Why can't i get a weekend job?

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've been trying to get a weekend job for a year now.

I don't know what else to do, I can't get anything!

It is my first job, are they just throwing away my CV because i have no experience?
Last edited by RK; 7 months ago
JordanS94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am like this, but my friends are going uni this year which means it's time to start applying for their jobs
At least I know before most people, getting there early and hopefully get one I am sick and tired of job hunting but at least I know there are jobs going in a lot of places
...mo...
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I also feel a bit scared that my lack of experience is going to hold me back
Rarrgh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maybe aiming to high. I don't know where you apply to but many people I know have gone round trying to get jobs and can't get any but when I ask who they apply to they'll name all the high street shops they like and when I ask if they have attempted applying at McDonald's or places like that they turn there nose down at it like they (who have never worked a day and are just starting off in the working world) are too good for those jobs. But in fact no one is.

If however you have been applying to literally everywhere and not just picking and choosing then get some people to go over you CV. There might be something wrong with it that you thought made no difference.

If your CV is fine then unfortunately your just unlucky, some people can look and look and never get a job, the main thing is to just keep at it and eventually you'll get one.
Alexandra's Box
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try volunteering in a charity shop for a bit while you look to get some retail experience.
ilickbatteries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mate, I was in your position for a while. Applied and applied and applied - companies have no incentive to take on young, inexperienced workers, really. They may be cheaper but that lack of experience is critical.

Christmas is coming up (in retail terms, Christmas starts next week...) so start applying for Christmas temp jobs. That's how I got my first job. This time two years ago I managed to bag a job at Boots working as a Christmas temp. I had my contract extended and extended and left a year later to go to university. A temp job was good for both parties because if I wasn't very good they could very easily get rid.

Since moving to York, I've had five jobs. A transfer to Boots, an unpaid internship through the university, a job at York College, a job at the University and I've now moved back to Boots.

All that because I managed to get one job.

You need to get a foot on the ladder. Once you have a job, it's easy to get one. Good qualifications and that won't swing it, really. You need to show you're employable. Anyone can get an A in Maths or whatever, but how are you with people? Your first job will likely be retail or service based.

Indeed.co.uk is your friend. Use it.

Also like someone just posted - charity shop can give you experience in retail.
TanyaZoexx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd definitely try applying for Christmas temp jobs when they start to come up soon I got my first job as a Christmas temp, and although I wasn't kept on, I've found it a lot easier to apply for jobs since then! Most people applying for Christmas temps are first-timers though, so experience wise, you're all in the same position, so just as long as your CV is impressive then you're in with a good chance good luck though, and don't give up!! x
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rarrgh)
Maybe aiming to high. I don't know where you apply to but many people I know have gone round trying to get jobs and can't get any but when I ask who they apply to they'll name all the high street shops they like and when I ask if they have attempted applying at McDonald's or places like that they turn there nose down at it like they (who have never worked a day and are just starting off in the working world) are too good for those jobs. But in fact no one is.

If however you have been applying to literally everywhere and not just picking and choosing then get some people to go over you CV. There might be something wrong with it that you thought made no difference.

If your CV is fine then unfortunately your just unlucky, some people can look and look and never get a job, the main thing is to just keep at it and eventually you'll get one.
Shizuo Heiwajima-san is right. It's not time to raise standards.
x-Sophie-x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apply for Xmas tempory positions. I have a job at debenhams over Xmas and it will be my first job.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire C
>Untitled<
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My first job was as a cleaner, I'm not sure what you're applying for, but don't aim too high with no experience, it takes time to climb the ladder :yep:
username851717
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As soon as you get a breakthrough, which should happen eventually even with no experience, keep your foot in the door and keep applying because that first job means a lot
iLikeCupcakes
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ilickbatteries)

You need to get a foot on the ladder. Once you have a job, it's easy to get one. Good qualifications and that won't swing it, really. You need to show you're employable. Anyone can get an A in Maths or whatever, but how are you with people? Your first job will likely be retail or service based.
THIS !!!

One friend never had a job, no one bats an eye lid, jobless all summer (well since a few years now tbh)

Another friend. has had a job, now just in and out of jobs like its going out of fashion.

Anyway ... Just keep trying its a numbers game a sprinkle of luck
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get your foot in the door with a Christmas temp job, usually retail stores are desperate for workers around this time so apply early (vacancies are already coming up where I work - Debenhams). Unfortunately due to data protection we aren't allowed to be handed CVs to pass on, so you will have to apply online for a vacancy (or inquire in-store).
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Work as a TSR Mod. They will give you references.
Tish
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try mcdonalds ive had 4 interviews in past 6 months. Got the job at one then quit coz it was too far. And git a job interview this Wednesday if you need any help with questions PM me ill help

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Beartow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm in the same boat. No experience, started applying at the start of summer temp work, and for two months (after literally walking up and down the city handing in a CV to every shop that would take it), applying to everything on Gumtree, applying online to big chain stores, I got absolutely nothing back.
Shoot to today, I have two interviews in two days, lol. One I had today and I have a trial tomorrow, the other for a club on Thursday. So just hang on in there! Maybe have someone look at your CV, see if they can't suggest anything. But sometimes people just have bad luck in these things.
Rosa Arabelle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ilickbatteries)
Mate, I was in your position for a while. Applied and applied and applied - companies have no incentive to take on young, inexperienced workers, really. They may be cheaper but that lack of experience is critical.<br />
<br />
Christmas is coming up (in retail terms, Christmas starts next week...) so start applying for Christmas temp jobs. That's how I got my first job. This time two years ago I managed to bag a job at Boots working as a Christmas temp. I had my contract extended and extended and left a year later to go to university. A temp job was good for both parties because if I wasn't very good they could very easily get rid.<br />
<br />
Since moving to York, I've had five jobs. A transfer to Boots, an unpaid internship through the university, a job at York College, a job at the University and I've now moved back to Boots.<br />
<br />
All that because I managed to get one job. <br />
<br />
You need to get a foot on the ladder. Once you have a job, it's easy to get one. Good qualifications and that won't swing it, really. You need to show you're employable. Anyone can get an A in Maths or whatever, but how are you with people? Your first job will likely be retail or service based.<br />
<br />
Indeed.co.uk is your friend. Use it.<br />
<br />
Also like someone just posted - charity shop can give you experience in retail.
<br />
<br />

This, definitely this

I completely agree with the fact that indeed IS going to help a lot, as long as you keep checking daily. HOnestly, I was looking for a job for three months before summer began, trying to find something togain experience. And even when I used Indeed, I wouldn't hear back from anyone, and would end up feeling useless. I changed my CV a bit ,made it less generic and more specific to each job I was applying for (yes, that is time consuming, but it'll be worth it) and I also made a cover letter outlining all of my skills and relating it back to the responsibilities expected within each job (would seriously reccomend doing this as it makes you stand out).

Then, after a month and a half of constant searching, I was called in for three interviews and managed to land a job working at River Island.

I know it's sort of an easier-said-than-done thing, but seriously do NOT give up. Ask yourself what you would think as an employer if you'd gotten a copy of your CV, and amend it so that it's exactly what the employer's looking for.
If you'd like your CV looked over, I'm sure there's a forum on here for that - someone will be able to help you directly.

All the best.
x
deedee123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It really is disheartening, I hate how you spend an hour or two filling out a lengthy application and they cant even be bothered to send you an automated rejection e-mail. I've been applying for the past year, looking for any job every single day and applying to everything, and i've had 1 interview which i didn't get. I worked in M&S (which is quite respected in retail) and volunteered in a charity shop every week for a year and have 5 Higher qualifcations. And still....Nothing....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed