franklymydear
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi So, I'm starting an Art Foundation course next week, but I'm still a little unsure.. not about the cost or anything but whether I should even be doing it.

In short, I decided to take a gap year to put off going to uni because I don't know what to do. Art and English are the big two for me, they're the only two subjects I'm interested in/good at, but I could never decide between the two. This might help me decide I want to do art, if not I'll just apply for English Lit.

But is it weird do the foundation if I decide not to do art afterwards? Do people ever do that (just do the course for fun, then go on to study something completely different at uni)? I know there's a whole term spent making a portfolio for applying to art degrees :/
sliceofcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I met my friend on a Graphic Design BTEC course. I came out of it wanting to study the History of Art which isn't all that close to graphics, as you can imagine. A classmate of mine is going on to study Film and TV Production so yes, people do study something and then their next step can be different. My friend was still undecided so she's now on a foundation course. She adores it and said it's everything she expected art school to be when we first started but it is tough. I don't know if it's going to help her decide what she wants to do, I don't think she does either. My bet would be on her going on to study Illustration at university and hoping she knows exactly what direction to head in from there.

Fingers crossed that it will help you decide but it will not be the be all and end all for you if you still don't know what to do. By the time you start researching and applying to universities why not look at joint honours in art and english? I'm sure you'll be able to find them somewhere; I know from when I was doing my research that many universities in Scotland definitely do allow joint honours in almost whatever courses you like (though somewhat related, I think). I'm sure there are some in England that will let you combine the two. Then if you decide in university then you might be able to just swap to a single honours and concentrate on that.

Put it this way, it will never be a loss if you decide to move on to English after this foundation course. You'll learn to look at things differently, it will develop your artistic abilities, massively improve your observation and creativity skills and you could always return to art later on if you decide that you do want to take the art route.
Soares
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
simply yes
Melissajsb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Art foundation is the best thing did so glad I did it! Even though I've got pay higher fees now, I'm much more aware of different styles and I actually surprised myself at how well I could do things I hadn't tried before! I feel like I have loads more skills rather than just painting like I did at a-levels.
I don't think you can go wrong with a foundation year it's great fun!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ani8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Before I did my Art foundation course, I was in the same position as you as whether to study Art or English. I was torn between doing an academic or practical degree.. as well as between these two interests.

I started my foundation in September 2011 and also had a deferred English place at Liverpool uni for 2012 entry. However, I decided early on not to take it up and instead apply for art courses. An Art foundation year is incredibly worth your while whether you decide to carry on art afterwards or not. A lot of my friends on the course did not even apply for further education afterwards, but have an extra qualification in the bag for future employment.

I think the main advantage of an art foundation (other than prepping for a uni course) is that it gives you a year out of the strict regime of school. You have the space, time and guidance to realise the kind of work you want to create, and what you want to do in the future. Whether or not this ends up being art related.

During my foundation, I also discovered the study of Art History in more depth, and I am now starting a 50/50: Art practice/history and theory of art BA degree in a couple of weeks. So I managed to find a degree that included an academic and practical side, which for me at least, seemed the perfect solution!

Above all, although there is a lot of work, art foundation is a hell of a lot of fun. I've met some amazing people who I'm pretty sure I will be friends with for a very long time and had the chance to experiment a lot without the pressure of major exams and strict guidelines. So even if you don't go on to study art (but you may well be persuaded to do so ) it is a great way to spend a gap year.

I would recommend an art foundation unreservedly.
JamesDM
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
100% do an art foundation. Had such a good time.
shannonmeow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Definitely do the art foundation!! I wasnt too sure at first either but it was the best choice I made.
You have a better chance of getting into an art/design course at uni after doing a foundation as you will leave with a really strong portfolio. A lot of uni's actually require that you do an art foundation nowadays.

Also it will give you a much better idea of what you want to do at uni, or whether or not you actually want to study art at all! I do know someone who decided after doing an art foundation that art wasn't for them and they have decided to go into science instead, no one found that weird what so ever!

I'm really happy I did my art foundation because I got soooo many new skills & I'm soo much more confident in my work than I was in A level now.

DO IT!!
franklymydear
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks everyone! Totally reassured. The first week's been great.

I'm thinking of doing English/Art History joint honours at uni now, although I may be convinced otherwise, we'll have to wait and see.. Haha if only there was some sort of combined English and practical art degree!
ani8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
just a word of warning... there are a couple of english/art degrees out there but I was advised against them by pretty much everyone I spoke to, as apparently you don't end up getting enough of, and the right quality of, each subject as the format is so different. Look into Art/Art history degrees though.. as the art history incorporates a lot of reading!
glad you're enjoying your art foundation so far! you wont regret it
RainReader
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by franklymydear)
Thanks everyone! Totally reassured. The first week's been great.

