The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Dogs should not be allowed on public transport

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThisIsTheLife
In other words because you can't afford to buy another car for yourself to use.

There's nothing inherently wrong with being poor and unable to afford private transport. Don't know why people are being so defensive about it.

If you had your own car, and could afford to fill it with petrol and pay for parking at your destination, then there'd really be no reason to take public transport.

Personally I love using the train- so would optionally choose to use the train over a car most of the time. Nothing to do with me being poor or not- just personal preference.

That and driving in London is a nightmare- bus/ train is a lot safer, easier and cheaper, etc.
They shouldn't be allowed in public never mind on public transport, disgusting things. Guide dogs are an exception but I can't stand dog lovers shoving their mutts in your face, make my skin crawl.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 82
So much for the UK being a nation of dog lovers :s-smilie:

Many non dog owners/dog hating people dont realise that a dog is part of the family, not just an animal or a pet.To many people a dog is a companion and a constant one at that.My dog is always by my side.
There's nothing wrong with travelling with a dog!
They are not allowed onto the seats so I don't see why the fur is a problem unless you are very allergic.. but it is not going to be all over the bus/train.
Also, why would the dog be licking you unless you are giving it attention? lol all of the dogs that I have seen on public transport tend to be very well behaved. I think if they weren't they can be told to get off.
Original post by Annie72
So much for the UK being a nation of dog lovers :s-smilie:

Many non dog owners/dog hating people dont realise that a dog is part of the family, not just an animal or a pet.To many people a dog is a companion and a constant one at that.My dog is always by my side.

A dog is simply an animal. It will love who ever pets it and gives it food, this is why calling it your "constant companion" or a "member of the family" is quite sad.
Reply 85
Original post by llessur123
A dog is simply an animal. It will love who ever pets it and gives it food, this is why calling it your "constant companion" or a "member of the family" is quite sad.

You've obviously never owned a dog then...
Original post by senator88
I use public transport every day and have never experienced a bad journey as a result of a dog....all the ones i've seen on there are well behaved/clean and don't leave any hair or pee or poop. So I don't think its a problem

This.
Original post by When you see it...
I think even guide dogs shouldn't be allowed. We should make it so that, for blind people, private transport costs the same as public, so that they don't have to get on a public bus.

Say what?

Personally I've never had a problem with dogs on public transport, all the ones I've seen travelling have been quiet and well behaved.

However I've witnessed humans smoking on the bus/train, smoking weed, pissing, making noise, shedding hair (gross) and cutting toenails (worse).
Original post by Annie72
You've obviously never owned a dog then...

I have. Two actually. I've never felt the need to call them a companion or a member of the family though, I could see that they were simply animals.
Reply 89
I have. Two actually. I've never felt the need to call them a companion or a member of the family though, I could see that they were simply animals.

Fair enough.

It's not sad, just because you disagree with it.
Dogs don't just love whoever pets them or feeds them, there is a lot more to it than that. It depends on the owners obviously, but many of us form a bond with pets, and they DO become part of the family.

Our dog was rescued, so we haven't known her all her life. My brother is the one that feeds her, but she is closer mostly to my Dad because he works from home and she's very used to his company. She greets us when we get home (some more enthusiastically than others), and genuinely enjoys our company (will sit in a particular room to be with someone).
When she got seriously ill recently (first time in the 6.5 years we've had her), she really sought our comfort and help, and it was heartbreaking thinking that she was in so much pain and it was possible that she would die.

I'll cut the story now... But forming a bond with a pet that makes them part of the family isn't sad. If you don't feel the same way about pets, fair enough, but not everyone is the same.
Small children and drunks are normally more annoying than dogs on public transport.

And,of course, the token old per with BO who always seems to sit next to you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 92
Original post by Emaemmaemily
It's not sad, just because you disagree with it.
Dogs don't just love whoever pets them or feeds them, there is a lot more to it than that. It depends on the owners obviously, but many of us form a bond with pets, and they DO become part of the family.

Our dog was rescued, so we haven't known her all her life. My brother is the one that feeds her, but she is closer mostly to my Dad because he works from home and she's very used to his company. She greets us when we get home (some more enthusiastically than others), and genuinely enjoys our company (will sit in a particular room to be with someone).
When she got seriously ill recently (first time in the 6.5 years we've had her), she really sought our comfort and help, and it was heartbreaking thinking that she was in so much pain and it was possible that she would die.

I'll cut the story now... But forming a bond with a pet that makes them part of the family isn't sad. If you don't feel the same way about pets, fair enough, but not everyone is the same.

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again"......other wise would + rep you this post.

I concur :smile:
Original post by Skill
Just wrong. It's bad enough having to deal with dogs biting holes in my footballs and trying to avoid their droppings on the pavement, due to their irresponsible owners. I don't want to go on a bus/train and find my seat is covered in hairs, nor do I want do have some mofo of a dog sat next to me, smelling of some awful disease and occasionally licking me. Why are dogs allowed on public transport? Discuss.

Erm, for a start dogs aren't allowed on the seats of a bus/train, they're supposed to be on the floor, so unless you regularly sit on the floor then you should probably just STFU.
Reply 94
I think for the most part there is absolutely no problem with dogs using public transport. Like someone else mentioned, I have not once seen a dog misbehaving on a bus, unlike some humans:smile:

Clearly it should be (and it probably is) the bus driver who has the final say, and if someone is trying to get on with a dog which looks, or is behaving vicious, then it should be refused.
Reply 95
I've never encountered a dog on public transport, my main problem with them is when people bring them into food places and generally let them run amok.

I work in a takeaway and a man came in with a dog, it had no leash and just followed him into the shop. He didn't try to stop it or take it back outside, just queued while his dog ran all over the place, following me around behind the counter. I had no idea what to do! I wasn't about to try to grab it (it didn't look very clean plus i'm allergic) and it's unhygenic :frown: In the end I managed to shoo it away and it went and stood by the owner.

Sadly this same man kept returning and bringing the dog in until one day I finally snapped when the dog stood on its hind legs and put its paws up on the counter :angry: I shouted at it till it got down and I then turned around to find its owner and every other customer in the shop staring at me!

I think the guy took the hint after that and he bought a lead to tie it up outside. I was pretty glad about that, as I don't have the authority to ban him from the shop or anything, and my boss never witnessed him bringing the dog in. Plus I was sick of having to run around cleaning everything it had touched :mad:
I think even guide dogs shouldn't be allowed. We should make it so that, for blind people, private transport costs the same as public, so that they don't have to get on a public bus.

Why shouldn't guide dogs (who are a mobility aid) be allowed on public transport? I have friends with guide dogs and one always brings her when we're out. I can honestly say I've never had a problem with the dog at all.

Blind people and their guide dogs have as much right to use buses as anyone else.
Reply 97
I've never seen any inappropriate behaviour from dogs on buses, so as long as they don't bite/bark I don't see the problem.

I almost had to take my old dog on buses several times to get to vet appointments, seeing as I can't drive and she couldn't walk that far.
Original post by Witty Username
Say what?

Personally I've never had a problem with dogs on public transport, all the ones I've seen travelling have been quiet and well behaved.

However I've witnessed humans smoking on the bus/train, smoking weed, pissing, making noise, shedding hair (gross) and cutting toenails (worse).

Original post by OU Student
Why shouldn't guide dogs (who are a mobility aid) be allowed on public transport? I have friends with guide dogs and one always brings her when we're out. I can honestly say I've never had a problem with the dog at all.

Blind people and their guide dogs have as much right to use buses as anyone else.

Okay, I'll take my lion on then.
Even if it is a guide-lion it is still a lion and it shouldn't get special treatment relative to other lions. Same with dogs.
If you think all dogs are okay for public transport then fair enough (although I disagree) however I don't get how there can be one rule for guide dogs and another for normal dogs.
Dogs can be really aggressive and annoying. Ideally maybe only the aggressive ones could be banned, but that is far too much work to decide which ones are allowed etc. and it would be easier to just ban all of them.
Yes people too can be aggressive and annoying but banning them would defeat the purpose of public transport.
Okay, I'll take my lion on then.
Even if it is a guide-lion it is still a lion and it shouldn't get special treatment relative to other lions. Same with dogs.
If you think all dogs are okay for public transport then fair enough (although I disagree) however I don't get how there can be one rule for guide dogs and another for normal dogs.
Dogs can be really aggressive and annoying. Ideally maybe only the aggressive ones could be banned, but that is far too much work to decide which ones are allowed etc. and it would be easier to just ban all of them.
Yes people too can be aggressive and annoying but banning them would defeat the purpose of public transport.

Just thought I'd say that guide dogs are trained professionally so you know they won't misbehave or do anything you'd disagree with. You can't have a vicious, aggressive guide dog.
With every other dog though, you just don't know, it entirely depends on how they've been raised.

Latest

Trending

Trending