Turn on thread page Beta

Law Student? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are you studying law? Have you done contract? Could you please take a look at my contract problem question on the academic board. I don't think there are any law people wandering around on there, and my question is lonesome! Help me and tell me if I really do have to re-read the chapter on promisory estoppel again...

ReputationRep:
    I dont think that that question has anything to do with promissory estoppel,

Promissory estoppel is used where, although there may not otherwise be a enforceable contract, because one party has relied on the promise of the other, it would be unfair not to enforce the agreement.

I dont think that would apply in your question your question would be formation of contract. Is there a seperate contract made for the extra stuff?
    The hotel man does not state this. Also where is the contract formed? If it is formed downstairs then the hotel cannot add extra conditions (in the bedroom) after formation.

Havent got my contract books here now sorry or I would be more specific.

ReputationRep:
    Someone else in my seminar group mentioned they had included promissory estoppel, which just made me panic in case I had completely missed something!

Do you think that there was a second contract formed? And what would you describe Ernie's statement as? Can Bert's interpretation of "it's our pleasure" be enforced?

Bert and Ernie - our contract lecturers are insane. I'm surprised it wasn't the Sesame Hotel.

ReputationRep:
    I think you could certainly argue that there was no second contract if the only place the prices were mentioned is on the door of the hotel room. It would depend whether it was deemed to be sufficiently clear on the door.
    I dont think that a reasonable person would regard that as a second contract - because Bert (is that the customer?) didnt intend it to be a contract it isnt sufficiently clear that its seperate and Bert didnt intend to create a legally binding relationship about this. Did Bert when agreeing to take the hotel room, know that the extra stuff wasnt included? You would also need to know whether he had ever stayed at the hotel before if the answer was yes then he could be reasonably expected to know that payment was expected.

I cant really be more specific without looking up stuff.
    You might find this helpful

http://www.lawteacher.net/contract.htm

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, ugh, contract makes my brain hurt.

ReputationRep:
    my brother studied law but had to drop it coz it was too expensive to continue. now hes a proffesional pub/bar manager and got various places aroung notts

ReputationRep:
    I liked contract. Admin does my head in so boring!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.