The Student Room Group

Homophobia at work

Hi everybody, I am a gay 17 year old guy and am starting to think about what job i want to do in the future. I am interested in being either a policeman or a car salesman (I know very different jobs) and am wondering will being gay stop me from being successful at these jobs ? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
I sure hope your being gay won't stop you from being succesful. It's the 21st century after all.
Reply 3
No. You might come across some *******s though.
No, you need not worry. Being gay isn't a big deal anymore. Not in those jobs anyway. There's always going to be a possibility of meeting some bigoted people, but just rise above it and report them.
People are also more open about their sexuality these days, you won't be alone.
Reply 5
It isnt relevant
Reply 6
Is this actually a serious question? I think its extremely rare these days for people to be subject to any kind of discrimination...mostly because its illegal and also because people are more open minded about others.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC
Reply 7
Honestly people who judge people by sexuality, race, religion etc are very close minded people. Being gay wouldn't change how you do your job, nor does it matter. Todays society is more open now, and people are becoming more open minded :-)
Reply 8
Original post by Jahe
Hi everybody, I am a gay 17 year old guy and am starting to think about what job i want to do in the future. I am interested in being either a policeman or a car salesman (I know very different jobs) and am wondering will being gay stop me from being successful at these jobs ? Thanks

I've not experienced any negative effect of being openly gay, in my career.
Lets hope you are not a prison guard
Reply 10
Original post by Mad Vlad
I've not experienced any negative effect of being openly gay, in my career.

Are you a car salesman?
Reply 11
Original post by Jahe

Do you need a degree for that?
Original post by Juichiro
Do you need a degree for that?

You don't need a degree for any job, really.

It helps though.
Reply 13
Original post by ilickbatteries
You don't need a degree for any job, really.

It helps though.

You definately need a degree to teach at schools, to be a doctor, a lawyer, a psychologist. I just named a few. :wink:
Reply 14
Are you a car salesman?

You have the answer to that question.
Reply 15
You have the answer to that question.

Alright. What types of cars you sell? Second hand? I might need some advise from you.
Reply 16
Alright. What types of cars you sell? Second hand? I might need some advise from you.

:facepalm2: I work in information security, as my signature suggests.
Reply 17
:facepalm2: I work in information security, as my signature suggests.

First, your sig is hidden. I don't creep in people's sigs. Sigh.

Second, "am wondering will being gay stop me from being successful at these jobs?" His question was specific, you gave a general answer, what kind of Mod are you? A SuperMod? Really? :rolleyes:

Third, what do you usually do in your Information Security job? Do you just work on anti-virus software or is it more? What is it?

Fourth, what is Digital Forensics about?

Fifth, where did you get your profile picture from?
Reply 18
First, your sig is hidden. I don't creep in people's sigs. Sigh.

Second, "am wondering will being gay stop me from being successful at these jobs?" His question was specific, you gave a general answer, what kind of Mod are you? A SuperMod? Really? :rolleyes:

Third, what do you usually do in your Information Security job? Do you just work on anti-virus software or is it more? What is it?

Fourth, what is Digital Forensics about?

Fifth, where did you get your profile picture from?

My signature isn't hidden. Judging by your fourth question, you're able to see it.

Nobody could answer that question from a specific perspective. And yes, I am a Supermoderator.

It's more.

Digital Forensics

The internet.
Reply 19

Information Security is more.

Specify please. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending