The Student Room Group

Security tag

:mad: I bought an item of clothing today and unbeknown to me she forget to take the security tag off because she was on the phone. I didn't notice and it didn't set the alarm off in any of the shops i went in. I was going to wear this item tomorrow, I have the receipt and everything but i have no way of going back to the shop to get them to take it off, so does anyone have any idea how i may be able to get the tag off without ruining the material? Any advice would be much appreciated...so cross with with shop assistant :mad:

Scroll to see replies

can u go to a different branch of the store?
Reply 2
indiechick2kuk
can u go to a different branch of the store?

Well I might be able to if i do a bit of a diversion. I also don't know how they'll react, I don't want someone to be really offish, it wasn't my fault! I just cross because i was going to wear it, it was bought specifically for tomorrow.
that happened to me as well once, i was a bit worried they would think im a shoplifter. But in the end the sales assistant was really apologetic and if youve got a reciept they cant really say too much.
Reply 4
it happened to my friend with a pair of underpants in topshop! How come you didn't realise when you walked out of the store tho?
Reply 5
sophieliz
it happened to my friend with a pair of underpants in topshop! How come you didn't realise when you walked out of the store tho?

None of the alarms went off in that shop or any other shop i went in!
Reply 6
I work in Woolworths, I see this all the time. As long as you have your reciept the store is obliged to remove the security tag.
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago and it didn't set off any alarms either. Maybe the shop uses duff ones on the cheap as a deterrent to shoplifters.
Reply 8
Tarts_n_Vicars
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago and it didn't set off any alarms either. Maybe the shop uses duff ones on the cheap as a deterrent to shoplifters.

I don't understand why it had it, it wasn't some sort of designer and although not exactly cheap cheap it was only about £60.
Reply 9
It's happened to me before, and I've done it to customers myself. It's an easy mistake to make, but I can understand why you're annoyed. I bought some jeans once and although I didn't set off the alarm in the shop I bought them from, I did set it off in Sainsbury's and some shoe shop! Lovely.

Anyway, you won't be able to get it off on your own unless you have the thingy they use at the store to do so, or unless you're okay with a nice big rip in the item! You're going to have to take it into a branch of the store, and make sure you take your receipt because they'll probably ask to see it, to make sure you have actually bought it.

Its possible that you didn't set off any alarms because the tag doesn't actually do anything. Sometimes shops have tags that aren't linked to any system to deter thieves without having expensive electricals and things like that to install. And some tags just have dye in them that will permanently stain the clothes if you try to pull them off :smile:
Reply 10
different?
I don't understand why it had it, it wasn't some sort of designer and although not exactly cheap cheap it was only about £60.

To deter people from stealing £60 worth of goods!
Reply 11
amie
And some tags just have dye in them that will permanently stain the clothes if you try to pull them off :smile:

REALLY?!
amie
It's happened to me before, and I've done it to customers myself. It's an easy mistake to make, but I can understand why you're annoyed. I bought some jeans once and although I didn't set off the alarm in the shop I bought them from, I did set it off in Sainsbury's and some shoe shop! Lovely.

Anyway, you won't be able to get it off on your own unless you have the thingy they use at the store to do so, or unless you're okay with a nice big rip in the item! You're going to have to take it into a branch of the store, and make sure you take your receipt because they'll probably ask to see it, to make sure you have actually bought it.

Its possible that you didn't set off any alarms because the tag doesn't actually do anything. Sometimes shops have tags that aren't linked to any system to deter thieves without having expensive electricals and things like that to install. And some tags just have dye in them that will permanently stain the clothes if you try to pull them off :smile:
WHAT???!!!! :eek:
Yeah but you can usually see it. They're like little red pods stuck on the front and if you try and pull them off the inky stuff inside spews out onto the clothes.

PS: To the other poster who said the stuff was only £60, the top I bought was about £10 and it was from a "lower end" chain store where the most expensive thing was probably £30 if that!
Depends what sort of tag it is...but i know in my shop (well where I work) the 'device' we use to take them off is just a magnet. Thus you place the base of the tag over the magnet and lift off the top of the tag = now separated
Reply 15
Bubble Fairy
Depends what sort of tag it is...but i know in my shop (well where I work) the 'device' we use to take them off is just a magnet. Thus you place the base of the tag over the magnet and lift off the top of the tag = now separated

It has to be a fairly strong magnet though, probably not the thing most people have lying around the house!

And yeah, some of them have dye in but like TnV said, you can usually see the dye. We used to have them where I work and if you dropped them on the floor too hard, the dye (which was bright blue and bright yellow) would go everywhere! I ended up with a nice splodge of it on my black boots, lovely :frown:
Reply 16
This once happened to me, I gave it to my dad and he somehow managed to get it off without ruining the top so it must be possible.
I'd advise against trying to get it off yourself as it might rip the clothes, or leave ink on the clothes (some security tages have liquid inside incase someone tries to take the tag off)

Just take the top, and your receipt back to the shop and they should take it off no hastle :smile: I'd be inclined to scout out someone who looks quite senior as they are less likely to disagree with you, and be extra nice :smile:

Be brave :smile:
o that happened to me with a bag. i just pulled the tag off but it made a bit of a big hole in it. so i dont reccomend that! i think magnets can get them off
You can get them off yourself with a fairly strong magnet. Hold the magnet to the base of the tag and turn the tag anti-clockwise until it comes off.

Quick Reply

Latest