The Student Room Group

C3 OCR Jan 2013 Preparation Thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Genesis2703
M2 and S2 are complete opposites for me, M2 i've done loads of papers for but don't feel confident at all while for S2 i've only done 6 papers and I feel pretty confident with it :s-smilie:

Still no S2 thread :tongue:

D2 will be **** for me! I will need to spend a lot of time learning these silly pointless algorithms :s-smilie:

haha yeah iv heard S2 is wayy nicer than S1. I'll be doing S1, FP1 and C4 after Jan exams.... what modules are you doing?
Original post by a10
D2 will be **** for me! I will need to spend a lot of time learning these silly pointless algorithms :s-smilie:

haha yeah iv heard S2 is wayy nicer than S1. I'll be doing S1, FP1 and C4 after Jan exams.... what modules are you doing?

C4, D2, FP2 oh and I may selfteach FP3.

The evil part of me hopes you get a horrible D2 exam now, so when I do it in the summer it is nice and easy :wink:

I personally would tell you to be afraid of M1, my June M1 exam was easier than any past paper i've done I swear, so I guess the January paper will be very hard... I've already done S1 and FP1 as you could've guessed.

S2 is not nicer than S1 imo, S1 is more about understanding the situation presented rather than actual maths though. Loads of people say D2 is easier than D1 but from the theory I've learnt in D2 thus far i'd disagree.
Reply 82
Original post by Genesis2703
C4, D2, FP2 oh and I may selfteach FP3.

The evil part of me hopes you get a horrible D2 exam now, so when I do it in the summer it is nice and easy :wink:

I personally would tell you to be afraid of M1, my June M1 exam was easier than any past paper i've done I swear, so I guess the January paper will be very hard... I've already done S1 and FP1 as you could've guessed.

S2 is not nicer than S1 imo, S1 is more about understanding the situation presented rather than actual maths though. Loads of people say D2 is easier than D1 but from the theory I've learnt in D2 thus far i'd disagree.

D1 was easier to learn, D2 is difficult and more confusing to learn more than half of the topics we learnt when we do them in class the whole class is clueless we had a mock before we closed and no one got > 60% the majority of marks where 10-45% only two people got over 50% its terrible and decision maths is the only module that is ruining my maths grade :angry:

Yess i know im very scared of M1 im thinking in January it will be hard i did the Jun 2012 paper but at the time had done no revision and got an E :angry: which tbh i REGRET hugely because i could have got an A on that :cry: by the sounds of it im guessing you scored 100% on M1? How is FP1?
Original post by a10
D1 was easier to learn, D2 is difficult and more confusing to learn more than half of the topics we learnt when we do them in class the whole class is clueless we had a mock before we closed and no one got > 60% the majority of marks where 10-45% only two people got over 50% its terrible and decision maths is the only module that is ruining my maths grade :angry:

Yess i know im very scared of M1 im thinking in January it will be hard i did the Jun 2012 paper but at the time had done no revision and got an E :angry: which tbh i REGRET hugely because i could have got an A on that :cry: by the sounds of it im guessing you scored 100% on M1? How is FP1?

got 98 UMS in M1, must have made some tiny error somewhere.

I did FP1 in January last year as one of our starting units to "scare" off any people who weren't dedicated to doing further maths. It looks very intimidating to start with, due to every single topic being something brand new. Over time however you get used to it and as a module it actually isn't that hard at all :tongue:
Reply 84
Can someone please tell me how to get 4i, 7iii, 9ii please for January 2009? thanks
http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/66643-question-paper-unit-4723-01-core-mathematics.pdf
Reply 85
Original post by master y
Can someone please tell me how to get 4i, 7iii, 9ii please for January 2009? thanks
http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/66643-question-paper-unit-4723-01-core-mathematics.pdf

Post your working
Reply 86
Subbing to this, got C3 and Biol4 in January :eek:

How is revision going for everyone?
Reply 87
Original post by erniiee
Subbing to this, got C3 and Biol4 in January :eek:

How is revision going for everyone?

only 2 exams? damn lucky you! Revision is going fine! Onto the 07 papers really aiming to do the 08s and 09s before we open then the college weeks finish of the 10s have already done 12 and 11s
Reply 88
Original post by a10
only 2 exams? damn lucky you! Revision is going fine! Onto the 07 papers really aiming to do the 08s and 09s before we open then the college weeks finish of the 10s have already done 12 and 11s

nice :smile: I've done 2005s, 2006s, Jan 2007, 2008s and Jan 12. Need to do the spec and all the later papers! Have to nail this C3 as I would love an A* in Maths!
Reply 89
Original post by erniiee
nice :smile: I've done 2005s, 2006s, Jan 2007, 2008s and Jan 12. Need to do the spec and all the later papers! Have to nail this C3 as I would love an A* in Maths!

yess would be lovely im also aiming for the magic 90 but i heard the june 2012 paper was easy and not that hard so this scares me because it means jan 13 will be rock hard :redface:
Reply 90
Original post by a10
yess would be lovely im also aiming for the magic 90 but i heard the june 2012 paper was easy and not that hard so this scares me because it means jan 13 will be rock hard :redface:

Ah no bad times :frown: I found the Jan 12 quite a challenge when I did it, but looking over the mark scheme has helped so much!
Reply 91
Original post by erniiee
Ah no bad times :frown: I found the Jan 12 quite a challenge when I did it, but looking over the mark scheme has helped so much!

you misread haha i said "June 2012" not jan!! Jan 2012 was easy except for the trig question and the very last part of transformations
From what i've heard the June 2012 paper is quite nice (which is bad ofc). It is one of the 3 papers I have no done yet so I dont really know though :/

Jan 2012 was easy except for Q8 on trig in my opinion :smile:
can anyone get a hold of the c3 june 2012 paper please?
Reply 94
Original post by Chemengdon592
can anyone get a hold of the c3 june 2012 paper please?

just google it you will find it. :smile:
Reply 95

please someone help! i've got 4i by doing chain rule, but i still can;t work out the others...
Reply 96
please someone help! i've got 4i by doing chain rule, but i still can;t work out the others...

u mean 7ii and 9ii or part b of 4?
Reply 97
Original post by AS01
u mean 7ii and 9ii or part b of 4?

well i currently need help with 7iii and 9ii :smile:
Reply 98
well i currently need help with 7iii and 9ii :smile:

basically u substitute value of x and y in 7ii. if u substitute 0 in x and 13 in y you will get 13= |e^0*k-a| so u get 13= 1-a which gives a=-12
now u can use the same method to find k. so u get 13=|e^kln3+12| so k=1/3
for 9ii. you do cos(3X+3X) I am using X in place of theta couldn't find it :biggrin:
so u get (cos3X)^2 - (sin3X)^2 you know value of cos3X frm above for sin3X you use 1-(cos3X)^2 and agin u can expand cos3X

Hope it helped
Reply 99
Original post by a10
you misread haha i said "June 2012" not jan!! Jan 2012 was easy except for the trig question and the very last part of transformations

Oh nah, I knew you were on about the June. Haven't done that paper yet though :tongue: yea I have to agree, everything was absolutely fine until I got to the last 2 questions :lol: lost far too many marks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending