The Student Room Group

Would you appreciate extended Sunday trading hours?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yes b/c it can help create some sort of emolyment
Sunday trading laws are archaic, end of.
Reply 22
Am I being silly or do Sunday trading laws not exist in Scotland? :confused:
Reply 23
The trading hours are fine as they are right now on a Sunday.

If the shops opened at 9am, would you even be out of bed to see it anyway?

Most people would probably still have too much of a hangover from the night before.
Reply 24
Original post by Ham22
no, because i do as much of my shopping as possible online. Who braves the highstreet to buy their **** these days? I mean really.

People that like to try clothes / shoes on to make sure they fit before they buy them?
People that would rather walk to the store, buy food and walk back than pay extra for it to be delivered?
People that use a trip to the mall as a social opportunity aswell as a retail opportunity?
I think that the 3 following things should be taken into consideration

1. Those who don't want it shouldn't be forced into it
2. This will give a chance to reduce unemployment as those who don't want it are effectively giving other people a chance
3. It doesn't matter either way for the company as to who wants it and who doesn't as it will enable their profits to continue to grow. Personally I think forcing shops to shut early on a Sunday is ridiculous anyway.
Reply 26
It depends in what direction they plan to extend the opening.

If it's for an extra hour or so after 6pm, no big deal. I can't see shops opening much longer than this anyway.

But for opening a 9am - no way. A 1pm opening is fine.
I don't see why not, so long as the employee isn't forced into it.

On this topic, why was the law on reduced trading hours introduced? Was it because of Christian influence (you shouldn't work on the Sabbath and all that), or was it to defend workers' rights?
Reply 28
From a customer's point of view - 100% yes. Its just ****ing retarded that I can go shopping at 4am on a tuesday morning but not at 5pm on a Sunday afternoon.

From a staff members point of view - 100% yes. Wtf else is there to do on a Sunday? When I used to work at Sainsburies, Sunday hours were like golddust. Everyone wanted that Sunday shift, unfortunately there were never enough hours to go round.

If staff can cope with keeping the tills open 24 hours during the week, I'm sure they can cope with working a Sunday evening.
Reply 29
Furthermore, the regeneration and reclamation of of our city centres, the current economic plight of the country, and the urban traffic situation, would all be massively improved if the standard retail hours shifted from 10-5pm to 12-8pm.

People work all sorts of different hours. bakers and postmen have to get to work before 6am. Most office workers work 9-5pm, service sector workers often work 4pm-midnight or similar, would it really kill retailers to be open at a time of the day when people would actually be able to go shopping.
Reply 30
As a staff member, no. I also don't think it has personally made my store any extra money, the extra hours between 9-10 and 4-5 are absolutely dead. Just because we're open for an extra two hours doesn't mean customers magically have more money to spend. Maybe 3 customers, if we're lucky. So standing around in complete and utter boredom for two hours because everything else has already been done and there are no customers to serve when I could be at home sleeping/doing something with my life is not my idea of a good time. & to the person who said sunday shifts were like gold dust in your store, come work in mine! Nobody wants to work them, so the same people get stuck with them every single week. Sucks when all your friends have weekends off. :colondollar:

Also it really annoyed me that the whole excuse for this extended sunday trading thing was the olympics and not wanting the rest of the world to think the UK shuts down on a sunday. Ermm, has David Cameron ever been to Europe? :s-smilie: Hardly anything opens at all there on a Sunday?! :s-smilie: I didn't really understand that justification haha.

Thank god my store only has one week left of 9-5, then we're going back to 10-4 hallelujah!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Samz
As a staff member, no. I also don't think it has personally made my store any extra money, the extra hours between 9-10 and 4-5 are absolutely dead. Just because we're open for an extra two hours doesn't mean customers magically have more money to spend. Maybe 3 customers, if we're lucky. So standing around in complete and utter boredom for two hours because everything else has already been done and there are no customers to serve when I could be at home sleeping/doing something with my life is not my idea of a good time. & to the person who said sunday shifts were like gold dust in your store, come work in mine! Nobody wants to work them, so the same people get stuck with them every single week. Sucks when all your friends have weekends off. :colondollar:

Also it really annoyed me that the whole excuse for this extended sunday trading thing was the olympics and not wanting the rest of the world to think the UK shuts down on a sunday. Ermm, has David Cameron ever been to Europe? :s-smilie: Hardly anything opens at all there on a Sunday?! :s-smilie: I didn't really understand that justification haha.

Thank god my store only has one week left of 9-5, then we're going back to 10-4 hallelujah!

Tescos near me was routinely packed at 7:30 on a Sunday evening.

Its about the service to customers isn't it? Its utterly ludicrous that in 2012 you can't buy a pint of milk after 4pm on a Sunday.

I couldn't give a **** about lazy staff who would rather be elsewhere. If you don't want to do the work, there are plenty of people who will. Its hardly like its a skilled job, lots of supermarkets are getting 100 applicants for each position at the minute.
Original post by py0alb
Tescos near me was routinely packed at 7:30 on a Sunday evening.

Its about the service to customers isn't it? Its utterly ludicrous that in 2012 you can't buy a pint of milk after 4pm on a Sunday.

I couldn't give a **** about lazy staff who would rather be elsewhere. If you don't want to do the work, there are plenty of people who will. Its hardly like its a skilled job, lots of supermarkets are getting 100 applicants for each position at the minute.

I do agree. I'd also like to add something to the point someone made that it's not made any difference yet... It hasn't because it's not been in place for very long, and most people don't even know about it. I only knew because I work in a shop, my family didn't until I told them.
So I think if we made this rule perminent, it would make a big difference once everyone got used to it. In the place that I went to uni, I was shocked to realise that the majority of shops on the highstreet were SHUT on a Sunday (with the exception of big brands)... It's hugely inconvenient when you can only get to the shops on a weekend to find that shops are either shut, or not open a decent amount of time.

There's no reason to keep the current trading hours anyway, it's an out dated law.
I'm so used to it I really don't mind. If I ever need anything I can just pop to a Tesco Express or Sainsburys Local as they're allowed to open to 11pm on Sundays.
Reply 34
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I do agree. I'd also like to add something to the point someone made that it's not made any difference yet... It hasn't because it's not been in place for very long, and most people don't even know about it. I only knew because I work in a shop, my family didn't until I told them.
So I think if we made this rule perminent, it would make a big difference once everyone got used to it. In the place that I went to uni, I was shocked to realise that the majority of shops on the highstreet were SHUT on a Sunday (with the exception of big brands)... It's hugely inconvenient when you can only get to the shops on a weekend to find that shops are either shut, or not open a decent amount of time.

There's no reason to keep the current trading hours anyway, it's an out dated law.

If you allowed 24-7 opening, I severely doubt many currently 24-5 supermarkets wouldn't take it up. Its not like there were any that didn't take advantage of the temporarily extended times, which clearly shows they think its worthwhile.
It's win-win, isn't it?

It would create more jobs. If shops can open an extra day, they can hire more staff to cover those hours.

Existing staff aren't asked to work even more hours unless they want to, new jobs are created, and people have the convenience of having shops open for longer.

Why on Earth shops are closed on Sunday is beyond me. Where I live some shops even close on Wednesday afternoons, because it's tradition.

All it results in is people being pissed off that they can't go to the shop.
I've never had an issue with working on a sunday. I'm a 20 year old students so i appreciate that i don't speak for the majority of workers but all this summer i've been working 30-40 hours a week in a restaurant and i've worked a lot of sundays and it hasn't bothered me. As long as i get 2days off a week i'm happy doesn't matter when they fall.

As a customer i would like it. Through sixth form i worked on saturdays and sunday was the only time i had free to do stuff but i was quite restricted due to places being shut.
Original post by py0alb
If you allowed 24-7 opening, I severely doubt many currently 24-5 supermarkets wouldn't take it up. Its not like there were any that didn't take advantage of the temporarily extended times, which clearly shows they think its worthwhile.

Yes, I was agreeing with you.
There are so many people looking for work, this is one thing that would help with that. If people have an issue with working on a Sunday, or working more than 6 hours on a Sunday, they can tell their boss. Their boss will then decide if they will hire someone else to cover the extra hours, or hire someone to replace them all together.

A girl I once worked with who was on a 20 hour contract used to really moan if she was ever asked to work a weekend. Why? It says nothing in your contract about only working weekdays, and the weekend is the busiest time working in retail. If you don't like it, work in an office.
On one side, I don't really care about it as anything that I need or want to get on Sunday past 5pm, I can get during the week. There's no urgent need to get things late on a Sunday. But on the other hand I can see that a lot of employees probably wouldn't mind an extra wage and if you had weekend workers in, I'm sure they'd appreciate the extra money.

I just don't see the need for it though, why can't people get their groceries or whatever they need on the Saturday?
As long as they get new staff in for the extra hours (creating a few jobs) then absolutely they should extend opening hours. Not if current employees are going to be forced into working more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending