The Student Room Group

CFA vs CIMA: Which is less difficult/cheaper/globally recognized?

Hi Everyone,

I am debating between the CFA and CIMA qualifications. I currently work at JPMorgan in the Product Control group within the Investment Bank.

I realize that these qualifications are very different, but I am basing my decision on the following factors: global recognition (including the US), degree of difficulty (which one is considered less difficult), and least expensive.

The CFA, I feel, is more globally recognized than the CIMA (I may consider moving back to the US in a few years). Would you say the CIMA is well recognized? Which one would you consider more difficult?

Also, I've been looking at the CIMA courses offered at LSBF, do you think it would be a waste of money to take the courses when (from my understanding) CIMA provides you with everything you need to study? And what exactly do they mean by tuition and revision courses? I'm assuming I'll get the revision material from CIMA itself...

I would definitely consider taking courses to help me study for the CFA because I feel that there are only 3 exams I need to pass, whereas for the CIMA, because there are 9+ papers, it will cost a fortune to study for each in part.

Thanks - appreciate your help.
Reply 1
Apples and oranges. What do you want to do career-wise?

If you want to leave your options that wide open, take the CFA. It's harder and more expensive but more respected and versatile in my opinion.
Reply 2
Do CFA and get JPM to pay for it. Simples.
Reply 3
Prospective CFA L1 candidate here. Not sure on CIMA, but I can assure you the CFA isn't easy (very time-consuming) and has a very good reputation globally. It also depends on where you want to see yourself in a few years, CFA is essentially for investment management professionals (AM, HFs, pension funds, PB), so a lot of it hinges on that too.
Reply 4
No offence, but why are you asking a bunch of students about it?
Reply 5
Original post by crustz
No offence, but why are you asking a bunch of students about it?

Some of us are ex-students now in industry and some are just very well-read in these things. I happen to work with a company that offers both qualifications and feel pretty comfortable giving my opinion on this.

Quick Reply

Latest