The Student Room Group

Why medicine and not dentistry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Zedd
Regarding oral and maxillofacial, do you not need to get a MBChB after your BDS to practice in that area?

Yup, you need both dentistry and medicine to practice in oral and maxillofacial surgery. You can do it either way to be honest, either medicine then dentistry or vice versa.

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/view-article.html?id=1445
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Zedd
Regarding oral and maxillofacial, do you not need to get a MBChB after your BDS to practice in that area?

Yep. You need both medical and dental qualification for that
Reply 42
Original post by Anna1988
Wow that's very interesting! It's great to see that it's okay to toy around before making a final choice, some people expect you to know what you want to go into straight away! Just out of interest, what put you off O &G and Paeds?

O&G - I'm just not that interested in surgery. Plus managing chronic pelvic pain.

Paeds - I love kids, but I hate being the big nasty doctor who sticks needles in them.

Also would you say that as a general rule, if you can't get a training post in whatever specialty straight after F2, it is acceptable to work in a non-training post and apply again? Would this be a disadvantage if you change your mind and end up applying to a different specialty in the end? And how many years would you say is "acceptable" to remain in various non-training posts whilst trying for a certain specialty?

It's definitely acceptable to work in a non-training post - they don't expect you to stay unemployed for a year while you reapply! In anaesthetics at least, you get extra points in your application if you have experience beyond F2 in "complementary specialties." You're allowed to change your mind - they don't know what you've previously/also applied for - but you would have to do some work to make sure your application was competitive for that particular specialty.

As for maximum time out of training posts, it depends what you're doing. If you're doing a non-training job in the specialty you want to end up in, then having >18 months experience in that specialty can render you ineligible to apply for ST1 so you'd have to go for ST2, which brings its own problems. I'm not sure there's a definite total limit though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending