The Student Room Group

A* in maths a-level

What 3 modules can you use above 90 ums to help contribute to the A*?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It has to be C3 and C4.
The two core A2 modules, C3 & C4. The third A2 module doesn't count towards it.
Reply 3
I don't understand that q
Reply 4
Original post by TattyBoJangles

Oh right, so you dont need to get above 90 ums in the third optional A2 module?
Original post by chris_d
Oh right, so you dont need to get above 90 ums in the third optional A2 module?

Nope :smile:
You don't have to get 90% + in both C3 and C4 either, just 90% average over the two. As long as you get that, and enough UMS for an A overall, you get the A*
Original post by chris_d
What 3 modules can you use above 90 ums to help contribute to the A*?

180/200 in C3 and C4 together, and 480/600 overall.

It's only for FM where you need 270/300 in your top 3 A2 modules (S2, M2, FP2 etc.)
Reply 7
Original post by TattyBoJangles

nope it doesnt you have to average 90% in c3 n c4 and get 80% av in your AS. Obviously the 3rd module you will have to do fairly decent but you can still get 70% in the 3rd module and still manage the A* i think
so :
avg 80% = 240/300
90 ums in c3 and c4 = 180/200
240+180=420/600
just need a c in the third if im not mistaken
Original post by a10
nope it doesnt you have to average 90% in c3 n c4 and get 80% av in your AS. Obviously the 3rd module you will have to do fairly decent but you can still get 70% in the 3rd module and still manage the A* i think

Why would you have to average 80% in AS, you can average less than that in AS and still get an A* for the full A level.

You need to average above 80% in the full A level and average 90% in C3 and C4
Reply 10
You need 480/600 in Maths A level, and 180/200 In C3 and C4, it has nothing to do with your AS score.
Reply 11
Ah good, thanks everyone!
wait so i got
c1 - 100%
c2 - 80%
m1 - 83%
i was thinking of repeating c2 in jan as i think i could get over 90% in it, do you think i should or focus on getting over 90% in C3 in jan
Original post by Pyro2000x
wait so i got
c1 - 100%
c2 - 80%
m1 - 83%
i was thinking of repeating c2 in jan as i think i could get over 90% in it, do you think i should or focus on getting over 90% in C3 in jan

Focus on C3.
Reply 14
Original post by TheIrrational
Why would you have to average 80% in AS, you can average less than that in AS and still get an A* for the full A level.

You need to average above 80% in the full A level and average 90% in C3 and C4

okay i got for my AS

C1 79
C2 83
D1 55(bad day)

so that averages to 72.3% which is a B i wanted to resit the 55 and do a lot better so i can achieve the A* grade easier so according to you as long as i end up with 80% overall (480/600) and achieve 90 average in c3 and c4 i get the A*? So in other words i dont need to resit the 55 as long as the A2 perfomance is superb?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by a10
okay i got for my AS

C1 79
C2 83
D1 55(bad day)

so that averages to 72.2% which is a B i wanted to resit the 55 and do a lot better so i can achieve the A* grade so according to you as long as i end up with 80% overall and achieve 90 average in c3 and c4 i get the A*? So in other words i dont need to resit the 55 as long as the a2 perfomance is good?

79+83+55 = 217 UMS
For A* C3 + C4 = 180 (or above)
217 + 180 = 397
For A* total UMS = 480
480 - 397 = 83 needed from your other application unit or from exceeding 180 in C3/C4

This is all fine in theory but you would be well advised to still think about a D1 resit because if you don't do quite as well at A2 as you hope you'll miss the A* and won't get an A either. (e.g. get 179 in C3/C4 no A* and then 83 in other unit No A either). C4 is a challenging unit for very many students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by gdunne42
79+83+55 = 217 UMS
For A* C3 + C4 = 180 (or above)
217 + 180 = 397
For A* total UMS = 480
480 - 397 = 83 needed from your other application unit or from exceeding 180 in C3/C4

This is all fine in theory but you would be well advised to still think about a D1 resit because if you don't do quite as well at A2 as you hope you'll miss the A* and won't get an A either. (e.g. get 179 in C3/C4 no A* and then 83 in other unit No A either). C4 is a challenging unit for very many students.

man i hate D1 it was my second time sitting that exam first time i got 10(LOL) second time 55 i didn't finish the exam though now i got to sit it a 3rd time arghhh :s-smilie: i have already done C4 and got 65 ums without very good preparation but im going to just do the A2 year exams again in my 3rd year of college while im finishing physics A2 and computing A2. Would you advise to do S1 instead of D1 i hear thats a straight forward module and i would probably do better in it
Reply 17
Original post by a10
man i hate D1 it was my second time sitting that exam first time i got 10(LOL) second time 55 i didn't finish the exam though now i got to sit it a 3rd time arghhh :s-smilie: i have already done C4 and got 65 ums without very good preparation but im going to just do the A2 year exams again in my 3rd year of college while im finishing physics A2 and computing A2. Would you advise to do S1 instead of D1 i hear thats a straight forward module and i would probably do better in it

Your C1/C2 results show you are a decent enough mathematician. Your D1 and C4 don't scream out A* material so I'd say definitely make the A more secure. People often say D1 is easy and I guess it is but it's also very easy to lose a ton of marks if you are not extremely well prepared for the exam style questions - they are very picky in marking your answers. S1 is pretty straightforward content with only some of the probablity and the normal distribution that goes very far beyong GCSE knowledge so it could be a good plan to change. Have a look at some S1 papers and text book to get a sense for how much you are already happy with and how much effort it would be to learn. Would you be teaching yourself or taking a class?

I am sure you'll have it but just in case this site is a great help:
http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by gdunne42
Your C1/C2 results show you are a decent enough mathematician. Your D1 and C4 don't scream out A* material so I'd say definitely make the A more secure. People often say D1 is easy and I guess it is but it's also very easy to lose a ton of marks if you are not extremely well prepared for the exam style questions - they are very picky in marking your answers. S1 is pretty straightforward content with only some of the probablity and the normal distribution that goes very far beyong GCSE knowledge so it could be a good plan to change. Have a look at some S1 papers and text book to get a sense for how much you are already happy with and how much effort it would be to learn. Would you be teaching yourself or taking a class?

I am sure you'll have it but just in case this site is a great help:
http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/

If I do S1 it will be in a Statistics class because for my A2 modules I had chosen M1 along with C3 and C4 because I want to do Mechanical Engineering and they value the mechanics module. Thanks for the advice!!! I think I will do S1 instead, i dont like D1 because of the silly things that cost you tonnes of marks something as simple as getting a line wrong could mean losing 7 marks and also its not very logical maths.

I will have a look on that website.
Reply 19
c3+c4 average needs to equal 90% however the overall average of all 6 units needs to equal 80%

Quick Reply

Latest