Karate or Kickboxing ? Watch

Ba88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
I need to increase my paraspinal muscles so I'm trying to choose a sport. Right now I'm interested in Karate and Kickboxing. Do you think these are appropriate ? Which one would you say is best ?
Thanks in advance
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ba88)
Hi,
I need to increase my paraspinal muscles so I'm trying to choose a sport. Right now I'm interested in Karate and Kickboxing. Do you think these are appropriate ? Which one would you say is best ?
Thanks in advance
Kickboxing.

I have done them both and kickboxing is a lot better if you really wanna improve your fitness and learn how to fight. Karate is overhyped flashy bull which is corrupted with mcdojos some clubs have 13 year old blackbelts!! kickboxing is less so. I have been doing martial arts for 11 years and have experienced many different martial arts (kickboxing, judo, karate, ju jitsu, mma) and karate is the worse, most clubs don't even spar!!!! How can you learn to fight without even practicing it!! Just play it safe and go with kickboxing
Moonshadeblaise
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by the mezzil)

Kickboxing.

I have done them both and kickboxing is a lot better if you really wanna improve your fitness and learn how to fight. Karate is overhyped flashy bull which is corrupted with mcdojos some clubs have 13 year old blackbelts!! kickboxing is less so. I have been doing martial arts for 11 years and have experienced many different martial arts (kickboxing, judo, karate, ju jitsu, mma) and karate is the worse, most clubs don't even spar!!!! How can you learn to fight without even practicing it!! Just play it safe and go with kickboxing

I pretty much agree with this, with many years experience in kickboxing, and having tried out other disciplines. However, i do enjoy the grappling and groundwork aspect of mma, as you can work extremely hard and exert a lot of energy against your opponent but in general, it's totally pain free when not incorporating strikes.
Davsters
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go to your local clubs and see which one is best rather than making your decision based on style alone.
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

I'm wondering the same - I've been doing Karate for three years, but I am torn between the whole lifestyle thing of Karate and actually learning to fight, which I think will happen a lot quicker with kickboxing. It's a personal choice, but I'm thinking of starting kickboxing.

If you're at university it ought to be easy and cheap to try both and see.
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Kickboxing.

with karate it depends what type caz there's many in others you spar with bare fists
a10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Moonshadeblaise)
I pretty much agree with this, with many years experience in kickboxing, and having tried out other disciplines. However, i do enjoy the grappling and groundwork aspect of mma, as you can work extremely hard and exert a lot of energy against your opponent but in general, it's totally pain free when not incorporating strikes.
are you kidding me i do judo and i get hurt sometimes and even wake up very very sore the next day like somebodys hit me in the ribs with a baseball bat haha
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by a10)
are you kidding me i do judo and i get hurt sometimes and even wake up very very sore the next day like somebodys hit me in the ribs with a baseball bat haha
I hate it when in judo somebody sweeps you really hard and catches their ankle on your shin, sooooo painful!
Zenomorph
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is this for recreation or real fighting skills ?
a10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hate it when in judo somebody sweeps you really hard and catches their ankle on your shin, sooooo painful!
Oh a huge power slam on the ground full speed :/ haha i love it though the funny thing is wen u start you get your ass kicked so bad but over time you get a lot better if you train hard and eventually you will be the one kicking some ass and avoiding getting thrown or choked etc
MovieMoments
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Kickboxing sounds cooler :-) Lol
bishbash72
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A million times kickboxing.
Ba88
Rep:
?
I think I'll try them both and decide afterwards. Thanks you guys
WalkerPassingby
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ba88)
Hi,
Thanks in advance
Can I ask why specifically paraspinal muscles?
If you're looking at getting stronger then you'd probably be better off doing strength training, not to say they don't help but it's more about endurance more often than not.

Between the two kickboxing will probably prove more useful
But, it all depends on how good your teacher is, and how big the groups are. Consider this above all.
User570431
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
Kickboxing! You don't have time to do fancy hand work in a real life fight anyway.
Ba88
Rep:
?
(Original post by WalkerPassingby)
Can I ask why specifically paraspinal muscles?
If you're looking at getting stronger then you'd probably be better off doing strength training, not to say they don't help but it's more about endurance more often than not.

Between the two kickboxing will probably prove more useful
But, it all depends on how good your teacher is, and how big the groups are. Consider this above all.
I have scoliosis, so the increase of paraspinal muscles could stop it from getting worse. I wouldn't mind getting stronger though
sheepzibaa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
can i just say that with karate it will all depend on the club and style! my club is ace, we regularly fight, and yes we have a couple of 13yr old black belts who have been training since they were 5 or 6! and are as good as the older black belts! we do kata, sparring, basics, set and creative ippon, knife work, bag work and pin down, which is part of the black belt grading! we dont enter competitions and are a smallish club that doesnt boast about a billion dan grades!
BUT some "Black belt accadamy" type places will not be traditional, and will just train for competitions, other clubs will be too traditional and wont do anything outside of the syllabus! i cant say much about kickboxing, so you should have a look at that yourself, but it depends what your into, if you want variety a really good karate club will give you that, and could be great socially! but im not sure kickboxing lessons are that varied, (im not ****ging it off) kickboxers, what do you do other than kick pads and each other and do fitness stuff? really i have know idea and am interested, NOT trying to start an argument!
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do kickboxing as part of a routine at the gym and I find it pretty good. I've been doing it for more than a year and it's the same routine every week except my Personal Trainer extends it every so often. Now each round I do takes about ten minutes. By the end I'm pretty knackered but I always feel great and it's spurred me on to try separate classes as well. It's made me fitter and more agile all over.

I can't say if it's best for that specific muscle but generally I think it's great.
chi sua
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try both and see which one you enjoy more, if you enjoy one more than the other the opinions of people on the internet shouldn't matter.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its up to you. If you like more traditional martial art, so I recommend you Karate. But if you like more competition in martial art, so I recommend you Kickboxing. Of course, both Karate and Kickboxing offer competitions. But there is something which you should know. When Karate came to America in 70s, it was very interesting for Americans, but it was too dangerous to apply in fights. So Karate was changed for competitions which was called Sport Karate for now. And so it was more and more to Boxing with kicks from Karate (and other Martial Arts). And then it was called Kickboxing one day.

Karate was thought to defend yourself and that is still the purpose today. Compared to Karate, Kickboxing is thought for competitions. But even if you want not take part in competitions, it is the best Martial Art to improve your fitness. Better than Karate in my opinion. I hope I was able to help you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (353)
46.45%
No (81)
10.66%
I'm not old enough (326)
42.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed