HighwayUnicorn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey everyone

I am hoping to study Physiotherapy at University. Managed to get aabb as AS in Biology, English Literature, Chemistry and Maths. I'm dropping Maths so I can fully focus all my effort into my 3 stronger areas. I am thinking about applying to KCL, Bath, Brunel and maybe Nottingham.

But something is bothering me. The Nottingham prospectus and the official Physiotherapy degree page on TSR both state that work experience is mandatory and I will probably get automatically rejected if I don't have relevant work experience within a hospital setting.

Now believe me, I have literally tried EVERYWHERE to get work experience in a hospital setting. Small clinics, private businesses, official NHS hospitals. No one is available to give me work experience that allows me to shadow/assist a physiotherapist in a clinical setting. I've been trying since May and it's really getting to me now. I have spoken to a special needs school however which is offering me work experience as a Education assistant. I went to a brief interview with the headteacher and he said that I would not be allowed to shadow the physiotherapist who works there because official physiotherapy students will be shadowing her instead. Now I don't even know if I can do that experience because my school will not allow me to take 1/2 weeks out of school Not even during my study periods!

However one hospital is available to offer me work experience when I turn 18 on October 28th. But my schools personal statement deadline is October 25th so it won't be ready by then.

It's really annoying because my personal statement is coming along pretty well but the most crucial part of the isn't there.

So my main questions are:
1) What are my chances of receiving an interview when I haven't got the WE at the present time?
2) Can I talk about experience that I am planning to do? What if I don't get the placement?
3) If I can talk about my keen interest in the subject as a temporary replacement for work experience, will the chances of me getting an interview increase?

Any advice would be absolutely great Thanks!
Ironmike
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hiya,

It is tough to get work experience and universities understand this. To answer your questions:

1) It's not out of the question. The interviewers will want to see that you have got an understanding of the profession and the different areas that physios work in. When I interviewed last year, candidates got points not for how much work experience they had, but for showing that they understood the scope of the profession. A question might for instance be along the lines of 'what areas do physiotherapists work in and can you tell me about your experiences.' Experiences here might not mean just hands on, but what you have read about, what interactions you have had, so maybe chatting to a physio over the phone about the profession etc.

2) My suggestion would be to do what I did and put down that you have had work experience in your PS even if it hasn't materialised yet. I was in the same situation - I submitted my UCAS in December and had my work experience lined up for February. I worded my PS to say that I had had it and by the time I got to interview I had. If it is a sure thing that you will get it then just say that you have.

3) You need to talk about how keen you are on the subject anyway. You won't get an interview saying that you kind of want to study it as there is nothing better going on.

Have you looked at all avenues? What about nursing homes? Charities? Depending on which area of the country you are in I might be able to get you some contacts. I'm London based.
HighwayUnicorn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks for the reply! You answered all my questions I'm still looking for areas to volunteer in (eg: Nursing Homes) but again no one is taking me on :s
cheesom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ironmike)
Hiya,

It is tough to get work experience and universities understand this. To answer your questions:

1) It's not out of the question. The interviewers will want to see that you have got an understanding of the profession and the different areas that physios work in. When I interviewed last year, candidates got points not for how much work experience they had, but for showing that they understood the scope of the profession. A question might for instance be along the lines of 'what areas do physiotherapists work in and can you tell me about your experiences.' Experiences here might not mean just hands on, but what you have read about, what interactions you have had, so maybe chatting to a physio over the phone about the profession etc.

2) My suggestion would be to do what I did and put down that you have had work experience in your PS even if it hasn't materialised yet. I was in the same situation - I submitted my UCAS in December and had my work experience lined up for February. I worded my PS to say that I had had it and by the time I got to interview I had. If it is a sure thing that you will get it then just say that you have.

3) You need to talk about how keen you are on the subject anyway. You won't get an interview saying that you kind of want to study it as there is nothing better going on.

Have you looked at all avenues? What about nursing homes? Charities? Depending on which area of the country you are in I might be able to get you some contacts. I'm London based.

Hello mike, i am having same problem as well. I live in Kent and i have tried literally EVERYWHERE in Kent but no luck. I would appreciate it if you would be able to get me some contacts in london. Also do you think it is possible to do work experience during the Christmas holiday?
Vedernikova
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ironmike)
Hiya, It is tough to get work experience and universities understand this. To answer your questions: 1) It's not out of the question. The interviewers will want to see that you have got an understanding of the profession and the different areas that physios work in. When I interviewed last year, candidates got points not for how much work experience they had, but for showing that they understood the scope of the profession. A question might for instance be along the lines of 'what areas do physiotherapists work in and can you tell me about your experiences.' Experiences here might not mean just hands on, but what you have read about, what interactions you have had, so maybe chatting to a physio over the phone about the profession etc. 2) My suggestion would be to do what I did and put down that you have had work experience in your PS even if it hasn't materialised yet. I was in the same situation - I submitted my UCAS in December and had my work experience lined up for February. I worded my PS to say that I had had it and by the time I got to interview I had. If it is a sure thing that you will get it then just say that you have. 3) You need to talk about how keen you are on the subject anyway. You won't get an interview saying that you kind of want to study it as there is nothing better going on. Have you looked at all avenues? What about nursing homes? Charities? Depending on which area of the country you are in I might be able to get you some contacts. I'm London based.
Dear Mike, I came across this very useful post of yours, and although you've posted it 2 years ago, I am wondering if you are still in a position to share contact details in London that can be useful for arranging the work experience. I am applying to study BSc Physiotherapy starting from Sept 15, and as almost everyone else here found it extremely difficult to find the possibilities for WE! Thanks anyway!!!
rachdach
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have been looking for months now and no one is taking me on! does anyone have contacts for work experience?
Vladimir Senciuc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unfortunately, I am in the same situation. Could anyone offer me some points of contact for work experience in London?
PhysioStudent437
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys,

Work experience is essential for Physiotherapy.
If you want to be seriously considered for a place, then the universities want to see that you have a variety of work experience.

The key is to be persistent, hospitals will ignore you the first several times, but keep calling them and following up with emails.
They want to see whether you're serious.
Think about how many people actually ask about physiotherapy work experience in a hospital? LOADS. You guessed it!

Best of luck guys, if you have any more questions then don't hesitate to ask

I think I'm probably going to make a video on this topic, as I've had quite a few requests for it on my channel.

Matticus, 1st Year Physiotherapy Student at Southampton University, http://www.youtube.com/c/MatticusVLOGS
e.obyrne20
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Very difficult to get work experience unless studying physiotherapy in college but it's mainly down to the whole patient confidentiality thing, having another person in the room is not ideal for most people
Twinkle64
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could also try football clubs, rigby clubs,special schools and charities such as Cerbral Palsy, Charcot Marie Tooth Etc. They have physios working there too. Most local league football and rugby clubs have physios working during match days and also strength and conditioning mgs too. I know they may say hospital experience but those others would at least give you you some exerience and may lead to other places by networking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.46%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.53%

Watched Threads