Snoopop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys
I was just wondering if your colleges/sixth forms require a uniform to be worn? If so, what is it like?
I was just getting my last bits for mine today:
white blouse, black pencil skirt, black blazer and optional school tie.
We've been told that if the skirt is lycra, too tight or too short we will be sent home. Allowed to wear moderate makeup, 1 pair of earrings and light nail polish.
Even though wearing my own clothes sounds good, I wouldn't be able to pick what to wear everyday, it was hard enough on non-uniform days at senior school! Also, it makes me feel like I have some importance I guess :cool:
Your opinions?
EmilyD237
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We have "dress regulations" rather than strict uniform in 6th form - completely different to the lower school.
- black skirt around knee length but not tight or clingy - no body-con skirts, no long slits. I've got pencil skirts.
- plain white shirt/blouse, if we wear the 6th form tie then it needs a collar.
- black blazer
- black jumper or cardigan.
- tights (plain black or skin-colour) MUST be worn, no socks or bare legs - though I always wear stockings, much more comfy!
- light/discrete make-up and nail varnish is allowed
- plain black flat or low-heeled shoes

The lads have blazer, trousers, shirt tie - about the only choice they have is long or short sleeves for the shirt!

I'm happy to wear uniform still, especially as it's so different to lower school. No worries about what to wear in the morning. Normally on school days I keep it on in the evening too...
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went to a sixth form college, and we had no dress requirements at all beyond "don't take the piss". And quite right too - uniform is for pupils, and once you get to sixth form, you're students. I've never been totally convinced by schools having a sixth form - some of them still think of sixth formers as kids, and don't make enough of a distinction between their school pupils and their sixth formers.
Snoopop
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmilyD237)
We have "dress regulations" rather than strict uniform in 6th form - completely different to the lower school.
- black skirt around knee length but not tight or clingy - no body-con skirts, no long slits. I've got pencil skirts.
- plain white shirt/blouse, if we wear the 6th form tie then it needs a collar.
- black blazer
- black jumper or cardigan.
- tights (plain black or skin-colour) MUST be worn, no socks or bare legs - though I always wear stockings, much more comfy!
- light/discrete make-up and nail varnish is allowed
- plain black flat or low-heeled shoes

The lads have blazer, trousers, shirt tie - about the only choice they have is long or short sleeves for the shirt!

I'm happy to wear uniform still, especially as it's so different to lower school. No worries about what to wear in the morning. Normally on school days I keep it on in the evening too...
Sounds pretty similar to mine! Would ask if we went to the same sixth form, but I guess quite a few sixth forms would have similar.
Snoopop
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThePants999)
I went to a sixth form college, and we had no dress requirements at all beyond "don't take the piss". And quite right too - uniform is for pupils, and once you get to sixth form, you're students. I've never been totally convinced by schools having a sixth form - some of them still think of sixth formers as kids, and don't make enough of a distinction between their school pupils and their sixth formers.
Our uniform is different to those in the secondary school. I totally get what you're saying though, like they're trying to limit our freedom. I guess I quite like it because it makes it more formal and seem more important.
geekchic664
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My sixth form simply asks us to dress smartly, no denim, uggs or t-shirts. We have to dress as if applying for a office interview. At first I thought this would be quite restricting but after reading some on here, we actually have a lot of freedom with it. Plus, it makes us completely different from the high school pupils and we stand out more so we are treated like adults, both by teachers and the community. This whole dress code works really well!
Carrby
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Our sixth form just don't want us to dress like sluts, we can wear what we normally wear within reason. No bums or boobs on show and they're happy. The boys school next door wear uniform though, the girls that attend their sixth form have a similar uniform to what you describe in your OP, black skirt and white blouse with a school blazer. I prefer our school though, I feel more on par with my teachers and it's a bit of a stepping stone between high school and university to have a bit of freedom with a dress code.
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is my uniform.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1345
Size:  213.6 KB

Red tie, White shirt, black trousers and it's supposed to be a black/grey/red cardigan but I went for navy blue
geekchic664
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Miracle Day)
This is my uniform.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1345
Size:  213.6 KB

Red tie, White shirt, black trousers and it's supposed to be a black/grey/red cardigan but I went for navy blue
Nice Minnie Mouse bed ahaha
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by geekchic664)
Nice Minnie Mouse bed ahaha
Haha it's my sisters
geekchic664
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah kinda figured it wasn't yours haha
BeccaAnne94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We didn't have a uniform at mine.

There were just some rules (which were broken mostly in summer ). eg. no flip flops, girls could only wear shorts if they also wore black tights underneath, no low cut tops, no short skirts, no high heels...there was also the issue with one guy flaunting his tattoos but he never listened
SophF_rth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We have to wear black and white. This:

Males

Black blazer
Sixth form tie (from the 'school shop')
Formal plain black trousers
Plain white shirt (tucked in at all times)
Plain black V-neck jumper, cardigan or waistcoat (optional)
Plain black shoes (trainers not permitted)

Females

Black skirt of sensible length or plain black cloth straight-cut trousers (not leggings or jeans)
Plain white shirt or blouse
Black cardigan or jacket
Black V-neck/round-neck jumper (optional)
Plain black shoes (trainers, boots and sandals not permitted)

No big earrings, wide belts or excessive jewellery are allowed, as well as obvious nail varnish and obtrusive make-up. Male sixth formers are reminded that beards, “designer stubble”, moustaches and ear jewellery are not permitted and that hair must not touch the collar or be aggressively short (i.e. no shorter than a No. 2 cut). 'Extreme' hairstyles are not allowed.
Miracle Day
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah kinda figured it wasn't yours haha
Lol -_-
Alex xander
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Woo our only rule is, no swimshorts
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm glad I don't have to wear a uniform anymore. Bored to death of it!
Snoopop
Rep:
?
My sixth form simply asks us to dress smartly, no denim, uggs or t-shirts. We have to dress as if applying for a office interview. At first I thought this would be quite restricting but after reading some on here, we actually have a lot of freedom with it. Plus, it makes us completely different from the high school pupils and we stand out more so we are treated like adults, both by teachers and the community. This whole dress code works really well!
I think your regulations sounds best. It means you get freedom but also means you dont have to spend an hour deciding what to wear for the day
Snoopop
Rep:
?
Also think its good for us to have a uniform, you know what people in Essex can be like :teehee:
I like school
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Our school is pretty fussy.

You have to wear black shoes with only kitten heels if any and the shoes can't be patent though I have no idea why. Also if they decide your shoes are getting too scruffy then they send a letter home and you have to get new ones immediately.

You can wear tights or socks but no patterns, no thick wooly ones and the socks of course have to be black.

Your skirt is supposed to be knee length and my head of house keeps spare skirts in his office so if you don't have an "appropriate skirt" then you are sent to change and have to return the skirt dry cleaned once you have an appropriate one. Also they can't be bodycon skirts or too flared ones.

You have to wear white shirts that must be tucked in at all times, even if they are fitted.

You have to wear these thick ties that look a little weird.

And then of course you have a black jacket of your own choosing which is actually a vast improvement on the blazer we used to have to wear which had red piping on it!

Lydia xx
Jen1996
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Our uniform requirements are like no ripped/worn clothing, no denim, no skinny trousers or leggings, no skirts higher than 7cm above the knee, no logo t-shirts, sportswear, no shorts or cut offs, hoodies, pumps e.t.c

I always thought it would be better to have no uniform but I think it's worse, the amount of money I have already spent on buying new clothes is ridiculous and yet the amount I've bought seems minimal. Lol worried about my skirt lengths - I'd say it's quite hard finding longer skirts in stores as mini skirts are the fashion at the moment. Whoops I bought skinny cords as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate