I don't drink milk. Is this a problem? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Plasticine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm 16 (if that matters at all) and I've never liked milk. It smells and tastes horrible and being near it makes me feel sick. I'm not intolerant to milk or dairy products, I just don't like milk. I like things like cheese and yoghurt which contain milk, but I don't like drinking milk as milk, whether that be on its own, a milkshake, milk in tea, etc.

I've read various things on the internet in support of drinking milk, but just as many as to why people shouldn't drink milk. Really, is it a problem I don't drink milk? I've tried every 'variety', so it's not like I haven't tried semi-skimmed and everything else.
concubine
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's no more of a problem than not consuming any other nutritionally beneficial product. You don't worry about not eating loads of broccoli and kale (both of which are awesome), do you?
_Shmiley
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have the same problem, I hate milk. It makes me feel so sick if I drink it, I just eat cheese and yoghurt to make up for it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
n0c0ntr0l
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Drink your milk Edward.

(I hope some of you get this reference)
Chillywilly93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i dont even think milk is intended for humans to consume, not cows milk anyway
Delphinus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Plasticine)
I'm 16 (if that matters at all) and I've never liked milk. It smells and tastes horrible and being near it makes me feel sick. I'm not intolerant to milk or dairy products, I just don't like milk. I like things like cheese and yoghurt which contain milk, but I don't like drinking milk as milk, whether that be on its own, a milkshake, milk in tea, etc.

I've read various things on the internet in support of drinking milk, but just as many as to why people shouldn't drink milk. Really, is it a problem I don't drink milk? I've tried every 'variety', so it's not like I haven't tried semi-skimmed and everything else.
It's not going to harm you at all. Yes it's beneficial for those who drink it in sensible amounts but that doesn't mean you're negatively effected by not having it.

Have you tried soya milk? Which isn't really milk but tastes different?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't drink wine. It's a problem to some people but not to me.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope, not a problem. Especially as you're eating other dairy which will give you the same nutrients as milk would anyway.
carrotstick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I haven't drank milk since I was forced to by the teachers in primary school. But i'm scared i'll get osteoporosis now, (apparently happens to 1/3 people) so iv started drinking hazelnut and almond milk. Delicious
katehlouise
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't drink milk either - it's revolting xD
I refused milk at 6 months old, and whilst I have had it since, I've only had it with cereal and in milkshakes when I was younger. Can't do either of those now, it's horrible.

But yeah, whilst milk can be beneficial for you, it's not the end of the world if you don't have it. You can get the calcium, protein etc in plenty of other foods.

I want to try almond milk or something like that, but I'm worried it just tastes like milk xD
Architecture-er
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you weren't supplementing calcium from other sources then your limbs would fall off, but you seem to be compensating so you're fine?
rhianna610
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, it's fine, i don't drink it either. As long as you get other food products that have Calcium etc-and you said you eat other dairy so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Adults shouldn't really drink milk often anyway, especially whole milk.
blahblahblah1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
After reading that the word 'milk' has started to look and sound incredibly weird and annoying.
rcummins1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you don't drink milk, you WILL die.

Eventually.
bhogs001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ive been allergic to cows milk etc for ages so i just drink rice milk.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rcummins1)
If you don't drink milk, you WILL die.

Eventually.
I find that's a problem even if you do drink milk

In all seriousness, vegans don't drink milk and they can live perfectly healthy lives (that's not to say that all vegan diets are healthy - let's not forget that chips, crisps and most dark chocolates are all vegan!)
A.J10
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
Drink your milk Edward.

(I hope some of you get this reference)
Beansprout

(Original post by mangoh)
Didn't get it.

Explain.
It's a reference to fullmetal alchemist.

Seriously op, it's not a problem. The ability to digest milk as an adult is a relatively recent thing anyway. Just get your calcium fix elsewhere, lactose intolerant people do.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i, because I'm probably at work.
melevin9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol im a milkman yet I dont drink milk myself anymore :P It tastes too watered down nowadays and rather just stick to water
crazyoctopus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Drinking milk is pretty essential, up until the age of 30ish when you can no longer store calcium. If you don't drink milk and your calcium is low, your body will eventually use calcium stored in your bones so your muscles can move, which isn't supposed to happen until you get to a certain age. If you have a very healthy diet except the lack of milk, though, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
mr j man
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Harvard agrees with you:

Read this http://www.care2.com/greenliving/har...lthy-diet.html

Also a lot of countries like China or Japan don't have dairy.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (100)
33.78%
No I don't (137)
46.28%
I work during the holidays (59)
19.93%

Watched Threads