The Student Room Group

'Non-Academic Subjects'

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I hate to say this but all 3 of your subjects are considered soft A-levels.
What degree do you want to do at UCL?
Religion is probably your only 'decent' subject, although its still not as academic as other subjects.

There might be a list of accepted subjects on their website somewhere, so you could try looking for that. If there isn't one (or you can't find one) email them, explain the situation and see what they say. They may say its not a problem, but if it is you could look into doing more rigorous subjects elsewhere.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
(edited 11 years ago)
Whilst it doesn't place you in the best of stead, perhaps this disadvantage could be overturned if made explicit in your teacher reference that there was no facility at the college to study more academic subjects?
Reply 5
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Whilst it doesn't place you in the best of stead, perhaps this disadvantage could be overturned if made explicit in your teacher reference that there was no facility at the college to study more academic subjects?

I guess I could mention that. That, plus the fact I am doing extra A Levels in my gap year could show I am keen to learn and do good in life.
Original post by Zadeth
Law. I've made the best out of a bad situation in my choices.

as long as you have a great personal statement and you get the required grades you should be fine. it will also help if you have volunteering and relevant work experience as law is very competitive
Reply 7
Original post by madmadmax321
as long as you have a great personal statement and you get the required grades you should be fine. it will also help if you have volunteering and relevant work experience as law is very competitive

Yeah, I was considering volunteering next year. Not just so I can put it on my personal statement/CV, but I feel everyone in life needs a helping hand at one point in their life - some earlier or more than others.
Reply 8
Thanks for all the help and advice given in this forum.
Original post by Zadeth
On their website, it says:
"If you wish to study at UCL you should offer a minimum of two A level subjects from the list of preferred subjects. We are happy to accept any subject as the third A level you offer, provided the other two subjects appear on the approved list."

Both ICT and Religion appear there - so I think I should be alright.

Sounds good then (If you're sure ICT and applied ICT are the same thing).
You haven't started your AS Levels yet? I'd suggest looking to change colleges! Call around and find a 6th form college or school who have spaces for this year. Law at UCL is 4th in the country! That's a pretty competitive course and uni. combination.

Using the "my college didn't offer traditional A-Levels" reason may work with some less prestigious universities, but probably not with UCL.

To other commenters: I am not an expert on Law at UCL, so feel free to correct me.

Edit; Just seen the comment above stating UCL's accepted A-Levels. In that case, I suppose your combination would be fine. However, most people will have 3 strong A2's so perhaps the competition would be something to take into consideration :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zadeth
In my gap year, I shall be doing probably English and History (English probably as a full A Level, History as an AS just) in order to help me hopefully secure a place.

English (assuming Lit): A*
Religion: A*
Applied ICT: A*
Health and Social: A*
History: a

Even with those maximum results, there will still be a lot of people with A*s in Mathematics, History, Economics, FM, etc..

I suppose, unless there is a huge personal reason why you can't go to another 6th form college, then you really are making the best of a bad situation - in which case, ensure you get mitigating circumstances regarding the situation and you should hopefully be fine :smile: but if not, I would really personally suggest you change. It will give you such a boost! When I was studying for my A-Levels, I had to travel quite a distance to an out-of-town college, because my local one didn't offer me Mathematics.
Reply 12
Original post by tsr-member
English (assuming Lit): A*
Religion: A*
Applied ICT: A*
Health and Social: A*
History: a

Even with those maximum results, there will still be a lot of people with A*s in Mathematics, History, Economics, FM, etc..

I suppose, unless there is a huge personal reason why you can't go to another 6th form college, then you really are making the best of a bad situation - in which case, ensure you get mitigating circumstances regarding the situation and you should hopefully be fine :smile: but if not, I would really personally suggest you change. It will give you such a boost! When I was studying for my A-Levels, I had to travel quite a distance to an out-of-town college, because my local one didn't offer me Mathematics.

The main reason I don't want to move schools is simple. It would be such an upheaval for me, meeting new people, learning a new school, getting used to new teachers. I feel this may take away from my learning and possibly affect my grades.
Honestly, try and find a better college that will give the oppourtunity to do decent subjects.
Original post by Zadeth
The main reason I don't want to move schools is simple. It would be such an upheaval for me, meeting new people, learning a new school, getting used to new teachers. I feel this may take away from my learning and possibly affect my grades.

I changed schools for sixth form and am glad I chose to, in fact I think i am happier now than when I was at my old school. :smile:
Original post by Zadeth

Are you sure you are making the right choice by going to university? That sounds offensive but it isn't meant to be.

Meeting new people, learning a new school, getting used to new teachers......... If you can't do that at A level, what hope have you got at university?

I wouldn't have thought that top universities would be interested in students who can't change school because of things like that, because in my eyes those are exactly all the things that university will be.

EDIT: Also, if you can take a gap year or two, and do English and history..... Why can't you do that now instead of this school? That's how universities might see it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist

This. I'm pretty sure there was an option somewhere on the UCAS application which allowed you to say that you were limited in your A-level choices due to the school/college/institution you were studying at. This was speaking from 2 years back. Even so, I would definately get your referees on your UCAS application to mention this and perhaps also in your personal statement, so that at least th university you've applied to knows that you are aware of this and are doing your best to make the best of your situation.

I'm currently a final year law student at university and only realised in my second year when doing my A-levels that all the A-Level subjects I was doing were regarded as 'soft' subjects (I did: A-Level Accounting, ICT, Law, and AS Business Studies) for Law. So I decided to do another A-Level (Economics) to help with my application in my gap year and I just managed to get an offer from a uni generally within the top 10 in league tables for Law. So it can definitely be done. Just make sure you have a strong personal statement, references and also try and fit in some good extra-curricular activities/ work experience related to your field of study (which I am assuming is Law) to boost your prospects.

Hope that helps. :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Hustler-1337
This. I'm pretty sure there was an option somewhere on the UCAS application which allowed you to say that you were limited in your A-level choices due to the school/college/institution you were studying at. This was speaking from 2 years back. Even so, I would definately get your referees on your UCAS application to mention this and perhaps also in your personal statement, so that at least th university you've applied to knows that you are aware of this and are doing your best to make the best of your situation.

I am also a law student and only realised in my second year that all the A-Level subjects I was doing were regarded as 'soft' subjects (I did: A-Level Accounting, ICT, Law, and AS Business Studies). So I decided to do another A-Level (Economics) to help with my application in my gap year and I've just managed to get an offer from a uni generally within the top 10 in league tables for Law. So it can definatel be done. Just make sure you have a strong personal statement, references and also try and fit in some good extra-curricular activities/ work experience related to your field of study (which I am assuming is Law) to boost your prospects.

Hope that helps. :wink:

Thanks!
Original post by Zadeth
Really? In all honesty I think I'm just going to do these three, then take a gap year (or two, if needed) and do English Lit and History as A Levels.

UCL and other top unis don't like people taking more than 2 years to do their A levels :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by AspiringGenius
UCL and other top unis don't like people taking more than 2 years to do their A levels :smile:

Oh.

Quick Reply

Latest