The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've always been lead to believe it's 11pm... Not 100% sure though.
Reply 2
Sounds like this guy's in town!

tumblr_lqlqorKBgG1qkfnlm.jpg
I am inclined to think 11 too
Reply 4
Okay now some awful screechy karaoke singing ffs
Reply 5
I heard the man just say "Okay im gonna do one more song because we've had a row"

YES!!!!
Reply 6
What county do you live in? The rules vary depending on region.

e.g. http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/noise/neighbours.asp 11pm

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=70

"Under the Noise Act 1996, local councils must take reasonable steps to investigate complaints of noise between 11pm and 7am. Council officers can enter premises where there is noise beyond the prescribed levels and remove any equipment responsible for the noise. Some councils have out-of-hours noise patrols who can investigate alleged night-time noise nuisances in person."
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I thought it was 11pm too.
Reply 8
i think however you can put in a noise complaint any time though, they will need to test it to see if it is over the allowed amount. however it probably won't be (i know a house party don't go over the before 11pm amount)
There is no time set out by law. The police may respond to calls concerning loud noises - they will often visit the person responsible for the noise and ask them to turn the volume down. However they have no powers to do anything other than make this request.

Only the local authority can take action against those who create noise. In some cases, there will be licensing conditions which will have been breached and the local authority can take action quite quickly. Often, it will be your council's Environmental Health department which will take steps against regular noise polluters.

This page has some useful information: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/NoiseNuisanceAndLitter/DG_10029682
Reply 10
Original post by Miracle Day
Just wondering at what time is it considered disruptive? For the past 5 hours a pub about 400 metres away have a man singing Tom Jones and other old classics and it's getting so ****ing annoying!

I'm not going to like phone the police but after a certain time don't they have to stop i.e. when neighbours call the police?

If it's a pub/club, they will have had to apply for a Premises Licence.

In the application, they have to layout when/what will happen during their opening hours.

If the Licence is approved by the Local Authority, and the pub is abiding by the terms of their premises Licence, there isn't much you can do, as local residents will have had the chance to object during the application period.
It depends when they have a license to play music until I think, but most places will calm the music down by 11/11.30.
My local makes sure that they keep it down by midnight at the latest, they have had plenty of complaints from neighbours in the past, but respect that they need to try and keep it down by a decent time.
Reply 12
I have always been under the impression that excessive noise shouldn't be made during the hours of 11:00pm - 7:30am. :rolleyes:
Original post by Miracle Day
Just wondering at what time is it considered disruptive? For the past 5 hours a pub about 400 metres away have a man singing Tom Jones and other old classics and it's getting so ****ing annoying!

I'm not going to like phone the police but after a certain time don't they have to stop i.e. when neighbours call the police?

As people have said, there isn't a time specified by law, but the pub will have licensing arrangement with the local council.

Living next to a pub myself, I know it can get pretty noisy (the worst bit for me is the people hanging around outside to smoke. The smoke doesn't bother me in the slightest, but they all stand outside my bedroom window and shout at each other. Its highly annoying). But having said that, living in a property near a pub it has to be expected that it will get noisy. And I don't think karaoke at 10.30pm on a weekend is particularly unreasonable myself.

If you think it is excessive, make a complaint to the licensing department of your local council. They probably won't do anything if the pub is keeping to its current licensing agreements, but they will take all previous complaints into account if the pub looks to extend or alter its license in some way.

One thing to note, if you're complaining of antisocial behaviour from customers, the licensing department will be unlikely to take this into account unless you have a crime reference number to show you reported it to the police. So report it on the non-emergency anti-social behaviour number (101) and get a reference number.
Reply 14
This situation depends on the neighbor hood. If they have permission by the authority than it is alright, but if it is disturbing, than you should contact the land owner and tell them about the situation.
Reply 15
Its 11pm before someone can call the police and they can do something about it because its a crime - before then its just considered non-criminal anti social behavior and you can get warnings from your local council or regional authority - but they have no power to take you to court/have you arrested if its before 11pm
Original post by Clez
Its 11pm before someone can call the police and they can do something about it because its a crime - before then its just considered non-criminal anti social behavior and you can get warnings from your local council or regional authority - but they have no power to take you to court/have you arrested if its before 11pm

Source?
Reply 17
if it goes over a certain db's any time it could be classed as Noise Pollution, so no matter what time of day it is something can be done.
Reply 18
Original post by Vohamanah
Source?

Knowledge from my own brain
Original post by Clez
Knowledge from my own brain

I'm afraid you're wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending