The Student Room Group

Uniform at sixth form?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
We can wear just normal clothes, for the first few weeks people think "ooo what shall I wear" but then it's just hoodies and jeans really :L My brother had to wear a proper suit though with the school tie
Reply 21
Original post by EmilyD237

- tights (plain black or skin-colour) MUST be worn, no socks or bare legs - though I always wear stockings, much more comfy!

Why can't you wear socks? o.0
Reply 22
Our sixth form 'dress code' was supposed to be smart-business dress and I kept to this because I really did like dressing that way - teachers take you much more seriously and treat you like an adult.

A lot of people pushed the dress code to it's limits wearing jeans, leggings, boots (we weren't allowed to wear them unless they were 'of a classic style and to the knee') t-shirts, skirts that were way to tight and way to short. The dress code itself was really good but I hated the way people didn't stick by it. It wasn't that difficult - I did it fine :smile:

As I said before, dressing smart definitely meant teachers/senior staff took you seriously and respected you :smile:
Reply 23
At my sixth form we had to wear suits.
Reply 24
Original post by squid5
Why can't you wear socks? o.0

No idea - just the rules! Always used to wear socks as I hate tights but year 11 was tights-only too. That's when my mum suggested stockings.
Mine is just 'casual office wear' so normal clothes really. However grammar schools near me all have similar smart dress codes as described above so I think it tends to be grammar sixth forms have smarter dress codes than comprehensive sixth forms, but correct me if I'm wrong haha
Reply 26
Our sixth form "uniform" was black and white smart clothing, that was it. As long as you didn't take the michael and were in black and white you were good to go.

Thankfully I moved from a private girls school to a comprehensive's sixth form otherwise I would have been wearing the uniform I had from year 7 - year 11, the small sixth form distinction being the skirt length :frown:

Secondary school: Ankle length navy blue skirt with knee length red socks (yes they checked if they reached your knees), white blouse with red stripes and a navy blazer with red lining on the collar and sleeves.
For sixth form, you could wear a knee length skirt if you wanted.
Our uniform was meant to be 'office wear', which was supposed to be shirt/blouse, skirt or work trousers for girls, and shirt, tie and trousers for boys! This basically stuck for the boys, but the girls was basically no hoodies, no jeans, no low-cut tops and no uggs or trainers :smile: and we stuck to it, for about the first 2/3 months, although most girls used to just wear a top and leggings anyway, and would be like 'well, we're not breaking any rules!' and then just started wearing black jeans and black uggs or trainers so it was less obvious, which then basically turned into blue jeans, uggs, hoodies and whatever we weren't meant to! Meanwhile all the boys were still wearing shirt, tie and trousers!!
Reply 28
...and i got shouted at for wearing seude shoes today :colone:
Original post by squid5
We can wear just normal clothes, for the first few weeks people think "ooo what shall I wear" but then it's just hoodies and jeans really :L My brother had to wear a proper suit though with the school tie

Same about the normal clothes.
Ours was office wear, skirts could not be above the knee, had to wear a shirt/blouse - which had to have sleeves, no denim/leather jackets, we also had to have shoes that had a heel on, however it wasn't black and white, but they did ask for "dark trousers or skirt" and "plain shirts".
I quite liked it to be honest. Only thing I ever got in trouble for was my choice of shoes - as I'm rather partial to irregular choice shoes, which are not usually plain...at all.
Reply 31
At our sixth form we just have black and white dress code although our school has a rather stupid ideas about suitable trousers and shoes...
At our school, the guys are required to wear a dark-coloured suit, with a plain-coloured shirt and a tie. Many of us tried to substitute our blazers with cardigans to add a bit of comfort & casualness to our attire; but were sent home and ordered to change back, despite having seen the last lower sixth wear them all last year.

Similarly, the girls are meant to wear a dark-coloured suit (naturally with the choice of a skirt/trousers), a plain-coloured shirt, with a tie being optional. However, quite a few of the girls are being allowed to wear dresses & t-shirts underneath their blazers instead. Not that I want to wear dresses underneath my blazers but I'd greatly appreciate being given a little leeway too :colondollar:

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I just find them uncomfortable, and uncalled for, especially after more than a decade of school clothes. Honestly, you feel no better than a year 10, walking passed in a suit; let alone outside of school, I personally feel so out of place. I'm seriously considering switching schools just so I can dress a bit more casually. :s-smilie:

To make matters worse, I have to go to another school for one of my lessons, with just one schoolmate and we're made to wear our suits in a relatively big class of students from three other schools without a dress-code. This just makes it that much more harder for us to integrate with the other students. Furthermore, the teachers at that school call us over to mockingly, praise our smartness. :frown:
I would've loved to have regulations at my sixth form! Not necessarily as strict as some of yours are but along the lines of no short shorts that show arse cheeks, no visible underwear e.g. sheer tops with bras blatantly on show, no crop tops etc. mainly because it's just inappropriate for 16 year old to be flashing their arse cheeks, especially in a respected learning environment that had regular visitors. But our principle was too busy stopping people hugging...
Wow lol is ur shirt tucked
Original post by Miracle Day
This is my uniform.

photo.JPG

Red tie, White shirt, black trousers and it's supposed to be a black/grey/red cardigan but I went for navy blue

Do u tuck ur shirt in
I'm not at sixth form yet but the one I'll most likely go to has no uniform or the students change when they get there because I always see the students in just normal clothing, like what most of us would wear on a normal weekend. The chav school which I'm fighting not to go to literally doesn't care, their secondary students wear mini skirts and jeans with polo shirts and their sixth formers look like they're going to a party.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending