Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i went to give blood today.

3rd time.

pretty routine.

or so i thought...

not really thinking, i got the tube (very hot place). you get free biscuits when you donate blood, you know. i had eaten a few packets. plus some chewing gum. and some lemon juice. that mix, combined with the heat, lack of blood and the really bumpy victoria line started to make me feel sick.

'hm', i thought 'i hope i dont faint or something'...

....bang. blackout. i had my eyes closed and i was thinking; my leg really hurts but i cant move it - must be trapped under something... i tried to open my eyes, but it was hopeless, i was too dizzy. i tried again, and eventually opened them. 'wait a minute' i thought, 'why the hell am i on the floor?' - ! ah it all clicked 'i mustve blacked out; and my leg is probably trapped under me! well, if i just get up...' ....bang.

blackout two.

opening my eyes again 'uh *******s its happened again'. got up AGAIN, and quickly made it over to a seat i was eyeing before, then quickly got off at the next station where i sat on the platform, letting a good few trains go past before i continued on to seven sisters.

hm that was quite an interesting experience.

firstly because i'd never blacked out before and secondly because i thought SOMEBODY would help me.. but no one did! i hope none of them ****ers get any of my blood!

(yes i am going to donate blood again; and you should too, if you dont already)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you had a fun time!

I got quite dizzy after my second donation, but I was still at the tea-and-biscuits stage so the nurses noticed and made me lie down before I fell down!

I echo the call for everyone to give blood if they can!

ReputationRep:
    ...and nobody helped you!? that sucks. Although its understandable if you were sharing the train with male suited City types (no offence to anyone who is).

I'm going to to give blood in two weeks for the first time- as soon as I turn 18. A bit worried though- not because I'm scared of needles (well a bit) but the last time I went with someone who was giving blood they couldn't find their veins!! Does this happen often?

ReputationRep:
    Are you alright??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    ...and nobody helped you!? that sucks. Although its understandable if you were sharing the train with male suited City types (no offence to anyone who is).

I'm going to to give blood in two weeks for the first time- as soon as I turn 18. A bit worried though- not because I'm scared of needles (well a bit) but the last time I went with someone who was giving blood they couldn't find their veins!! Does this happen often?
    no it was a victoria line train going north (already past kings cross). there were normal people on it (no City types). there was even some guy across the carriage from me; he just kept reading his paper.

people kept looking at me like i was on drugs or drunk or something.

and i lost my 'be nice to me, ive given blood' sticker

hm cant find veins? well that hasnt happened to me; they just put that pump thing on your arm and the veins usually come up.

good luck when you go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Are you alright??
    haha hi

yeah im fine now! thought it would be better to postpone driving lesson though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Are you alright??
    I hope you feel better now. Bystanders behaviour - all those psychology theories must be right. I've been somehow convinced to give blood this saturday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    no it was a victoria line train going north (already past kings cross). there were normal people on it (no City types). there was even some guy across the carriage from me; he just kept reading his paper.

people kept looking at me like i was on drugs or drunk or something.

and i lost my 'be nice to me, ive given blood' sticker

hm cant find veins? well that hasnt happened to me; they just put that pump thing on your arm and the veins usually come up.

good luck when you go!
    Thanks.

Hmmm.. you should have made a big fuss over it to make them feel guilty- can't believe nobody stopped to help..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Thanks.

Hmmm.. you should have made a big fuss over it to make them feel guilty- can't believe nobody stopped to help..
    at that time i really couldnt care less! i couldnt walk in a straight line and felt really nauseous.

i do wonder what it looked like though; me just dropping down from standing. quite funny i guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I hope you feel better now. Bystanders behaviour - all those psychology theories must be right. I've been somehow convinced to give blood this saturday.
    hi - thanks.

yeah, people just dont want to get involved.. it sucks!

good luck for saturday! take it easy and eat and drink lots before you go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    haha hi

yeah im fine now! thought it would be better to postpone driving lesson though!
    Relief.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.