The Student Room Group

Need help on my choice!!!!

I got my last reply today from the cource that i applied to. My offers r as shown in my signature.

Med was the course that i really want to do but, unfortunately, i couldn't get in. I was thinking to reapply for Medicine and Pharmacy at the end of this year(2007 entry). I'm not sure if i should accept one of the unconditional course now (as for insurance, incase i couldnt get in any Uni next year:p: ), or should i reject all of that and reapply next year:confused: .

Can anyone give some advice please.Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hmmm - well, if medecine is really what you want to do, I would reapply next year. Take the year off, and get a break from school. Travel! From what I've heard, medecine is a VERY demanding course, so a year off might give you a well deserved break before university.
Reply 2
WokSz
hmmm - well, if medecine is really what you want to do, I would reapply next year. Take the year off, and get a break from school. Travel! From what I've heard, medecine is a VERY demanding course, so a year off might give you a well deserved break before university.

I'm definetely going to take a year out but not to travel: I have to save lots of money!!:frown:
Reply 3
There's no harm accepting one of your unconditional offers now (the one which you most want to go to, no matter how you dislike all of them). You could always withdraw your application from UCAS entire come results day without having to pay any kind of a penalty. At least you have a safety net should you have a change of mind and decide not to take a gap year.
Reply 4
Knogle
There's no harm accepting one of your unconditional offers now (the one which you most want to go to, no matter how you dislike all of them). You could always withdraw your application from UCAS entire come results day without having to pay any kind of a penalty. At least you have a safety net should you have a change of mind and decide not to take a gap year.

I'm differing entry. My question is: should i accept an offer, and reapply some cources next year , and if i got an offer next year i can reject my current offer. I'm not sure if i am allow to do this.:frown:
Reply 5
No, strictly that's not allowed. Although some people have taken the risk and succeeded with it.

You should withdraw your applications from UCAS completely if you re-apply.
Reply 6
Knogle
No, strictly that's not allowed. Although some people have taken the risk and succeeded with it.

You should withdraw your applications from UCAS completely if you re-apply.

Thanks for replying.
If i do what u have told m I might not get any offer next year because i dont think i'll do well in my Advance Highers:frown: . And this is what I'm worry bout:frown:
Will i need to include my higher results that i achieved last year along with my AH results (that i will get this year) if i re-apply?
The entry requirements for Pharmacy is ABBB and I have got AAABC last year so i'm not worry. But how if i do badly this year ? Do you think that will affect my application?:confused:
Reply 7
speedstacker
Thanks for replying.
If i do what u have told m I might not get any offer next year because i dont think i'll do well in my Advance Highers:frown: . And this is what I'm worry bout:frown:
Will i need to include my higher results that i achieved last year along with my AH results (that i will get this year) if i re-apply?
The entry requirements for Pharmacy is ABBB and I have got AAABC last year so i'm not worry. But how if i do badly this year ? Do you think that will affect my application?:confused:

I don't get it.. how can you qualify based on one year's grades, and not based on the next year's grades.. when all you're doing next year is obtaining additional qualifications?
Reply 8
Knogle
I don't get it.. how can you qualify based on one year's grades, and not based on the next year's grades.. when all you're doing next year is obtaining additional qualifications?

Sorry if i confused you. Even i'm confused by myself with what i've said.:p:
What I mean was I might not do well in the exams in May and might end up with results which are not as good as I got last year. And this might affect my application when i reapply. I think the administrator might thought I'm not commited.
Hope this helps.:redface:
ps :R u a Singaporean?
Reply 9
speedstacker
Sorry if i confused you. Even i'm confused by myself with what i've said.:p:
What I mean was I might not do well in the exams in May and might end up with results which are not as good as I got last year. And this might affect my application when i reapply. I think the administrator might thought I'm not commited.
Hope this helps.:redface:
ps :R u a Singaporean?

Well they're just additional qualifications right? If you already qualify for a course and meet the off requirements using your existing qualifications, then those additional ones are pretty redundant. So no, I don't think they'll really affect your application.

And yes, I am. :smile:
Reply 10
Knogle
Well they're just additional qualifications right? If you already qualify for a course and meet the off requirements using your existing qualifications, then those additional ones are pretty redundant. So no, I don't think they'll really affect your application.

And yes, I am. :smile:

Thanks for the replies:smile: ! They r really helpful.:wink:They worth a (+) rep :cool:
ps:I'm a Malaysian:biggrin: .We r neighbours:biggrin:
Reply 11
speedstacker
Thanks for the replies:smile: ! They r really helpful.:wink:They worth a (+) rep :cool:
ps:I'm a Malaysian:biggrin: .We r neighbours:biggrin:

Yeah, I figured from that flag of yours. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Knogle
Yeah, I figured from that flag of yours. :biggrin:

:teeth: I guess so
Be warned: medical schools don't look very kindly on retakers/re-appliers, either they say no outright or give you a grudging interview, because they are so many applicants each year they don't want to or need to look at people who didn't get a place the year before...
If medincine is what you really want to do then i suggest you take a year out and reapply next year - using your year out to get experience eg/ work in am old peoples home, work with diasbled kids, work as an auxilary in your local hospital. If you don't get into med next year perhaps you would get into med biology or pharmacology through clearing, or just reapply for them too.

I hate to say this but your grades that i assume are for scottish highers are not really high enough for most med schools who have lots of applicants with better grades...they really look for excellent highers all in the one sitting as opposed to over two years. I guess that you are doing advanced highers this year, what do you expect to get?
Reply 15
BUBBLES1123
If medincine is what you really want to do then i suggest you take a year out and reapply next year - using your year out to get experience eg/ work in am old peoples home, work with diasbled kids, work as an auxilary in your local hospital. If you don't get into med next year perhaps you would get into med biology or pharmacology through clearing, or just reapply for them too.

I hate to say this but your grades that i assume are for scottish highers are not really high enough for most med schools who have lots of applicants with better grades...they really look for excellent highers all in the one sitting as opposed to over two years. I guess that you are doing advanced highers this year, what do you expect to get?

I think they might have exception for me because i'm an international student and have done SQA highers. I'm indeed doing Advanced higher Sciences and my teachers r expecting me to get AAB in all three. But i know it's impossible anyway.:p: I also know that I'm not very outstanding and that's why i'm not moaning even i've been rejected. i guess i have to forget bout Med and try for other cources.:frown:
ps: I have been to Aberdeen interview last time but still couldn't get in:frown: .
Reply 16
sophisti_kate
Be warned: medical schools don't look very kindly on retakers/re-appliers, either they say no outright or give you a grudging interview, because they are so many applicants each year they don't want to or need to look at people who didn't get a place the year before...

I'm sorry but i have to say what i have heard about retakers are different from what you have said. my teacher and friends told me that the will more likely consider retakers because that shows that the applicants r really interested and blar blar blar. And i have been to an interview in Aberdeen and they were well nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:
Oh well, good luck anyhoo!
Reply 18
sophisti_kate
Oh well, good luck anyhoo!

Cheers mate:biggrin:
Reply 19
Hey guys, thanks for all the advices! After i've spoken to the Administrators and UCAS I came to a conclusion: I'm going to decline all the offers and reapply next year.

The Pharmacology administrator told me that i will still have a chance to get into that cours as i already achieved what they were looking for. And the Pharmacy (RGU) said i could apply next year and it shouldn't be a problem to get in as i have met the entry requirements!!!I'm sooooo happy. However i have to obtain 6 in IELTS as i dont have a qualification in Higher English and i'm a foreigner. but that shouldn't be a problem!
Yae!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending