd group those universities in Tier 3 and Tier 4 together, unless we're talking about placement success rates in banking and Finance where Warwick and UCL would make a little distinction over the others in the list. But, by and large, I don't see any difference between Warwick/Durham and Bristol/Edinburgh/St.A,etc..
spongle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Finally, let's get this sorted.

Name:  29e[1].jpg
Views: 3031
Size:  91.9 KB
TheDustyKid
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
King's in Tier 4? You're having a laaarf.
bmqib
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
put kcl/bristol with durham and ucl with lse
IrrationalNumber
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Yangh)
I very much enjoyed reading your list. I have never seen a similar concept before, so I think this is an excellent idea for a thread! However, I do slightly disagree with your order. I have reranked them as I see it.

Tier 1
Cambridge, Hull, Bath, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Aston

Tier 2
Exeter, Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Kings, Kent, Imperial College

Tier 3
LSE, Liverpool, Queen's Belfast, Loughborough, Lancaster, Leeds, Leicester

Tier 4
Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham,

Tier 5
St. Andrews, Southampton, Surrey, Sheffield, Sussex, Reading, Royal Holloway

Tier 6
UEA, UCL, Warwick

Tier 7
Oxford

I hope you will see that my ranking uses a far superior method of ranking the universities than yours and that you will agree that both rankings are about as useful as each other.
Roy064
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can't disagree with the top 3 tiers, although distinguishing between Kings, Birmingham, Nottingham, St. Andrews, Bath, Edinburgh etc becomes a tad hazy and that's where the problems and negative feedback will come in from others.
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I disagree. No York? I don't think York is a prestigious university myself, but then again neither are Bath, Bristol or Manchester, and a few others on there also. There are also some very prestigious institutions that are very specific, like prestigious arts and music colleges, for instance.

I guess you've gone for a 'general prestige' kind of approach, but in doing so you would have to take out LSE and Imperial, which are fairly specific institutions themselves.

It'd be easier and more accurate to compile a list of prestigious and non prestigious universities rather than just ranking the ones you believe are prestigious.

There are few 'prestigious' universities in the United Kingdom. However there are quite a few that are not prestigious as a whole but have prestigious departments. For a university to be truly prestigious, no matter what subject a graduate takes, it should be ranked as prestigious.

For example, a Human Sciences graduate from Oxford, or a Sociology, Psychology and Politics graduate from Cambridge would be seen as having done a prestigious course, yes?

A Sociology graduate from Warwick or a Psychology graduate from Bristol or a Politics graduate from Manchester? No.

Imperial and LSE are prestigious in their respective fields, Oxford and Cambridge are prestigious all-rounders. The rest - no. I'm afraid not.
bmqib
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ilickbatteries)
I disagree. No York? I don't think York is a prestigious university myself, but then again neither are Bath, Bristol or Manchester, and a few others on there also. There are also some very prestigious institutions that are very specific, like prestigious arts and music colleges, for instance.

I guess you've gone for a 'general prestige' kind of approach, but in doing so you would have to take out LSE and Imperial, which are fairly specific institutions themselves.

It'd be easier and more accurate to compile a list of prestigious and non prestigious universities rather than just ranking the ones you believe are prestigious.

There are few 'prestigious' universities in the United Kingdom. However there are quite a few that are not prestigious as a whole but have prestigious departments. For a university to be truly prestigious, no matter what subject a graduate takes, it should be ranked as prestigious.

For example, a Human Sciences graduate from Oxford, or a Sociology, Psychology and Politics graduate from Cambridge would be seen as having done a prestigious course, yes?

A Sociology graduate from Warwick or a Psychology graduate from Bristol or a Politics graduate from Manchester? No.

Imperial and LSE are prestigious in their respective fields, Oxford and Cambridge are prestigious all-rounders. The rest - no. I'm afraid not.
Do you mean new york?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Yangh)
There have been about a hundred billion posts on TSR of students arguing about which university has a better reputation than whcih ...
Indeed.
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bmqib)
Do you mean new york?
No, why would I mean that?

I mean the University of York, one of the best new universities in the United Kingdom and indeed the World.
Roy064
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I mean the University of York, one of the best new universities in the United Kingdom and indeed the World.
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Roy064)

Roy064
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Tilly87
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OP this attempting to separate universities is never going to work. Overall prestige doesn't count for much if you can do a fantastic and highly respected course at a 'not so prestigious' university, or if you plump for something weird just to go to one of the 'better' universities. All of those universities are in the top 20 or thereabouts and all are particularly good for different reasons. You would not receive a bad education going to them and unless you have sampled them all you are in no position to literally put them in boxes!
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Roy064
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's a meme?
I know what a meme is, fear not
Is it pronounced me-me?
I am trolling you by using the wrong ones
I'm confused. I was just posting pictures of black men.
Your face when
longwei.k
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Please do not get mad at me. But I don't regard York as a best university in the world . . .

I have to say that York is generally a good university but absolutely not a best one. One best university must have at lease more than 3 'top of the pyramid' courses. For example, UCL is so famous for its Economics, Architecture, Medicine, Law. And Warwick is famous for its Economics, Politics, Media, Business studies, Mathematics and so on. But please forgive my ignorance, when I think of York, not may top courses come up in my mind.

But York is pretty good, there is no doubt.

No offense to you, just my opinion.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (60)
4.6%
Uncertainty around my education (200)
15.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (143)
10.96%
Lack of purpose or motivation (185)
14.18%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (59)
4.52%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (73)
5.59%
Loneliness (116)
8.89%
Financial worries (45)
3.45%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (60)
4.6%
Exposure to negative news/social media (61)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (69)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (114)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (120)
9.2%

Watched Threads