AQA AS/A2 German Watch

This discussion is closed.
rowei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Does anybody here do AQA AS/A2 German? If so, how did you find last Tuesday's (20th May) Unit 2 and what questions did you answer?
Zaphod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I've just done the AS. Not sure if I'll be doing A2 though.

I answered Q1 - about Germans' attitude to the European Community (or at least I hope it was about that!) and just rambled generally about people liking the Euro and the Schengen Agreement.

For Q3, I wrote about the energy requirement/use in Germany.

I thought that question was a bit narrow as it only asked for ONE environmental problem although it wasn't as narrow as the Jan 2003 question we had for practice about the attitude of German large firms. As for Q2, wasn't that about the change in a German city over the past year?! I thought it was, so I avoided it.

Overall, it could have been worse.
rowei
Rep:
?
Thanks for the reply! I also did questions 1 and 3. For question 1 I wrote about the Euro, the Schengen Agreement and ERASMUS - not sure if that was relevant though! I found question 3 quite hard, but wrote about how Germany needed to reduce its energy consumption by recycling more etc. Good luck in your results.
Zaphod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks!

I didn't write about ERASMUS, but afterwards my teacher told me I should have done (yeah, really helpful, thanks a lot!).

Luckily my Unit 3 presentation was about energy consumption/reduction so I knew some relevant facts for Q3.

Good luck also.
rowei
Rep:
?
That's strange, my Unit 3 oral presentation was on a similar topic (renewable energy). Hope your oral went well in the end. I had to do both Unit 3 and Unit 6 on the same day, which was a complete nightmare! Anyway, just Units 4 and 5 to go now....
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i got my unit 6 oral 2morow, im SO scared, i just know im gonna fail
rowei
Rep:
?
Good luck for tomorrow. I'm sure you'll do fine. Let me know how you get on.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
ok, i really think i fudged up big time, i reckons ive got about 5 marks maybe i did a whole lotta umming and aahring and not alot of deutsch lol

ah well im jus gonna have to work EXTRA hard on me reading, writing and listening papers. thats wat i did last year and got me a D hehe

*prays*
rowei
Rep:
?
Sorry to hear about your oral. Mine was a bit of a disaster too, especially the first part (prepared card). Some of the vocabulary in the English articles is just too hard even for A-level, and it is therefore really hard to convey the information on the card in German. Have you got units 4 and 5 next week too? What are you studying for unit 5?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
yea nxt week monday and wednesday

unit 5 is writing right? I'm studying a book called Brandopfer, pity u cant take it in wiv u , gotta memorise lol :P
rowei
Rep:
?
Yeah it's writing. What else are you doing for Unit 5? I'm doing a region of Germany and "Die Verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum" (Böll).
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
im doing about Das Wiedervereinigung Deutschland (changes after the wall fell etc...)

cant wait till its all over!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
eeeeb! exam is in just under 2hrs (Unit 4) *prays* lol
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i found the paper quite hard....but thats coz im not that smart lol, how do u think it went?

now to revise for Unit 5 *studies hard*
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hello!
i am new here, but i like the posts. i think it is because i feel so isolated being the only person that does german AS or A2 in the school and its nice to see people talking about german for once. there are 2 people of equal or higher standard to me here, and they are teachers. and one of them has a completely appalling anglified accent that i can't listen to w/out getting irritated. a few other people here do different languages but its not the same! i need german people! anyways i just took my german AS oral today but i dont know how it went because the examiner smiles no matter what you say, dammit! i want my results! i want them now! alright - vent over. i will retreat back into my little german-free shell now. xx.
rowei
Rep:
?
Don't worry, you're not alone! There's a few German students on here. Hope the oral went well. What board was it with?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i am doing AQA. i took the writing and listening on the 20th june. are you doing german? and are you doing it alone? i have to sit with my teacher alone for hours each week and its so so dull. i cant wait until i get to uni and have more than one voice to listen to every day. plus she always picks up on it when i didnt do the work, because theres no one else around so that i can say 'look - she didnt do the work either.' am getting severely bored with german as a result. xx
rowei
Rep:
?
I did French A-level in 1998 and had the same problem then as there were only two of us in the class. You feel like there's no escape, don't you? As for the German, I've just completed an A-level in German (couldn't do it when I was at school), but have had to learn it myself as a "private candidate", and bloody hard it was too! I didn't really know any of the other German students at the local college, so felt completely on my own. Thank God for this message board, that's what I say!

P.S. I did AQA too. How did you find the exams?
Zaphod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hello

I believe lack of learners in languages (esp. German) is a real problem nationwide. My college will have a maximum of 4 doing the subject for A2 next year, if I choose to do it. Of course, there are benefits to small classes, but when they get too small it's just silly.

I'm sure such low numbers mean that it can't be economical to keep providing it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it stopped being offered after my teacher retires. I know for a fact that the languages dept has shrunk loads in the last couple of decades, from 3 full classes of French, to just one.

And I don't think the situation's really going to be helped by making languages optional at GCSE. Sad really, this country's ignorant enough of foreign languages as it is.
Zaphod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh, what did people think of AQA A2 German, btw? I'm probably doing it next year, but was wondering if people think it's a huge step up from the AS modules, or just an extension.

Thanks for any input.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%