I'm thinking of doing English/Art History joint honours at uni now, although I may be convinced otherwise, we'll have to wait and see.. Haha if only there was some sort of combined English and practical art degree!
There are Art and English degrees, and also some art and creative writing degrees. They are listed on UCAS.
slowcheetah
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm so glad there's someone else who was stuck between doing an academic and arty subject. Thank you for this post, it's helped me decide to do an art foundation and see where to go from there (I also want to do Anthropology which is completely unrelated) :P
Starsong
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd do a foundation just for fun I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!
Soares
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its free bfore youre 19 isnt it? may aswell unless you have other plans
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Soares)
its free bfore youre 19 isnt it? may aswell unless you have other plans
Yes, it is. You don't qualify for a student loan, though, so most people do it at their local college and live at home to save money.
sofieke15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow...I'm in exact same position right now...planning on doing a foundation next year. I love both my english and art(I'm pretty academic,but also am very passionate about art)...but worried that maybe I'd waste a year prolonging the decision process,or that I was just trying to put it off. Thanks for this thread it was really reassuring!
angelafusco
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think an art foundation is really good if you're not sure what line of art you want to pursue yet and it's good for experience but you don't necessarily need one I got an unconditional offer from Nottingham Trent on the BA Fashion Design course and got all my offers this year as well its only necessary for unis such as Westminster and CSM but I advise any fashion students applying there that they choose LCF instead!

RainReader
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sofieke15)
wow...I'm in exact same position right now...planning on doing a foundation next year. I love both my english and art(I'm pretty academic,but also am very passionate about art)...but worried that maybe I'd waste a year prolonging the decision process,or that I was just trying to put it off. Thanks for this thread it was really reassuring!
What have you decided to do now, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm still pretty stuck, so I think I'm going to do a foundation and then see how I feel in a year's time. The problem is, I would then have done a year without any English if I apply to joint degrees afterwards...
Liv Allison
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by angelafusco)
I think an art foundation is really good if you're not sure what line of art you want to pursue yet and it's good for experience but you don't necessarily need one I got an unconditional offer from Nottingham Trent on the BA Fashion Design course and got all my offers this year as well its only necessary for unis such as Westminster and CSM but I advise any fashion students applying there that they choose LCF instead!

Hi, I know this is 7 years too late and theres probably a low chance that you are still on the student room but- I'm interested in doing Fashion Design / Fashion Design with marketing / Fashion marketing (not sure whether I want practical or theory or both yet!) and am thinking of doing a foundation year at UAL (hopefully CSM) or UCA. I'm guessing you didn't do a foundation year and went straight to Nottingham Trent or one of your other options, how did you find it going straight into a foundation course? And i guess how was your whole experience of Uni + careers?
University of the Arts London Student Reps
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Liv Allison)
Hi, I know this is 7 years too late and theres probably a low chance that you are still on the student room but- I'm interested in doing Fashion Design / Fashion Design with marketing / Fashion marketing (not sure whether I want practical or theory or both yet!) and am thinking of doing a foundation year at UAL (hopefully CSM) or UCA. I'm guessing you didn't do a foundation year and went straight to Nottingham Trent or one of your other options, how did you find it going straight into a foundation course? And i guess how was your whole experience of Uni + careers?
Hey Liv Allison,

I hope you're well.

Great to see you're interested in coming to study at the University of the Arts London for your foundation and/or degree.

I studied my foundation at CSM last year so please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Kindest,

Tegan
UAL Student Rep
Liv Allison
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps)
Hey Liv Allison,

I hope you're well.

Great to see you're interested in coming to study at the University of the Arts London for your foundation and/or degree.

I studied my foundation at CSM last year so please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Kindest,

Tegan
UAL Student Rep
Hi Tegan,
Thanks for getting in touch! I was wondering what its like doing a foundation year at CSM? My teachers at school don't really push towards CSM, they're pushing towards Hastings foundation year really, however I think it would be so amazing to do a foundation year at CSM especially if i want to do Fashion. I want to learn a wide range of skills such as drawing and graphics and feel like this would be a great course for me to do. What was the whole year like- what things did you study each week and how fast paced was it? Was there too much pressure and not enough time do complete things or was it the perfect amount? Did you get a lot of help from teachers or was it more individual work?
Also in terms of the application process, what did you include in your personal statement and portfolio? I'm starting to create my personal portfolio this summer where I show a wider ranger of work rather than my 2 arts A levels (textiles & photography). Was there an interview process?
Sorry if that was a lot to answer but I'm not sure who else to ask!
Thanks so much,
Liv
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads