Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is Physics hard in A-Levels.
    Do you think I should take it if I'm predicted a B at GCSE.
    And do u think it will be useful taking Physics if I don't take Maths for A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy)
    And do u think it will be useful taking Physics if I don't take Maths for A-Levels.
    Take it if it's one of your best subjects but because you are predicted a B it could be difficult one.

ReputationRep:
    if u enjoy it and are geniunely interested u should - if not you'll really struggle

ReputationRep:
    Ha! I never ever got science, but our Literature course is an equivilent to Physics so I am happy!

ReputationRep:

don't take physics without maths- that will make it hard..you will probably have to do extra maths lessons anyway-that's what they did at my college...but physics is good!!

ReputationRep:
    Forget Physics, take Media Studies and get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    don't take physics without maths- that will make it hard..you will probably have to do extra maths lessons anyway-that's what they did at my college...but physics is good!!
    I have two friends doing Physics wihtout maths. They ain't doing to bad. Yet.

ReputationRep:
    The Physics OCR B syllabus is a complete doddle. Almost all the questions just require you confirm an answer - in other words, you have the answer and just need to find out which formula to use to get it. You're given a massive formula booklet. There is a fair bit of coursework though, and this is the only thing that I found challenging - and that was only because I left it as late as possible!

I'm not sure if the other boards have similar exams. Certainly the OCR B exam doesn't justify its reputation as a "hard" A Level.

ReputationRep:
    I do OCR A and its not a doddle but its not bad and quite worthwhile

ReputationRep:
    if you enjoy it it now, it gets much more interesting at a level /degree level. Are you doing triple award science? or if you are doing the traditional double is it other sections (e.g. bio/chem) that are bringing your mark down to a B?

You definietly don't need to do maths. the only maths-y type bit of a level physics is a little bit of calculas in proofs & the exponential stuff as far as i remember... and they teach you all of that as if you didnt know it to start with.

My friend who took all 3 sciences dropped maths after 1 month of AS as he couldnt hack it but got 3 A's in the rest..

ReputationRep:

Well, what proffession do you want to take up after your studies?
    And it is very important that you like physics, because you don't want to be studying a subject you don't like, trust me!!! I hated physics when I did my GCSEs, and when I got my results last year (I did double award) I only got 2 grade Cs.But I had to really work for it.
    Believe me, GCSEs are alot easier than A-Levels!!!

Its good that you're thinking about this though. Have you considered taking Psychology?

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy Physics, then yes - Although it does get more interesting at A-Level though.

ReputationRep:
    Look. Physics is a nice subject in pair with Maths. But if you dont do Maths and you predict a B on the GCSE than it just might be hard and... pointless. Just a good advise: If you take the "Science" A-level course then the most "famous" and "beloved" subjects on A-levels are Maths, History and Economics. If you do 4 A-levels then Physics follows.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.