kathleenjames06
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was thinking of getting a tablet for note taking and homework for school since my laptop is kind of heavy to carry around for a while. I mean if Im going tothe library to study its fine but other wise its akward and big. I heard the ipad is not good for college students but I would love if there was one that would be the same size and fitted into ipad cases.
>Untitled<
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Seriously, a tablet, is a tablet, it does not substitute a laptop. It gets annoying to type on after a while :yep:
Julialala
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A friend of mine's got the ASUS T201 and she really likes it, although I think the T300 is a bit cheaper.
Silvu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm taking an iPad for the exact same reason but with a wireless Bluetooth keyboard.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Desire HD
Podface
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
samsung galaxy note 10.1... read some reviews

the note taking function is great with the S-pen
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kathleenjames06)
I was thinking of getting a tablet for note taking and homework for school since my laptop is kind of heavy to carry around for a while. I mean if Im going tothe library to study its fine but other wise its akward and big. I heard the ipad is not good for college students but I would love if there was one that would be the same size and fitted into ipad cases.
HP touchpad, I got it for £120 and it matches the iPad 2 in specs. Add a bluetooth keyboard and it's £150 for a solid Android ICS machine

That said, I still agree with this post below, tablets are not great for work
(Original post by >Untitled<)
Seriously, a tablet, is a tablet, it does not substitute a laptop. It gets annoying to type on after a while :yep:
mrshinyshoes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Since when was a tablet needed in college? Most people had a pen and paper? We thought it was over the top when someone brought a macbook into chemistry, by all means get a tablet but please don't use it in lessons aha
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The iPad is excellent for note taking

Not for typing but yes for note taking
Hooj
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Note taking..whatever happened to pen and toilet paper? You don't need a flipping tablet they are all rubbish, overpriced and still have no decent games out for them.
coopsyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mrshinyshoes)
Since when was a tablet needed in college? Most people had a pen and paper? We thought it was over the top when someone brought a macbook into chemistry, by all means get a tablet but please don't use it in lessons aha
Depends what you're doing at college tbf, I did 2 years of A levels and then went on and did a year at a Agricultural college studying animal care, everyone used laptops, because the course was 100% assignments, it was just easier to put everything straight on to your laptop.
Hooj
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by coopsyy)
Depends what you're doing at college tbf, I did 2 years of A levels and then went on and did a year at a Agricultural college studying animal care, everyone used laptops, because the course was 100% assignments, it was just easier to put everything straight on to your laptop.
But you'll find that the lecturer won't slow down for some fool tapping words onto his/ her tablet...pointless! Pen and note pad cus mit's all got to be written up properly at some point anyways.
VENIVIDIVICI
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Junaid96)
HP touchpad, I got it for £120 and it matches the iPad 2 in specs. Add a bluetooth keyboard and it's £150 for a solid Android ICS machine

Sorry to jump in here, but I have been thinking of getting a tablet for lab work as I'll be starting an MRes next month.

I want to switch to an electronic lab book and would also like to use a tablet/smartphone with relevant apps (such as lab book beta, solution calculator, etc.) for this purpose. How feasible is this?

I have tried this in my previous lab and my supervisor was quite supportive. I used OneNote on a laptop for this and it worked ok, but this time around I want to be more mobile in the lab (e.g. carrying a tablet rather than a laptop around when running experiments) and figured a tablet may just do the trick?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by VENIVIDIVICI)
Sorry to jump in here, but I have been thinking of getting a tablet for lab work as I'll be starting an MRes next month.

I want to switch to an electronic lab book and would also like to use a tablet/smartphone with relevant apps (such as lab book beta, solution calculator, etc.) for this purpose. How feasible is this?

I have tried this in my previous lab and my supervisor was quite supportive. I used OneNote on a laptop for this and it worked ok, but this time around I want to be more mobile in the lab (e.g. carrying a tablet rather than a laptop around when running experiments) and figured a tablet may just do the trick?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I dunno, it might be a little annoying if you have to do serious graphing, typing etc. as tablets aren't really designed for proper serious stuff, just the odd emails, calendar things, a bit of browsing etc. and of course games
zeropoint
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would recommend against a tablet as your main note-taking method. Typing on a touchscreen gets uncomfortable after a time, while equations and diagrams are much easier using pen and paper. However, if you are so inclined:

You might consider the Asus Transformer Prime, or something of that format. Basically a laptop with a detachable screen.

You might also wait until the Microsoft Surface tablets come out, since they are likely to be reasonably cheap, will integrate with Office, and have an attachable keyboard.
VENIVIDIVICI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep that in mind. I haven't made up my mind yet, but have seen lab apps that work with the Samsung Galaxy Note (with stylus)..but I am restricted by price, so was hoping for something cheaper .
morisswalker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Samsung galaxy tab -2 is a great choice.

Features content

1. 1280x800 display.
  2. Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
  3. Tab 10.1 2 has the same 1GHz NVIDIA dualcore processor and 1GB of RAM as the original.

with such a very affordable price.
shanghaichica
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by VENIVIDIVICI)
Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep that in mind. I haven't made up my mind yet, but have seen lab apps that work with the Samsung Galaxy Note (with stylus)..but I am restricted by price, so was hoping for something cheaper .
I like the samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1. It's really good for reading pdfs, so you can use it to read all your research papers. Compatible with microsoft office so could use it for editing reports, presentations, etc.

When I was doing my MRes/working in the lab would have loved to have a tablet. Can imagine not having to carry around all those journal articles!

The galaxy tab 2 10.1 is £299 but you can get £50 cashback. Has 16 gb of internal memory but you can expand it with a micro SD card.

Also forgot to say you can buy a detachable keyboard for around £50. Would help with typing.
shanghaichica
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by morisswalker)
Samsung galaxy tab -2 is a great choice.

Features content

1. 1280x800 display.
  2. Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
  3. Tab 10.1 2 has the same 1GHz NVIDIA dualcore processor and 1GB of RAM as the original.

with such a very affordable price.
Sorry, I didn't see your post. I agree, though it's a great device.
VENIVIDIVICI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by shanghaichica)
I like the samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1. It's really good for reading pdfs, so you can use it to read all your research papers. Compatible with microsoft office so could use it for editing reports, presentations, etc.

When I was doing my MRes/working in the lab would have loved to have a tablet. Can imagine not having to carry around all those journal articles!

The galaxy tab 2 10.1 is £299 but you can get £50 cashback. Has 16 gb of internal memory but you can expand it with a micro SD card.

Also forgot to say you can buy a detachable keyboard for around £50. Would help with typing.
Thanks for that shanghaichica. I'll have a look at that option. Do you own a tablet now?
helpmekid
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Junaid96)

HP TouchPad -- Where did you get and When did you get that? Link ? What Shop
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (187)
75.71%
No (60)
24.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed