Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone sorry for the alarming title but i really need a quick answer to this. I have to hand in my EPQ in a few days and am really getting anxious about the plagiarism rules, as I dont know them clearly.My question is, does the plagiarism checker software include checking for scientific journals and books? I have included a lot of information from these sources and have referenced them but I'm not entirely sure that I have referenced everything as I went along. need an answer to this ASAP if possible please.. I dont want to be kicked out of my college for A2 :/

ReputationRep:
    please?

ReputationRep:
    The general software highlights it for review which should then be done by a human (IF they WERE to kick you out they'd have to check it manually or else there'd be a very interesting potential for you to end up quite rich I believe...

But if its properly referenced etc then it should be fine, and im sure they'd let you off for little things - its only a college not a massive life changing scientific journal (no offence)

I can recommend a few websites to run it through but Im not actually sure if i can post the links - i'll check and I might be back

ReputationRep:
    http://searchenginereports.net/articlecheck.aspx

http://www.duplichecker.com/

tbh, google is your friend for checking how your work looks to them

Hope it helps though, and good luck

ReputationRep:
    i appreciate the reply Djministe, thank you!

i was always told by teachers that boards have special software to check for plagiarism, because EPQ is supervised by an exam board (i think) does it still mean its manually checked and not checked by using software?

ReputationRep:
    the software checks it on mass, but 'suspicious' ones need to be read by a human, I've yet to meet software that is good enough to replace a real human being', but basically the computer filters out most of whats submitted (and logs it so you can't really sell it on afterwards (I know UCAS and personal statements are anyways :P)

and its fine

ReputationRep:
    thats great i think im just being paranoid haha, thanks again

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be a pest but im still wondering if the system that checks through it, checks with a database of the internet only or through internet AND scientific journals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stdomser)
    sorry to be a pest but im still wondering if the system that checks through it, checks with a database of the internet only or through internet AND scientific journals?
    You're beginning to sound as if you have a guilty conscience. As long as you have properly referenced it, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    i said in the top post that i dont think i have referenced every single thing as i went along (its 5,000 words and i have been doing it late past midnight) but i have for most of it, i only asked because i wanted to know if i should go back and search for every single source i've used so far including science journos..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone sorry for the alarming title but i really need a quick answer to this.

I have to hand in my EPQ in a few days and am really getting anxious about the plagiarism rules, as I dont know them clearly.My question is, does the plagiarism checker software include checking for scientific journals and books? I have included a lot of information from these sources and have referenced them but I'm not entirely sure that I have referenced everything as I went along. need an answer to this ASAP if possible please.. I dont want to be kicked out of my college for A2 :/
    Firstly, chill out it's just an EPQ second, it's a qualification for 16-18 year olds, not university graduates, and so you won't be expected to be perfect.

ReputationRep:
    i said in the top post that i dont think i have referenced every single thing as i went along (its 5,000 words and i have been doing it late past midnight) but i have for most of it, i only asked because i wanted to know if i should go back and search for every single source i've used so far including science journos..
    Well, it's good practice for university to do so, but why not check with your teacher before you hand it in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid96)
    Firstly, chill out it's just an EPQ second, it's a qualification for 16-18 year olds, not university graduates, and so you won't be expected to be perfect.
    loool that made me feel better, its just my college are making out as if its make or break for staying in second year that's why i seem ott

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Well, it's good practice for university to do so, but why not check with your teacher before you hand it in?
    we have to hand it in officially tomorrow so i cant :/ she said she didnt have time to check it before too, anyway i'll just try and go back on everything if i can
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    loool that made me feel better, its just my college are making out as if its make or break for staying in second year that's why i seem ott
    Lol, does everyone even do EPQ? In our school 20 people from upper sixth do it, and that's it

ReputationRep:
    Lol, does everyone even do EPQ? In our school 20 people from upper sixth do it, and that's it
    this year my college (st dominics) made it compulsory for everyone *sigh think its a funding thing
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    this year my college (st dominics) made it compulsory for everyone *sigh think its a funding thing
    Sigh indeed. Ahh, your username - I see what you did there.

ReputationRep:
    we have to hand it in officially tomorrow so i cant :/ she said she didnt have time to check it before too, anyway i'll just try and go back on everything if i can
    Well, that's a shame, but it can't be helped. Do your best. It might be an idea just to ask about the referencing as you hand it in. If you've handed the work in on time, (which many won't, trust me on that. I'm a teacher) it wouldn't be too much of an imposition on the teacher if you ask if you can add a fuller bibliography in the next day if you've done it wrong. Be honest about your worries. S/he can get on with marking the main bit and simply stick the references on at the end. That's what I'd do if one of my students was genuinely worried and had done the work properly.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh indeed. Ahh, your username - I see what you did there.
    well spotted :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Well, that's a shame, but it can't be helped. Do your best. It might be an idea just to ask about the referencing as you hand it in. If you've handed the work in on time, which many won't, trust me on that. I'm a teacher) it wouldn't be too much of an imposition on the teacher if you ask if you can add a fuller bibliography in the next day if you've done it wrong. Be honest about your worries. S/he can get on with marking the main bit and simply stick the references on at the end. That's what I'd do if one of my students was genuinely worried and had done the work properly.
    That sounds like the the best thing to do, thanks for your advice

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.